The agony and the extasy...

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Re: The agony and the extasy...

Post by Texan Scott »

Not everyone needs that extra girth around the mid-section, but I do think it is assumed sometimes? ;)

Nice jacket, Todd, and hope it will be the goto for many years to come. What skin did you get?

Yeah, there is a jacket rush! I'm sure of it! :TOH:
donovan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by donovan »

oh yeah - been there _ ! , trying to explain to the wife the "differences" between a half dozen identical leather jackets hanging in the closet and the desperate need to order 'just one more' :shock:
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. :[
St. Dumas
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by St. Dumas »

Thanks for posting that, _. What a great looking leather; and I can see why you like that design. You ever consider getting an X-Men 3 Wolverine?
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

Great looking jacket!!! :clap: :clap: ...How long before it's back with you?

I remember the agonising wait for the US Wings Legend in SL....Not the same as your wait Paterson, as in mine was off the self......but....I'm currently struggling through the last few weeks before my Aero Halfbelt turns up... :anxious: .......I'd been getting my leather fix from the samples they sent me.....handy sized little things that fit discreetly into your inside pocket to snort at your leisure...

Ian
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Dang it Pat! I hate that for you, but I know Dan will put it right. If we can work it out (and it looks good right now) I'm gonna meet up with Dan and try on some jackets and see some stuff in person on Saturday or Sunday. My family and I are going to DC for the fourth and he's about 40 minutes away. It will be the first time I've been able to actually try on a leather jacket and check its fit before purchase. I'm pumped!!!!
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Be gentle with her, big fella'. :P
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

_ wrote:
Lmao! Btw - Kelly's home. The universe is finding it's balance.
:clap:
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Great jacket, _! Dan was a true pleasure to work with. It's unique to work with someone who really gets our angst over details. He sent me two jackets (an X1, and X3) before I finalized my order to let me choose leather, and design, and I ended up getting a totally different model (XO). Your jacket looks great, looking forward to the final version!

It was kind of nice, cutting my teeth on the Indy jacket first. I think we quibble over details more with that jacket than any other, partially because it's a tricky jacket to pull off the "look." I mean, if the length is off by an inch, it really doesn't look right. The Wolvie jackets seem a little more forgiving.
HDRnR
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HDRnR »

_, yes all the Vanson's come serial numbered with that key fob. At least the otr ones I've bought. Manx etc...
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

HDRnR wrote:_, yes all the Vanson's come serial numbered with that key fob. At least the otr ones I've bought. Manx etc...
I don't have a serial number or key fob.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

I get what you guys are saying. I've owned 6 Indy jackets (which I know pales in comparison to some here) and every one has had some sort of issue with the fit. I've got one right now that looks great and fits really good, but I never would say that it is a pleasure to wear. The Indy jacket was made for movies and looks great in the movies. Heck, I think I look pretty decent in mine, but the thing is just not designed the best. I will always love the Indy design because of the nostalgic attatchment I have to it, but it is time for me to move on to something different. That has led me to the X-men design, and I'm excited about it like I haven't been excited about a leather jacket since before I got my first Indy...

Travis
HDRnR
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HDRnR »

Baldwyn wrote:
HDRnR wrote:_, yes all the Vanson's come serial numbered with that key fob. At least the otr ones I've bought. Manx etc...
I don't have a serial number or key fob.
Which model ? Mine are USA made and mostly made pre 2000.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Just set it up with Dan. I'm meeting him this Sunday at 10. Ill be sure to.post pics and pick his brain about the Indy jacket. Who knows what jackets I'll try on! ;)
Bemo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bemo »

Surprised Holt hasn't weighed in here, he's a regular user of the leather stimulant/narcotic.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

....agony and extasy?....agony and extasy?? Is this a Spalko S&M thread?
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

I know just what you mean. I have owned many, MANY jackets. But that day when a box arrives at my front step still gets me just as excited as I was the first time I ordered a jacket. That first Wested really got my fingers shaking! Sure, it was in the wrong size and wrong leather... but it was still exciting! My second Wested was much better! Then there were jackets from US Wings, Todds, and more Westeds. Then came the Nowaks. I bought a CS TN from a member here and couldn't believe the quality! It was much better than any other jacket I have owned. Too bad it was just slightly too small. Good thing though someone else was selling a TN CS just at that time in my size! I sold the first one and bought the new one! Incredible! Then I ordered a TN Raiders in shrunken lamb. That was the jacket I was most excited about! The first jacket that I really thought was custom for me! And it was a perfect fit and I love everything about it! Then I got my TN Surrogates and even though I had no idea it was even coming (I didn't even pay for it yet!) I was lost in shock and excitement!

My lady friend is really starting to hate jackets. She thinks I am too obsessed. I disagree. I like them, but it's not like they are all I think about and concentrate on or anything. I just like them.

