Speaking of Willis and Geiger...

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Speaking of Willis and Geiger...

Post by Michaelson »

.....it appears Lands End has the original/famous W&G khaki shirt available again....or at least that's how I'm reading the website.

http://www.landsend.com/pp/WillisandGei ... gin=search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Field pants too!

http://www.landsend.com/pp/WillisandGei ... gin=search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards! Michaelson
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Speaking of Willis and Geiger...

Post by Hollowpond »

Shirts look awesome!

Travis
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

They ARE awesome! I've owned them before, and they're just flat over engineered. Real, honest to goodness field use shirts from an original outfitter from the early 1900's. They outfitted Teddy Roosevelt for all HIS expeditions.

It's a shame they went belly up and sold out to LandEnd, but occasionally they sell some of the original items....and this shirt is absolutely the cats meow when it comes to tough.

I've never owned a pair of the trousers, but can't believe they wouldn't meet muster as well.

Regards! Michaelson
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

Nice looking shirt but the reviews at the bottom were not so flattering - the ones I read said the shirt was too short, not the same quality as older W&G shirts and not worth the $50 price. I am sure Roosevelt's were not made overseas either. Shame.
Canada
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Well, mine WERE made a while back, so like anything, they've probably slipped on quality like everyone else.....but that said, they WERE made overseas back in the late 80's/early 90's, so that much hasn't changed since we first discovered them . :-k

That said, though, the reviews are pretty dismal now, aren't they?

Regards! Michaelson
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

Perhaps the disappointment for some of those who posted was that they had the older shirts to compare to. I have never owned a W&G shirt (although years ago I did buy a Cooper A-2 jacket from them when they did mail order). Perhaps for new comers the shirt would be fine although from the sound of it, not worth $50.
best
Canada
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Well, the one thing I really DID like about the shirt was how long the tails WERE...so the very point they're complaining about is one of the main high selling points OF the original shirts...their long shirt tails.

Going on the cheap again.... #-o

Regards! Michaelson
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

I would think that is perhaps why Roosevelt liked them when on horseback. The shirt would stay tucked in!
best
Canada
Flyderf
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Flyderf »

I ordered one Saturday afternoon online. I'll post a review after I get it. I noticed I only had 6 or 7 shades of brown adventure shirts. One more shade to add to the collection. I.hope it's made as well as the brand name deserves.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Looking forward to your report! :TOH:

Regard! Michaelson
Flyderf
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Flyderf »

Received the Willis and Geiger shirt yesterday. Quality appears very good (stitching, construction of the shirt). The cut of the shirt is true to size. I wear a size 17 dress shirt which is an XL. Many XL shirts are too big, or cut huge. This one seems to be cut proportionate. According to the web site reviews, the shirt was reported as short. I don't find that to be the case, however it has not been washed yet. As far as weight of the fabric, I'd compare it to a WPG. The color is also a good match to the WPG shirt. The Willis and Geiger shirt has a definite Indy feel, but there are a few differences. The epaulets have a box stitch where the it meets the seem at the shoulder. There is also the button on the sleeves to roll up the sleeves as pictured on the website. Speaking of buttons, they seem rather large compared to similar style shirts I own. For comparison, I own shirts from L.L.Bean, Cabelas, and Todd's costumes.

This is my first Willis and Geiger item and It feels like a quality product.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

That's how I remember them. :M: :tup:

Keep in mind, they were never made to try to match an 'Indy' shirt. They are what they are and have always been, hence the size of the buttons.

Maybe the 'Indy' shirt buttons were actually to small? :-k

:Plymouth:

Regards! Michaelson