Nylon Whip Construction - Opinions

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nylon Whip Construction - Opinions

Post by Dalexs »

1) Never test crack a nylon whip before its done... you will loose about an hours worth of work! ](*,)

2) I'm interested in how folks are constructing their nylons (whips I mean ;) )

I'm only working on my 2nd nylon whip since starting down this road.
The tutorial I'm following has you do an 8 plait over the core. Then a single 12 plait overlay.

I think this is fine for practicing, but I'm planning on moving on to the next step.

It sounds like a lot of you do an 8 plait over core belly, a 12 plait overlay, and
a final 16 plait overlay.

Opinions?
riku1914
Vendor

Re: Nylon Whip Construction - Opinions

Post by riku1914 »

I have made two nylon whips, one a bullwhip that was the first whip I made, and one a stockwhip that I just recently made.

The bullwhip I did a 4 plait core, 8 plait belly, dropping to 6 and 4, and then a 12 plait overlay, one dropping to a 6 plait point, one

to a 4 plait point. The stockwhip needed a little extra weight so I would suggest maybe using a flexible steel cord for your core,

or maybe a nylon strand with bb's in it.

If I had more materials I would have done a core - 8 plait belly - 12 plait belly - 16 plait belly but I didn't have enough of the stuff.

Other who have made a lot of nylon whips can probably help you with how to taper the steel cord core ( I've heard of how to do it

but have never tried it )

Other than that just make sure you bind the transition area of each layer and you'll be home free :TOH:
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

When I make a bullwhip, I start with a core made of a single cord of paracord (next one will use sinker cord) filled with .177 caliber zinc plated steel BBs.

The core is then attached to a 1/4" steel rod or large nail/spike.
Next, the transition area is tightly bound with artificial sinew. (I usually do two layers of binding at a time, the first one shorter than the next. It helps build the taper early on.)

Then comes the 8 plt. first belly. Then another round of binding (This time it is taken out further than before, but, still two layers that are staggered in length).

Up next is the 12 plt belly and more binding (just more of the same).

Finally, the 16 plt overlay and knots.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

kwad wrote:When I make a bullwhip, I start with a core made of a single cord of paracord (next one will use sinker cord) filled with .177 caliber zinc plated steel BBs.

The core is then attached to a 1/4" steel rod or large nail/spike.
Next, the transition area is tightly bound with artificial sinew. (I usually do two layers of binding at a time, the first one shorter than the next. It helps build the taper early on.)

Then comes the 8 plt. first belly. Then another round of binding (This time it is taken out further than before, but, still two layers that are staggered in length).

Up next is the 12 plt belly and more binding (just more of the same).

Finally, the 16 plt overlay and knots.
A question I have for you, do you do closed looped binding or criss cross binding? I would assume criss cross because from what I

have done, if you do two closed loop bindings per belly it will either get too stiff or too thick or both.
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

I do a closed loop (ie, no gaps) for the first half of the binding then gradually space out the wraps towards the point.
And, I also changed the direction of the wrap for the second layer, so they do kind of criss-cross.

So, I guess my answer to your question is; yes. :lol:

My goal is to help create the taper and a gradual flexibility.
rawvoodoo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by rawvoodoo »

I make my cores with 3 staggered length pieces of paracord filled with ballchain all twisted into a sort of rope. I hold them together with a few small pieces of tape (which I remove as the plaiting gets closer) Then a 6 plait belly then an 8 plait belly then a 12 plait overlay. The transitions are wrapped with artificial sinew (except the first which I used tape on..yuck)
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Dalexs, if you have any questions, feel free to post them here or send a PM to one of us.
I make my bullwhips with two bellies and 16 plt overlay or if customer wants with 3 bellies and 20 plt overlay.
Do you have any problems with calculating strands' length? Balancing a whip?
darksideman13
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by darksideman13 »

I do a specail weighted core (my little secret ;) )
Then an 8 plait over that
Then binding like always
Then a 12
More binding
Finally a 16 plait

Hope that helps
Luke
MeyerWhips.com
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Thanks for all the info. I am now going to get really good and steal all of yuor business! :twisted:
:rolling:
(yeah, right... not with a wife, 2 kids, 2 cats, full time job, mortgage...)

I was basically just looking consensus.
Like I said, these last two I've just used a belly and single overlay as practice.

My first whip used the 3 core ball chain method, like rawvoodoo mntioned,
but I only used a 8 plait followed by a 12 plait.

This one now is using a single BB loaded core (which I'm really liking the feel of)
in the interest of time and experimentation, again, I will probably only go with the 8 & 12 plait overlays.
It's going to be a give-away at Fingerlakes next month. (Like the last one I did.)

I really want to make for for myself at some point, and want to get a bit more intense with this one.