Now I have a US Wings Legend in "Antique Cowhide" that I just got. It's a pretty decent jacket, but I don't think I will keep it. I will be ordering a Wested Hero jacket in the next couple of days most likely. It will be interesting to compare the Wested Hero with a TN Raiders and a US Wings Legend!
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

The problem is my fiancee doesn't really collect anything. So she doesn't understand why I need more than one leather jacket. I am a collector. Always have been. I started out collecting coins. Then I started collecting antiques. Then I started collecting silver (a smart move on my part). Then I started collecting historical documents. Then the hats and the jackets!

I am trying to convince her that it's okay to buy another jacket if I sell some of my other things first. She's not convinced that it's a good balance. Oh well. She thinks all of my spare money should go towards the wedding. :lol: But I would just like to make it clear that I am a very fortunate guy to have her by my side. I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world... even jackets.
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

Aye Nick…Same here…My wife doesn’t really collect anything, but she’s really amazing with my hording habits…..I’ve got more leather jackets than is rational, but as long as it makes me smile she’s okay with it…..I have 3 racks full of hand forged samurai swords (another obsession of mine besides gear) and again she humors me with a pat on the back and allows me to carry on….drags me back to reality when I need it….Where would we be without them..

_: Aye, it’s a deluxe FQHH in brown, with the Gunn tartan inside for the lining…...Fantastic company to deal with and I can’t say enough about Amanda…Photos to follow…

BTW….That X-O really does look amazing on you, but now I’ve seen that T1 I still think that THAT IS your jacket…JMO..

Ian
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

The myriad of apparent randomness that allows us to meet these amazing women….uncanny, isn’t it…

So, when is the XO back with you?

Ian
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

_ wrote: Cowboy boots.
Reading that caught my...attention. Gotta love a girl in boots. Glad she's finally home!

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

_ wrote:
Bemo wrote:Surprised Holt hasn't weighed in here, he's a regular user of the leather stimulant/narcotic.
Lmao... Brother Holt will surely sniff this one out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
so true!!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

_ wrote:No Michael Jackson "Thriller!" gear...
Good. The 'Thriller' jacket sold yesterday at auction for 1.8 million dollars, so it could get a bit pricey if she went down THAT road! #-o

;)

Regards! Michaelson
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

You reckon Vanson would do a replica of that in cochineal tanned cow hide? :lol:

Ian
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

_ wrote:
Ian wrote:You reckon Vanson would do a replica of that in cochineal tanned cow hide? :lol:

Ian
Boy... I sure HOPE not... :-k
Yeah, that'd be Bad...

Ian
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

_ wrote:
Michaelson wrote:
_ wrote:No Michael Jackson "Thriller!" gear...
Good. The 'Thriller' jacket sold yesterday at auction for 1.8 million dollars, so it could get a bit pricey if she went down THAT road! #-o

;)

Regards! Michaelson
And as an Indiana Jones tie-in, the thriller jacket was a Deb Landis design. Her husband, John Landis was the producer of the Thriller video. See - it's like the seven degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon. If we go far enough off-topic we will end up back on-topic! :-k :TOH:
That's the plan..... ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

_ wrote:Image
LMAO!!! I'm here all week!! :lol:

Ian
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

Yup there is nothing like getting a box of stuff. I am currently waiting for custom made Jedi.boots from Peru. My girlfriend doesn't understand why I need costumed or gear, nevermind new stuff. But you have three hats now ...why do you need more jackets...why isn't your Darth Vader costume good enough, it looks fine to me, its the same thru four movies and no one will notice.

If I could right now I'd order aldens and a holster from my phone and ship it to work just so I could open it sooner. :TOH:
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

I'm kind of late to the party, but being Hispanic it's normal...

_, that is a beautiful jacket! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Bummer about the waist size, great that it will get fixed. Can't wait to see pics of it after the adjustment.

As for the Vanson Indy... =P~ It's gonna be awesome...(probably won't ever get one because of $$ but just to see pics will be amazing)
theman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by theman »

No later than the Irish... ;)

We'll get that straight for you P, no problemo... If only I was directly in the pattern system for all of these, hopefully someday. :-k

Baldwyn - on your key fob... generally on the jackets that go through my distressing treatment option I remove the leather key fob to keep them straight from my non-distressed jackets. I should have it here with the rest of them if you really want it. 8)
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

theman wrote:No later than the Irish... ;)

We'll get that straight for you P, no problemo... If only I was directly in the pattern system for all of these, hopefully someday. :-k

Baldwyn - on your key fob... generally on the jackets that go through my distressing treatment option I remove the leather key fob to keep them straight from my non-distressed jackets. I should have it here with the rest of them if you really want it. 8)
Naw, that's ok, I was just replying to the comment that all Vanson jackets have serial numbers and key fobs (couldn't find a serial number). I don't need either to prove my jacket is cool, but thanks! :)
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

OK, here's an observation I've been brooding over for a few days and finally decided to put in writing.

P, I know what you mean about the anticipation and excitement about getting 'stuff' especially when it's custom made. It's awesome, except when it's wrong.

