Wings 30th Anniversary Legend!

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Indydawg

Wings 30th Anniversary Legend!

Post by Indydawg »

I got a great little surprise when I got home from work today! I get out of the car to find a USWings box in my garage!

I got it inside and opened it up, and...well....WHOA just doesn't quite get there.

The leather used for the Antique Lambskin 30th Anniversary Legend jacket is nothing short of awesome. Soft as buttah out of the box, warm mocha undertones and dark chocolate overtones...and a very even coloring...not mottled like the earlier lightweight New Zealand lamb. This lamb is considerably more substantial, too...at least twice as thick as the NZ lamb without sacrificing suppleness or softness. It feels denser, too...shades of goatskin in density....not near enough I'd take on a truck drag with it, but I ain't afraid to wear it either...

The collar dimensions, for some reason, seem to be more reminiscent of the LC jacket, the pocket flaps are, again, beautifully scalloped, and the pocket dimensions seem more..."on" with this one.

Downsides? Well, I do find this jacket seeming to "ride up" more in the front? Odd, too...only Wings jacket I've ever seen this. I'm sure it will even out as the jacket relaxes and molds to me. It doesn't seem to fit as "neatly" as the Schott made Bison Legend I have...but, that could also be the diff between buffalo and lambs...

Oh...and, I have to be honest that I just don't like the sliders...again. They are thin, very angular, sharp corners...smaller, for sure, but, I'd just prefer them a bit more rounded at the corners and a more substantial metal.

The lining is perfect, the leather is fan-freaking-tastic, and I can see this jacket aging and breaking in quite rapidly. The fit is snug without being restrictive, the sleeve length is perfect (size medium, as always, and I'm a VERY happy camper)...honestly, I might like it MORE than my bison Legend, if for no other reason than I'll wear it MORE!

I snapped a few shots that I'll send on to Wings later, so watch the site...and I'll post them here when I can get to it tomorrow or so.

All things considered...I'd probably change out the sliders to pull towards the front anyway...I just like that better....and since that's my only real "issue" with the thing...heck, I can't see anyone going wrong with this one!

Nicely done, Sarge and Co.! I cannot thank you the way I wish I could! This will have to do for now!

I love it! Thank you so very much for the chance to wear another amazing Wings jacket!
:TOH: :whip:

Regards!
Indydawg
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wings 30th Anniversary Legend!

Post by Tennessee Smith »

:WLWOP:

Sorry Dawg, had to do it ;) :lol:

Great review though. Make sure you take good pics of the back panel :tup:

Good stuff!!!
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Ok...finally sat down and uploaded the few pics I was able to take by myself using the camera's timer. We'll get some more taken when it isn't 110 in the shade....

More to come, guys! Enjoy!

Later!
Indydawg
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

If you'll recall, Sgt. posted this back on June 13th:
.... BTW we will also be sending all the Models that are on our site a free Legend 30th Anniversary jacket at that time! I also will be giving all COW members only a very large discount on this jacket.....
Sarge
Regards! Michaelson
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

I did remember that...just with work getting going and everything else, I guess it had slipped my mind.

I actually HAD emails that I hadn't seen in my inbox notifying me it was shipping and on the way....I just hadn't checked that email because the college server had been down getting ready for school to start there yesterday....

Just me being off radar at a critical moment...go figure, right? The guy who missed ALL the Crystal Skull goings on? Yeah....sometimes my timing's off...
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

Mine is on the way and I'm really looking forward to getting it. That said, I AM concerned about the sizing because of the smaller cut the appears to have been adopted. Aside from being too generous around the waist, my Antique Cowhide fits me perfectly..

Here's hoping the measurements I gave Myke were of some use....

Best

MARK
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

The last thing you'll have to be concerned with on these jackets is being 'generous around the waist'. They are definitely cut much slimmer than the usual Wings offerings.

Regards! Michaelson
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, mine arrived yesterday and it was a large and I wear an XL (so I am sending it back for the right size). That said, it was snug. ;) Then again... I wear an XL :lol:

I did notice the body was a tad shorter than my Striated lamb USW... but I'm comparing a Large to an XL so it's like comparing apples to oranges at this point. I will say the sleeve length was good still. I'm sure the XL with give me and extra 1/2 inch there and with my long arms it should be perfect.... and I like long sleeves (TofD).

