I recently received my Magnoli Raiders Goat....

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

bobcatmvp1
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

I recently received my Magnoli Raiders Goat....

Post by bobcatmvp1 »

And the goat is very plasticky and has a bright sheen. So much so, that I impulsively went online, customized a Wested ROLA goat, and purchased it. Maybe I was a bit quick to judge, but I knew from the second I opened the package that this wasn't "my" Indy jacket. Obviously I'll be beating the Hades out of it in the coming weeks to break it in and get that plasticky feeling to go away, but does anyone know a good way to remove the sheen/gloss apart from washing it(already tried that with no results), or using chemicals that might remove the color? It's hard to imagine Indy walking around with a bright, glossy jacket.
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: I recently received my Magnoli Raiders Goat....

Post by Indyzane »

Next time it rains walk around with it on for a few minutes. Leave the jacket on until its 80% dry, this will help it mold to your body and help with the shine it has. Also rubbing alcohol not sure which strength? Helps take away shine as well. Todd's costume sells fullers earth which is a dirt dust that will make it not so shinny as well. Pictures?
:TOH:
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

A washing machine without an agitator does wonders as well. Cold wash no soap, lay it flat to dry out over night and wear it all the next day in the house (it'll still be wet).

Also, scotch guard dish sponges do wonders at getting rid of the sheen to. I'd try one of them first.
Just lightly go over the leather with the harder side. Try it first under the front pocket flap to see if it'll do anything first. Then proceed with caution.

Just a few suggestions but remember you're doing this at your own risk... I said Nothing!!!! :CR: :lol:

:-

:TOH:
-TS
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

you could also do a search! there are alot of threads around in the ''gear care'' section on how to get most of the sheen away.
Rick Deckard
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Rick Deckard »

Also, remember you're jacket is brand new, fresh out of the box. Whereas Indy's was supposed to have been on many adventures through deserts, jungles, etc. I bet if you wore your jacket as much as possible, maybe go on a few hikes, etc. it will quickly lose that sheen and look more like you want it to. And think of this: If Indy had been a real person, his jacket would have been shiny new at one point in time, too. :TOH:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

I recently bought a LC from him, and it is possible to order it distressed, which is what I went with, since it was goat. The leather was not quite as dark and it did not have the familiar plastic-y shine or texture that we have all come to know and....luv. ;)

There are different techniques that will speed up the breaking in process. One of the safest and possibly the best for goathide is pecard. I used it on the collar and it became very pliable. As the others have pointed out: water, alcohol. I've never actually turned my washer loose on my jackets, preferring instead to put them on a hanger and 'rinse' them by hand in the shower, so the liner and insides of the hand warmers would not get wet, but to each his own. Obviously, there is no substitute for good old fashioned wear. For the jacket to truely be able to develop the look and feel, it needs to be lived in, bearing in mind that you have in your possession one of the toughest hides there is. Goats walk through thorns unscathed. Give your goat some tlc and wear.... :TOH:
Last edited by Texan Scott on Sun May 22, 2011 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Would be great to see pics of it too!!!
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

How many times did you sleep in it before you noticed it was starting to wear in? Oh and what did your wife think.... I guess the good thing about sleeping in your jacket is that if there was an emergency you would be ready to go!

On the goat...I have had a G&B for many years. Great jacket but never did look anything like the worn look of the Raiders jacket. Honestly though I enjoy the jacket so much it really did not matter to much to me. I recently bought a US Wings Signature in Goat. Also a fabulous jacket. I have really been enjoying wearing that jacket. The leather is noticeably thicker than the G&B which I really like. Almost has the feel of cowhide but not the weight. Starting to break in nicely. It was Michaelson who put me on to goat many years ago and it really is a great leather. I recently bought a HH jacket from a fellow COW member and though I have always wanted a horsehide leather I like the feel of the goat better. I understand horse is even tougher but with that toughness comes a leather that is actually not as pliable.
best
Canada
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Once the goat breaks in or softens, it is one of the nicest feeling and looking leathers going. My G&B jackets took about 6 months to start looking worn and relaxed. Not that much time, really.
Dragonlady Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dragonlady Jones »

Ummmm....

:WLWOP:

Couldn't resist. ;)
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Lemon juice? :P
bobcatmvp1
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by bobcatmvp1 »

Texan Scott wrote:Lemon juice? :P
That's what I'm looking for. The little "out there" ways to remove the sheen. I took a shower with it to no avail on the sheen, but seemed to help the plasticky feel. I'm wondering if I should mix like 91% isopropyl alcohol with water in like a 50/50 mix. I do need to start sleeping in it. Zipped up or no? I just hate the windbreaker sound/movement of the jakcet. IMHO you shouldn't be able to hear a quality leather jacket crinkle when you move.
bobcatmvp1
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by bobcatmvp1 »

Texan Scott wrote:I recently bought a LC from him, and it is possible to order it distressed, which is what I went with, since it was goat. The leather was not quite as dark and it did not have the familiar plastic-y shine or texture that we have all come to know and....luv. ;)

There are different techniques that will speed up the breaking in process. One of the safest and possibly the best for goathide is pecard. I used it on the collar and it became very pliable. As the others have pointed out: water, alcohol. I've never actually turned my washer loose on my jackets, preferring instead to put them on a hanger and 'rinse' them by hand in the shower, so the liner and insides of the hand warmers would not get wet, but to each his own. Obviously, there is no substitute for good old fashioned wear. For the jacket to truely be able to develop the look and feel, it needs to be lived in, bearing in mind that you have in your possession one of the toughest hides there is. Goats walk through thorns unscathed. Give your goat some tlc and wear.... :TOH:
I actually did order it distressed, and it came brand new. :( Pecard's might help with the plasticky-ness, but won't it add to the sheen?
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Leather lotion would help with the break in, but you are right, the sheen would be there. I had to give my G&B goat the water treatment twice, with hot water, just to make it limber. Tough jacket! With lemon juice, it is natural, and you should be able to accomplish both objectives: soften the leather and take the shine off.

Tundy, you-are-a-ham! Invest in a good belt to hold ur breeches up! :P
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Just stick in in the washing machine with a little soap - warm. I've done that to many leather jackets without harm and they always look better.

Lemon juice is a risk. It tends to eat at the stitching and weaken it.

And by the way - even a good leather jacket may creak when you move. Some horse hides keep doing that 60 years on...
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: from Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil but living in Beirut, Lebanon

Post by tekors »

I will share here the techniques I used to my Wested Raiders goatskin. In the beginning I was affraid also of the plasticy and shiney looking, but believe, after some steps and wear you will feel the amazing goatskin that will turn into. I am in love with mine: texture, feel, touch, pliable and soft. And I just have it for 3 months, imagine in a year or 2 years time.

Here it is:
1. Shower, wether cold or slighty warm, it doesn't matter. I used warm (not hot) with the jacket in a hanger. After 3 washings, I did a last one putting the jacket inside a bucket and soaking it with water (this time cold). Then put it to dry out in a hanger, but sometimes put it flat on a table and from time to time, it's a good moment also to pull the sleeves up to get some wrinkles. It will also take the shine away.
2. As the others said, wear it while it's almost dry but still wet, to help comform it to your body. Also is a good moment to pull the sleeves up to get more wrinkles.
3. Place the jacket under the matress (rolled like a ball) and go sleep. Amazing how this technique softened my jacket, after a few days, the leather was so pliable. This method was suggested by a COW member and I remembered it. The results are amazing.
4. Wear it as much as possible... everyday, anytime. Sleep with it also.

Hope this helps...
best
tekors :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

bobcatmvp1 wrote:I actually did order it distressed, and it came brand new.
Just curious...so, why didn't you send it back for a correct jacket? It's too late now, of course, but if you weren't happy with what you got, you could have easily had it replaced if you did indeed order a distressed jacket and received something different.

Like I said, just curious. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

If it was received recently, maybe they could still distress the leather for you? I liked what I received. His leather technician does good work!
bobcatmvp1
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by bobcatmvp1 »

Michaelson wrote:
bobcatmvp1 wrote:I actually did order it distressed, and it came brand new.
Just curious...so, why didn't you send it back for a correct jacket? It's too late now, of course, but if you weren't happy with what you got, you could have easily had it replaced if you did indeed order a distressed jacket and received something different.

Like I said, just curious. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
Well, on Magnoli's site it says no returns on customized clothing. I didn't want to have to go through the hassle of telling them it was a mistake on their part, AND I had already waited 3 months (on an eventually canceled) US Wings Legend, and an additional 1.5 months on the Magnoli. And once I took it out of the package I knew I would be searching elsewhere for "my" Indy jacket.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Understood.

Regards! Michaelson
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

You could certainly send it back to us for distressing, no problem at all. Shoot me an e-mail if you like.

Kind regards,
Magnoli