This is at least the second custom job you've had made recently (the Sons of Anarchy cut being the other) where you did not get what you ordered. When the pattern guys or cutters or whomever look at the order sheet and says, "Hm, 50" chest and 34" waist? That doesn't seem right, I'm going to add a few inches to the waist" that's a problem. Given your build it isn't easy for you to go OTR for fitted clothing, but isn't the point of ordering a custom jacket to get it, well, custom made to your measurements? If the specs seem unusual shouldn't they
A. make exactly what was ordered or
B. kick the order back to double check with the customer (measure twice, cut once).
To me, a jacket with 7" extra inches in the waist is a huge QC issue. No different than if I order an OTR 42 and get a 49 instead.

That being said you seem satified that Dan/Vanson is going to take care of things and that's what's important.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

Better too big than too small.. :lol: .....I just assumed it was because of your shrinking waist-line...

Ian
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Fair enough. I've become rabidly loyal to companies that have made a mistake, but took such great care of me after that in the end fully earned my future business.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Speaking of mistakes, I feel like this is the right time to point out it is spelled ecstasy :) Extasy is the drug, with which our jackets would BE THE BEST JACKETS EVER.

(I know, I know, I swear grammar/spelling police is a Canadian pastime).
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Ha!!! Yes!
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Thank you!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Me, too, P...

But...back to the subject at hand...SWEET JACKET!!!!!

High Regards!
Indydawg
theman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by theman »

You've got a serial number on that jacket, most times it is on the inside of the inside pocket leather facing, but they have been known to hide them in various locations. Vanson does this to track the life of all their jackets from birth. 8)
Baldwyn wrote:
theman wrote:No later than the Irish... ;)

Naw, that's ok, I was just replying to the comment that all Vanson jackets have serial numbers and key fobs (couldn't find a serial number). I don't need either to prove my jacket is cool, but thanks! :)
Wolfie
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Wolfie »

:notworthy: That is a very sexy Wolvie jacket. When I get where I'm not trying to save money for a billion other things, like Scotland/Ireland, and moving into a house... I'll have to buy my husband one so I can make him wear it all winter.
theman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by theman »

Nice to see you out here Kelly, and glad to know you are on the mend. Also thanks for the kind words, it's nice to see those from an opinion that really matters, the wife's! ;)
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Well, I visited Dan this past Sunday and first let me say he is a first class guy!!! His love for cool stuff translates into cool stuff for us (and even more cool stuff coming ;) ) If you've been thinking of getting the leather jacket monkey off your back by buying one of Dan's Vanson jackets, let me say this, "WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR!?!??!?" These jackets are awesome. Luckily for me, I am pretty close to textbook OTR Vanson size 44R and I had NO wait. I went to Dan's house and picked my jacket out and up!!! Here she is...

Its stiff right now, but it will loosen up. One thing that is noticeable about Vanson's cowhide is the fact that, even though its heavy, it is NOT that thick. It is just that dense! Dan gave me a few helpful hints for the mild distressing I have in store for this jacket. It should be soft and supple in no time! ;)
While Dan and I talked shop (and he has a LOT to share!) my kids played with his oldest son. It was a great visit and they were worn out by the end of the day...

Travis
Last edited by Hollowpond on Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Isn't it too long for you in the body?
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

No, not at all. The front touches just below my jeans belt line, and the rear is just above my jeans pockets. Something must be getting lost in the camera angle :-k
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Sorry then, the back shot played trick on my eyes, the jacket looks there like it covers your whole butt ;)

Great jacket, X-1 is my favourite jacket from X-men series, the X-1 shown on Magnoli website is just gorgeous!
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Yup. Just the angle.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Hm, now you got me thinking. The idea of getting a black jacket of some kind has been noodling around in my head for a while, but I don't care for the classic biker jacket look on me. I'm not a huge fan of cafe style collars either, but I do like the Wolverine jackets. Black with custom color trim.... :-k :)

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Just an update...she's been broken in
And to keep this kinda/sorta in the Indy vein, after owning this jacket for one week, I will say that if Dan and Vanson are going to be offering an Indy jacket, I would be saving my money if I were you. There's a loose change jar at my house for one anyways. :TOH:

Travis
Last edited by Hollowpond on Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

That is really cool looking...I wasnt digging the jacket at first but it looks incredibly cool after breakin in...it really looks like part of you naturally now.
:tup: :tup:
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

:shock:

Sorry Travis but I just found this thread (you said filmjackets) :x ... She's a beauty :clap: :clap: :clap:

And you're right about the coloring, it looks perfect. I'm glad you got your jacket (but the pic at Dan's for our friend would have been priceless).

By the way, what material is the liner made of?

Great looking jacket :H:

:TOH:
-TS
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

It IS on filmjackets! I can't hold your hand on everything! :lol:

Yes, the colors are really dark and a lighter brown. Completely SA to the screen used jacket. On film it looks yellowish /gold. The real deal is much more subdued.

The liner is 100% cotton, and based on its construction, sadly my great-great- great grandchildren will have to get it replaced... :( :lol:

And yes, TS, had we pulled that off it would have been the greatest COW prank ever! :lol: