todds whips

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

manpurse
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

todds whips

Post by manpurse »

should i get one of the todds whips. or should i get a similar priced nylon whip
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: todds whips

Post by WhipDude »

You should tell us the intended purpose...
manpurse
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by manpurse »

i plan to crack it for about 30 minutes a week. other than that just as a costume whip
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

A nylon by a reputable maker will last longer, if taken care of. It will probably handle much better.
You can find nylon whips that are around the price of Todd's whip. But if that's all you plan to do with it, I wouldn't see anything wrong with Todd's.
tex1272
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by tex1272 »

I have 2 of Todds whips and they are some of my most cherished gear.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

I see you are kind of on a budget, a nylon whip would be best if you want to crack it. If it's a show thing then one of todd's would

be fine.
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Todd's whips actually crack and handle quite well.
And if treated right, can have a lifespan that is longer than most people expect.
However, they do require more maintanence than a more expensive whip due to the less expensive materials used to make them (they are goathide and they like to stretch at the point just before the fall hitch).

I have a feeling that if you gave the guys that make Todd's whips some well greased kip or roo hides, and told them to take their time with each whip, they would produce some awesome whips.

But, that is not what Todd's whips are all about.
They are about giving the customer the best whip for the lowest price possible (which means goat hides braided quick and dirty to keep the costs down).
manpurse
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by manpurse »

what would be the proper way to maintain a todds whip. is it a lot of effort. if it is should i go with a nylon :whip:
manpurse
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by manpurse »

I'm not a serious cracker. just an occasional crack. would that make the better option the todds. regarding he's a little cheaper :whip:
IndianaBravo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBravo »

Manpurse, use the search function to look for info on this topic. Here is thread I started which got alot of responses: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45051&hilit=just+go ... d%60s+whip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Cheers
IndianaBravo