One more thing I will say about the jacket is just how soft it is. I mean... It's like butter... and the color is perfect. Like Dawg said, it's not as varied as the last offering, much more consistant through and through. The thinner hide also made the side straps thinner which looks spot on in my book.

:TOH:
-TS
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

without pictures....IT NEVER HAPPENED!!!! :whip:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

That's the way I play it. 8)

Regards! Michaelson
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

:roll:

Fine

... . .. .. .. ..... ... .. .. . . . ... . . .. . .. .. .
. . .. ... .. .. .... . . . . ... . .... .. .. .... .. . ..

Michaelson... since you're wearing you're blind man's glasses I provided you the above pics in braille... 8)

Enjoy

;) :TOH:

-TS
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Uh, no. :-s My point is, no photos, therefore it never happened. Works for me. :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

I got that :lol:

That's why I took all of those pics of me trying it on, repacking it it in the box and even me handing the package to the lady at the counter of the Post Office... obviously, your Braille glasses aren't working well :lol:

jeesh, I even spelled it out for you.... :[ :Plymouth:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Like I said....it never happened then, so I don't care. [-(

:lol:
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

I'm looking forward to seeing your pics Indydawg. Your's too Mark! I hope you guys got a perferct fit. I've had mine long enough to wear in all kinds of weather, and let me tell you, after some rain, followed by plenty of heat, the leather not only looks, but feels the part. I love it! I'll be wearing mine to deer camp this weekend.

Weston
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Maybe when TS gets his in hand and he and I meet up to exchange 'prisoners' in Murfreesboro (some G&B rectangular buckles for a Hallmark Indy Ornament and a cup of Old Tyme Pottery coffee ;) ), maybe he can take some photos of BOTH our jackets. That's supposed to take place in a few weeks.

If there's still interest by then, he and I will talk about it. :TOH:

Regards !Michaelson
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sounds like a plan :tup:

I'll be sure to bring the polaroid!!!! ;)

Sure the download speed is slower that a pack of elephants trudging through peanut butter but the Kodachrome colors are marvelous!!!! :lol:

-TS

P.S. first cup is on me
Indydawg

Re: Wings 30th Anniversary Legend-Now with PICS!

Post by Indydawg »

Same weekend I'll probably be navigating on floating tires in lakes of fire and dragging myself over boulders in the Ditch the City extreme trail race above Athens...

Have a cup o' joe on me, boys....and I'll try to have some more pics posted by then, too!

Oh...yeah...I did get the photos posted...see above!

Cheers!
Indydawg
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

Great looking jacket and pictures IndyDawg, you wear it well. The jacket looks like another winner from Sarge and US Wings.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Gotta say...that looks purty good! :tup:
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

It wears well....soft as ####! I can't wait for cooler weather to really break her in!

Thanks guys!
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

Hi - what size did you order and can you provide some measurements ? Thanks
bounos
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bounos »

You Gotta love this Jacket! :clap: :clap: :clap:
George

Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

nice jacket bonus! what size is this?
bounos
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bounos »

Holt wrote:nice jacket bonus! what size is this?
Hi Holt,

XXL,

I consulted with US Wings about the size and they informed me that with the jacket being a smaller cut, I should go 1 size up.
They were spot on with that advice. It fits like a glove!
The goatskin is simply stunning to look at and it feels AMAZING!
The pic was taken with the jacket straight out of the box.

George :TOH:
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

May I ask the sleeve length and back length for your XXL? I'm finding it so hard to get measurements for USW jackets despite painstaking research! Thanks
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Here is mine along with the Wings Goatskin Legend for comparison...Lambskin on the right..
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 100851.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lambskin on the lower side
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 101441.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lambskin on the lower side..
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 101515.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and just to show grain and fit...
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 100000.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

Gorak wrote:Here is mine along with the Wings Goatskin Legend for comparison...Lambskin on the right..
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 100851.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lambskin on the lower side
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 101441.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lambskin on the lower side..
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 101515.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and just to show grain and fit...
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 100000.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nice jacket! Very ToD, IMO. :tup:
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

I couldn't help it! After seeing IndyDawg's photos and gorak's comparison shots I had to get one. I needed a new jacket anyway cause my Wested off the rack 3XL was getting way too big as I shrink here. :D

I'll post photos in full gear as soon as I get the jacket. Should be here this week. I'm, of course, doing Indy for Halloween this year but I'm going to hang out down on the Strip and take photos with people and have a good time.

W
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Good stuff Wade!! Look forward to seeing those pics!
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

Ok, so here's a preliminary set of photos taken by myself in the bathroom window. So Myspace, I know! lol

Anyway... I ordered a XXL because that would be my true size. Also, I am losing weight on my diet and with my physical therapy and all so I hope to not fill out this jacket too much longer as much as I currently do. First things first. I ordered a different jacket and exchanged it for this one. The US Wings customer service was awesome and they really helped me find the one jacket that best fit my needs. Someday I'm going to get a fully custom made steer hide jacket just for the toughness but for now I had to concentrate on Halloween, the Summit, and taking product photos for my new website.

I previously have only had one other Indy jacket, the Wested washed goat off the rack XXL. I liked the coat, it didn't fit that great and I had the sleeves taken in to taper and fit my arms better. The US Wings 30th Anniversary Antique Lambskin Legend Jacket is currently on sale for $195 so I jumped on it. With my weight loss and the fact that I just never considered the Wested washed goat to be the right Raiders color I couldn't help myself.

Well, here it is:

Out of the box the leather looked superb and was very supple and had fantastic color. Already pleased. I then put it on and found it a little tight, but that's nothing abnormal with leather goods (as I know), so I began to get it wet and wear it throughout the day so it would subtly conform to my body and lose that new jacket stiffness they all get. I'm pleased to say that this jacket is not only very comfortable, it is the perfect weight for Vegas type weather and I've been wearing it without sweating my cajones off as I have with other jackets around here. It breaths, is lightweight, and has a great feel and the fit is much superior to my off the rack Wested. But this is not meant to be a comparison.

Now, I'm a bigger guy, and I'm losing weight so this jacket will settle in and hang just right. The sleeve length is perfect and in full gear I had no problem moving around or accessing my bag, etc. As advertised, the lambskin is soft and supple and not exactly what I would consider adventure worthy as say the cowhides and American Bison versions, but if you live in a warmer climate and want a fantastic looking and great fitting screen accurate jacket I can now highly recommend the US Wings 30th Anniversary Antique Lambskin Legend jacket. I think I'll not only be wearing this for my Indy jacket this Halloween, but I'll also be wearing it this winter in Vegas when I'm rolling around town in jeans and a big ### belt buckle. :whip:

In short, I highly recommend the US Wings jacket and will be posting more full gear shots in my 'Scrapbook' thread over there. Got the nephew coming over to get sized for a 6 year olds Jack Sparrow baldric and some belts for his pirate costume. Then we're hitting the desert for some costume photo shoot fun.

Here's the quick shots of the jacket in the mirror to show the fit and texture. Again, I'm a bigger guy and got the true size so that I could shrink into it over time.

W

Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

NICE!!
Christian Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Christian Jones »

Very nice ! I love the color.
Looks like this jacket was made for you :tup: .
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Agreed.
That looks VERY nice onya, Wade... Congrats on this great new jacket!
:D :tup:
Dragonlady Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dragonlady Jones »

"Bathroom Window"...love it. Great jacket Wade!
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

That is a great looking jacket. If there is anything that Wings nailed, its those pocket flaps. Love 'em!
steerpike
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by steerpike »

I love this jacket!!

Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

Tundrarider wrote:Nice jacket, Wade!!! :H:

Looks perfect with your naturally distressed tee shirt!!! :P

Michael :TOH:
Since I work 7 days a week all my T-Shirts are 'naturally distressed' Michael! lol

:)
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

Went hiking tonight with Phlebas and it was chilly so the perfect time to break in my jacket. Got some cell phone photos just to see how it looks after I've washed it and given it a once over but not a full distress. It's feeling really good right now. Totally digging the feel and look of the leather. It's really dark in some lights and a rich brown in others. Like my Raiders belt. I think I need to lose 15 more pounds and/or if the jacket was about 2" longer because of my height I would think it's perfect. I'm already wearing it every night and on walks so it's definitely the go to jacket right now. It's hot here in Vegas but the wind blows at night and it is about 68 degrees so the lightweight lambskin is the perfect weight for walks and going out on the town.

Our dusk walk in the desert out back of my place.

W.E.