Dropping strands 6 to 4

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

JeffB
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Dropping strands 6 to 4

Post by JeffB »

I am in the middle of the first belly on my nylon whip. I somehow managed to drop from 8 to 6 and have it look decent.

I cannot figure out how to drop from 6 to 4. I have 3 strands on either side and I have been going U2, O1. I know the final result of dropping to 4 is U1, O1, but which strands get dropped? I tried the bottome ones, but then I had a lump and I had a spot where two strands were trying to go over the same strand and it just didn't look right.

Thanks
Jeff
Marhala
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Dropping strands 6 to 4

Post by Marhala »

Hi Jeff. Why don't you try dropping the strands in the middle on both sides? If you drop both middle strands when going from 10-8 plait, why not from 6-4?

Aldo
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Marhala wrote:Hi Jeff. Why don't you try dropping the strands in the middle on both sides? If you drop both middle strands when going from 10-8 plait, why not from 6-4?

Aldo
When i drop 10-8 i drop the next 2 that would be worked...
G-Roberts
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by G-Roberts »

To be honest, it doesn't matter how the belly looks. End in 6 plait on your overlay and you will be fine. I never drop to a 4 plait on my overlay any more and it works out much nicer. just make sure there is no lumps and bumps in the belly where you drop the strands.
Graeme.

P.S to drop to 4 plait you simply drop the highest strands (the ones to be worked next) Just pull them tight, lay them underneath and plait over them.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

G-Roberts wrote:To be honest, it doesn't matter how the belly looks. End in 6 plait on your overlay and you will be fine. I never drop to a 4 plait on my overlay any more and it works out much nicer. just make sure there is no lumps and bumps in the belly where you drop the strands.
Graeme.

P.S to drop to 4 plait you simply drop the highest strands (the ones to be worked next) Just pull them tight, lay them underneath and plait over them.
Also he asked about 6 plait, i was watching one of bernie's samples i found for his dvd's yesterday, he was working on a 6 plait

belly, and on one side ( if i saw correctly ) he did u1 o2, and on the other side he did u2 o1. That correct?
G-Roberts
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by G-Roberts »

riku1914 wrote:
G-Roberts wrote:To be honest, it doesn't matter how the belly looks. End in 6 plait on your overlay and you will be fine. I never drop to a 4 plait on my overlay any more and it works out much nicer. just make sure there is no lumps and bumps in the belly where you drop the strands.
Graeme.

Also he asked about 6 plait, i was watching one of bernie's samples i found for his dvd's yesterday, he was working on a 6 plait

belly, and on one side ( if i saw correctly ) he did u1 o2, and on the other side he did u2 o1. That correct?
That is correct for the overlay only to keep everything symmetrical, though each to his own. Some do u2 o1, u2 o1. Or u1 o2, u1 o2. The method for dropping from a 6 plait to 4 plait i described was going off the u2 o1, u2 o1. I should have made this clear :-s If your dropping from the u1 o2 then drop in the bottom strands. I hope this isn't too confusing. You will get there in the end with a lot of practice ;)
Graeme :whip: