Alden safety question

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Alden safety question

Post by knibs7 »

I'm going back to New Mexico and I want to be prepared because last time I was there I saw 2 rattlesnakes. I got lucky, as I saw them before it was too late, but I was wondering if I wear snake leggings will a snake be able to bite through the toe or any other part of my Aldens? If so, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can wear my Aldens without the risk of fangs penetrating the leather?

Thanks

Kyle
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: Alden safety question

Post by nicktheguy »

I don't think Aldens are snakeproof.
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

Sure they are, WWIJD? Run like heck.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Bring a large can of gasoline and a torch, so the snakes know you mean business. :lol:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Assuming you are hiking with a guide, I'd ask the real snake expert. :-k

On the other hand, if Indy had been bitten on the foot by a snake, there would no doubt be a huge number of people here to help exactly replicate the fang marks. :lol:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Most any good leather boot is safe against small snake bite, but when you're talking about large rattlers, always err to the side of caution and go with a thick leather boot and leggings.

Keep in mind, large rattlers can have fangs anywhere from 1 to over 2+ inches in length, especially the BIG boys. As good as the leather is that Aldens uses, I just don't believe they'd be a complete deterrent against a strike by a 6 foot+ rattlesnake with large fangs if it hits you.

Play it safe. Take your Aldens, but check with local guides to see what they recommend.

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Thanks :M: I won't be sleeping tonight after that description.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Luke Warmwater
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luke Warmwater »

Why does it have to be snakes?
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

I'd be more afraid of slipping and falling on top of the rattlesnakes with the Alden's!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:lol:

You have a point there, HP! :TOH:

I do what I can, Jeff. :twisted:

Seriously, though, the key to this is just be vigilant when walking in that area. Snakes want nothing more to do with you than you with them. If you're paying attention, you could wear tennis shoes to that area and have no problem. If you're going to be stumbling around the underbrush and not watch where you're going, a suit of armor won't protect you. [-(

Regards! Michaelson
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

I grew up in Rattlesnake country, desserts of AZ. In all my travels, never had a problem with them. Just be careful, take a long stick to probe with (not one of those little carbon fiber aluminum "hiking pole things" that I see people with), make noise and stay on the trail; or ride a horse. They usually make enough vibration to send snakes away, that or a big bunch of kids... ;)
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

Just in case everyone doesn't know :lol: Rattlesnakes are DEAF.

Generally, rattlesnakes emerge from hibernation in March or April, or when the average daytime temperatures reach and remain about 60F and higher.  The snakes are then most active when the temperatures are between 80-90F.  This means that the snakes may be active most of the day during the spring, and during the early mornings and late afternoons throughout the summer.  Exposure to temperatures above 110F for more than a few minutes is enough to kill a rattlesnake; therefore, during the hottest part of summer, snakes are seldom observed, except occasionally at night.  Snake activity picks up again as temperatures begin to fall in late summer and early autumn before they go into hibernation as early as September or as late as December.

As your Aldens are concerned, Rattle snakes usually bit around the ankle area so no they'll help but not stop a bite from happing as you can imagine. Best prevention 9mm :[ but then again most Rattle snakes a protected under most western states and even federal levels.

But they sure are a awesome snake once you see one kill a rabbit twice it's size!
Last edited by Indyzane on Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

It's mating season right now.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

One of the closest I ever came to one was on the mountain near where I live here in Tennessee .

I was with a fellow who was checking a piece of property, and we parked at the top of the mountain on a logging road, then had to walk in from there.

I kept hearing what I thought was a cicada by my car door, and didn't pay much more attention to it than that.

When we came back to the car and were talking, I KEPT hearing the cicada, and decided to try to see where it was.

I found 4 feet away from where I was standing in a clump of weeds a coiled up rattler. I was hearing its rattle.

Needless to say, I quickly backed away. :CR:

We called Tennessee Wildlife, and they came out and picked up the snake, as they are always on the lookout for large rattlesnakes here in Tennessee for study.

From what they told us, they hit a home run on this one. It was a 6 and a half foot female....HUGE by our standards in Tennessee. They also said why it never struck at us was a mystery, as we almost stepped on it twice, and were WELL within full strking range. :shock:

Guess the good Lord was watching over me THAT day! #-o

Regards! Michaelson
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

Worldwide, more people are killed by scorpion stings than by snake bites. Most people hate snakes but I hat scorpions! :Dietrich: Espically the little translucent baby ones, they are the real killers!
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

Indyzane wrote:1st. Snakes are DEAF!

Generally, rattlesnakes emerge from hibernation in March or April, or when the average daytime temperatures reach and remain about 60F and higher.  The snakes are then most active when the temperatures are between 80-90F.  This means that the snakes may be active most of the day during the spring, and during the early mornings and late afternoons throughout the summer.  Exposure to temperatures above 110F for more than a few minutes is enough to kill a rattlesnake; therefore, during the hottest part of summer, snakes are seldom observed, except occasionally at night.  Snake activity picks up again as temperatures begin to fall in late summer and early autumn before they go into hibernation as early as September or as late as December.

As your Aldens are concerned, Rattle snakes usually bit around the ankle area so no they'll help but not stop a bite from happing as you can imagine. Best prevention 9mm :[ but then again most Rattle snakes a protected under most western states and even federal levels.

But they sure are a awesome snake once you see one kill a rabbit twice it's size!
I wasn't thinking pots and pan type yelling noise, I was thinking of the vibrations that a people cause when they go trampling through the desert (most people not the quietest when hiking); hence, horses are good at it. However, if one is threatening you, yes 9mm is great prevention, or even .22. Funny, I was just reading in the Idaho newspaper this am about BLM saying to not be afraid to kill one if threatened. It is better than being bitten yourself. More people die from bee stings each year than rattlesnake bites.
I did forget to say to watch around the bases of bushes and rocks and even across the trail as they sometime like get sun there. But it does depend on what part of the country you are in.
And yes, they are very awesome! Ever seen one fighting with a hawk or eagle?
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

@ whipcraker

My apologizes, I wasn't meaning that at you directly. :anxious:

Good point though, I think Idaho does have a huge Rattlesnake population! :Dietrich:
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

Isn't this one of the things that a "snake whip" is supposed to be meant for? :-k Seems more likely to be accurate than trying to get off a shot with a handgun when you're already startled.

LJ
getoutofthelibrary
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by getoutofthelibrary »

Luke Warmwater wrote:Why does it have to be snakes?
You go first.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Thanks to all of you for the information. I arrived back in Texas safely. However, I DID run into THREE rattlers where Indy looks over the cliff and sees Doom Town :o

Kyle
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Well, since you're posting this reply, I'm assuming your 405's did just fine. :D

The trick to dealing with rattlesnakes is to not BE where they are. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

However, I DID run into THREE rattlers where Indy looks over the cliff and sees Doom Town.
Maybe it was the one that they found when they were actually filming the scene back in 2007. Remember on the bonus DVD?
Best prevention 9mm but then again most Rattle snakes a protected under most western states and even federal levels.
Yeah, but THEY don't know that! Honestly, I wouldn't think twice about killing a rattlesnake if one was threatening me. It happens everyday all over the country, and there aren't 'snake police' out patrolling the deserts to enforce the laws. :P