Brand new 403s...now what?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Inv8r
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Brand new 403s...now what?

Post by Inv8r »

Sooo...I just received my very first real pair of boots, some 403s (don't get me started on the issues getting them sent to Canada....the Alden shop was fantastic, UPS once the package got to Vancouver....less so). Should go without saying that these are the best pair of boots I've ever worn - the construction is solid without being clunky, the leather is superb...just, wow...I hemmed and hawed for over a year on the price before finally pulling the trigger, and I can see every penny in these things. Which brings me to my concern...
I have tried to do a couple of searches, but maybe I'm digging in the wrong place, and if so, please point me to the proper thread. Anyways, these are going to be a real working boot for me - hiking mostly, through rainforest and beaches. So while I won't be babying them, I would like to give them a fighting chance of survival, as the justification to the wife was "I blow through a hundred dollar pair of boots each and every year, this will SAVE money in the long run! :- ". What, if anything, is recommended to start them off? Waterproofing? Some exotic dressing? Oil of Panda with a Saiga chaser? Thoughts?
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Re: Brand new 403s...now what?

Post by Texan Scott »

You are on the right track, a good dose of leather lotion, picard, etc., should do the trick. The boot leather is cow, if I'm not mistaken. I wear mine every day, and they only get better, more comfortable with age.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

If you do decide to use Pecards, pay special attention to making your application of product along the seams, as well as where the boot attaches to the sole. That's where water tends to find its way into the boot should you find yourself in a really 'wet' situation.

Regards! Michaelson
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Inv8r wrote:Sooo...I just received my very first real pair of boots, some 403s (don't get me started on the issues getting them sent to Canada....the Alden shop was fantastic, UPS once the package got to Vancouver....less so). Should go without saying that these are the best pair of boots I've ever worn - the construction is solid without being clunky, the leather is superb...just, wow...I hemmed and hawed for over a year on the price before finally pulling the trigger, and I can see every penny in these things. Which brings me to my concern...
I have tried to do a couple of searches, but maybe I'm digging in the wrong place, and if so, please point me to the proper thread. Anyways, these are going to be a real working boot for me - hiking mostly, through rainforest and beaches. So while I won't be babying them, I would like to give them a fighting chance of survival, as the justification to the wife was "I blow through a hundred dollar pair of boots each and every year, this will SAVE money in the long run! :- ". What, if anything, is recommended to start them off? Waterproofing? Some exotic dressing? Oil of Panda with a Saiga chaser? Thoughts?
Vancouver? That's my neck of the woods :TOH:
I'll keep my eyes open for another pair of Aldens wandering around.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Nick, now don't walk into any walls while looking down at other peoples shoes. [-X

;)

Regard! Michaelson
Inv8r
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Inv8r »

I'm up on the Coast in Halfmoon Bay, so if you're up this way shouldn't be hard to spot each other :)
I'll have to have a read through one of the many Pecards threads, as I wasn't aware that they had multiple products, let alone a specific waterproofing.
As for being slippery, I had worried about that, however so far after a couple of outings in the (@&!!$) rain through the forest and chasing after the dog and kids, so good. I WOULD have loved to see something from Alden like the mostly hidden lug sole Magnoli offers, but eh, whenever the sole goes I can always go that route.
Thanks for the input, gentlemen!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

That's one of the great things about Alden's. They're rebuildable, and as long as the uppers are ok, they can be rebuilt many times over by either the company or a local craftsman of your choice.

Regards! Michaelson
Luke Warmwater
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luke Warmwater »

The only shoe I own. I have two pair in black (for work) and two in brown. One of the brown pair just spent 3 weeks hiking all over Estonia. I've never had a traction issue.
wild_weasel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by wild_weasel »

@ Tundrarider

To take the best care of your investment I’d suggest the following.

1) Wear every other day to allow to air out, so buy a second pair
2) Use Alden shoe trees to keep the toes from curling
3) Use Alden’s Neutral Boot Cream to preserve the leather and finish

These few simple steps will greatly extend the life of these fine boots. You can order these from one of the Alden stores in San Francisco and Washington DC or give Theshoemart.com a try.

Cheers,
W-W
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

wild_weasel wrote:@ Tundrarider

To take the best care of your investment I’d suggest the following.

1) Wear every other day to allow to air out, so buy a second pair
2) Use Alden shoe trees to keep the toes from curling
3) Use Alden’s Neutral Boot Cream to preserve the leather and finish

These few simple steps will greatly extend the life of these fine boots. You can order these from one of the Alden stores in San Francisco and Washington DC or give Theshoemart.com a try.

Cheers,
W-W
As discussed last January 6th, almost word for word.... ;) :TOH:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=49875&p=728500&hili ... ee#p728500" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just goes to prove these are practices that work. :M: :tup:

Regards! Michaelson
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

Might I add my shoe trees for my Aldens are absouletley awesome! Now if I coul just find some for my flip flops! :mrgreen:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:rolling:
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

For grying out loud,Inv8r! :x :lol: They are BOOTS,made for use so walk,hike and do what it takes to make them look WORN,WORN,WORN, get it..seriously Aldens are great,I wish I´d have a pair...but they´re so darn cheap..um expensive.. :notworthy: ](*,) =P~ :tup: :tup: :CR: :TOH: