Look what I got for Father`s Day

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Look what I got for Father`s Day

Post by Gorak »

Look what I got for Father`s day......
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 173045.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 173056.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 173106.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My wife found it at a local antique store for $28 dollar. Very soft. No size written but fits my head. Box really fell apart after these pics so I am trashing it. And the whole family sat down to watch Raiders in the eveing. Lovely day.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Look what I got for Father`s Day

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Holy cow! That hat looks brand new! Congrats on such a great find! Happy Father's Day indeed.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Yep, they're still out there hiding in boxes and darkened corners of antique stores, so never give up looking!

GOOD for you! :M: :tup:

Regards! Michaelson
TheSavoryTrim
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Crying at the doorsteps of those armies of salvation

Post by TheSavoryTrim »

Oh lawd...I'm jelly.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

It's a beauty! PLEASE don't hack away at the bound brim or ribbon in hopes of making it a Raiders hat. Just shape it to taste and wear it as the fedora it was mean to be. Or send it to me. Your choice. ;)
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Agree with Bink 100000000%! Those types of deals don't come around very often, so don't screw this one up. :lol:
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Great Fathers Day gift at a serious bargain. :clap: Very cool indeed. can't wait to see what it looks like on your noggin.

Cheers! :TOH:

Dan
j2m
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by j2m »

Very nice father's day present! congratulations! :TOH:
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

I really don`t plan on cutting it down or changing the ribbon or anything. I too love the natural look of a 1920`s, 1930`s style fedora. I do have to play with the bash until I find something I like. I find myself lately really going for teardrop bashes on these older widebrims. My AB fills my Raiders Raven Bar/Well of Souls itch my soon to arrive Fedoraraiders Cairo will fill my most fav of all Streets of cairo look so my desire for Indy hats is definitetly met. Nowadays I tend to design all my other bashes as "Joe-Shmoe regular guy walking in the background of a street scene of the Untouchables" look. My head is very round and tends to mis-shape the brim so that needs alittle work too. Will post pics when I find a bash I`m happy with.
I may take out the lining though as it has the plastic top and I am not very fond of those..plus it tends to make it alittle more difficult to bash. Although it may just look nas good as a Homberg
Chiliana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chiliana Jones »

dont change anything on that one. looks perfect as it is. it even has a perfect young indy bow too!

take care of that one :TOH:

CJ
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

:D :clap: Image
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Gorak wrote:I really don`t plan on cutting it down or changing the ribbon or anything. I too love the natural look of a 1920`s, 1930`s style fedora. I do have to play with the bash until I find something I like. I find myself lately really going for teardrop bashes on these older widebrims.
:tup: :tup: :tup: Glad to know you respect the hat! :TOH:

I personally like the liners, but if you wish to remove the liner, that should be a fairly easy task as they were likely sewn in at that point. Just be certain to carefully cut the threads so as not to harm the liner. Save the liner, too. Liners can always be put back into place, even by allowing the sweatband to keep it put.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Very nice find by the Misses, she's a keeper. The hat that is, but most certainetly the Misses if she had the insite to see that box and know what it was, thats like finding treasure, hat looks very well preserved.

Please post pics on your noggin, once you've bashed it. [-o< [-o<

Kinda makes me want to start stopping in at the local antique stores. ;)

Croft :mrgreen:
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

I too was very impressed with my wife finding it. She has horrible allergies and so she never steps foot into Antique store as the usual odor sends her coughing. Plus she is not very fond of my endearment of all things vintage. She is a big time beach bunny and loves Hollister, Ambercrombie, and American Eagle and loves me in shorts, flip flops and beach tees.....and of course, I am sooooooo uncomfortable in that gear. She has been majorly trumping me lately in gifts so I need to step up my game! :whip:
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Awesome find! Kudos to your wife. The vintage and antique stores in the city here are so pricey; that hat would have cost about $90 at least in any store in my neck of the woods. Good deal indeed!
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

I almost forgot to post pics of this hat after I bashed it and started to wear it. I had a center dent in it but it caused some taper that I found uncomfortable so I went with the teardrop.....
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 104908.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 104913.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 104915.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 104936.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Pure CLASS.
:TOH:
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Hot dang bro!!! That thing is awesome!!! It really reminds me of my Art Fawcett lid. Congrats on that. :TOH:
Sammy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Sammy »

HOLY MOLEY!!!!!!!!! What an AMAZING FIND!!! And your bash is PERFECT!!!!!!! Yes...that would DEFINITELY be seen as an extra in the Untouchables! Congrats!! :TOH:
stones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by stones »

What a find, Looks like new. Great job on the bash too!

cheers

Stones :TOH:
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Yeah, it's definitely very satisfying to see that hat make it onto the right head!
Gorak, that hat was clearly meant to be yours!
:clap:
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Home. Run. That is the nicest $28 hat in the universe. Enjoy. I've got to dig around those antique shops in Corpus!
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

Gorak wrote:I almost forgot to post pics of this hat after I bashed it and started to wear it. I had a center dent in it but it caused some taper that I found uncomfortable so I went with the teardrop.....
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 104908.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 104913.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 104915.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 104936.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
you resemble lou vega or whatever his name is that sings Mambo #5...good looking lid man.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Thanks a bunch guys...appreciate the comments. My wife bought me the linen suit. And she wanted me to wear flip flops with it! :o
I had a hard time trying to explain the concept of absolutely no flip flops with a felt fedora and a suit, regardless of the material!
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Flip flops?! :rolling: Sharp looking suit.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Oklahoma Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Oklahoma Jones »

This hat really suits you, Gorak!! What a great find!!