help me choose!

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

drewtheman
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

help me choose!

Post by drewtheman »

i am new to this forum but i think it is great! :) i have thinking of getting a bullwhip and im torn between david morgan or a joe strain. i know both are awsome but ever since i was pre teen i wanted a morgan. but the more i hear about joes whip it makes me think twice if you guys can help me with both whips would be awsome! thanks and some recent pictures of both whips will help also thanks.
hit80s
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: help me choose!

Post by hit80s »

Best bang for the buck go Strian
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Joe
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Well, not that there's anything wrong with Morgan, but... Joe Strain is your man. I've never regretted buying from him. And before you ask, go with a 6 or 8 footer, not a 10, if your new to whip cracking. Good luck.
drewtheman
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by drewtheman »

thanks guys for the info! its really hard spending that much money for a morgan when he is not making them anymore. im trying to find some pics of the new morgans but i cant seem to find any i want to compare the two once again thanks
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

That was a big part of my decision process, too. Also, I think Joe used to work with Morgan. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong about that.
drewtheman
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by drewtheman »

so did you ended up getting a strain!
yuji
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by yuji »

I don't own a Morgan, but I'm real happy with my Strain whips. Just ordered my fourth! :whip:
Marhala
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Marhala »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:That was a big part of my decision process, too. Also, I think Joe used to work with Morgan. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong about that.
Joe never worked with David. As far as I know, Joe considers David Morgan a good friend, but can't really tell how much influence David excerted on Joe while learning whipmaking.

ATB,

Aldo.

http://elasticrods.wordpress.com
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Let me echo those who say to go with a Strain. He does EXCELLENT work! I've been more than happy with the 8 foot Strain whip I have.
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

Drew, I'm not sure if English is your primary language or not (excuse me if not), but using proper grammar and punctuation would help. I had to read some of those posts a few times.

Tell us what you plan on doing with the whip. If you asking about basic routines, then we can all throw in our opinion. But as soon as you begin talking budget, color, accuracy, etc., then it all changes. Otherwise some of us big whip enthusiasts could drown you in loads of information.

Don't forget about the threads at the top of this forum for you.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31574" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24283" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Sentimental value goes a long way in making this type of decision...I would say get a Morgan. I never regretted it. If it matters that Mr. Morgan himself is not at the helm, then get a Strain. For years I have always hugged myself for biting the bullet so many years ago and getting a Morgan. It is a lot of money for some woven leather straps so check your needs, wants and desires before you buy.
drewtheman
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by drewtheman »

thanks for all your help! i want a whip for whip cracking hobby. i think i leaning to the strain, all i need to do is pick the 6 or 8. i dont have that big of a yard, so i leaning to the 6. i just dont want to regret it.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

drewtheman wrote:so did you ended up getting a strain!
Yes.

As for the 6 foot or 8 foot choice; I recently tried a 6 and it was a lot of fun. Easy to crack, and it doesn't tire you out as quickly. If you are limited on space, it is a good option.
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

I recently bought a 6' whip from David Morgan (though of course he did not make the whip, but rather Megan and Alex, his apprentices, did). It is a very nice whip, a great length for sure, and I'm happy with it. I bought it when I made my pilgrimage to meet the man when I was up that way in August. I don't think I would have bought it if it hadn't been for the fact that I wanted to commemorate the trip, and having met everyone there, and seeing the whip itself and getting to crack it first, I felt compelled to buy it. I don't regret it, but it was $655, even more than one would pay for a 10' whip from Joe Strain or Bernardo Del Carpio, who make, in my opinion, better whips than the ones coming out of David's shop now. So, all in all, I agree that you'd be better off with Joe, but also that a 6 footer is a good length of choice. If you call Joe, he will also make you a 7 footer, a length I have come to really like a lot. It's a very good compromise. 8' is certainly not too long, but 6' can feel a little too fast. So . . . something more to complicate your decision. Also, check out Bernardo Del Carpio. His work is more like Morgan's in my opinion, than Joe's. That said, Joe's whip are TOPS and you cannot go wrong. I have four Del Carpio's and four Strains, and I love them all equally. But Joe will certainly fill the order more quickly than Bernardo, and you won't regret your decision. You won't regret an order from Bernardo either, but you will have to wait, like I said. If you are new to whip cracking, you probably won't regret the Morgan, except in regards to price. While it may be worth it for the name, it's not worth it for the actual quality in my humble opinion. Both Joe and Bernardo learned from David, as have so many whipmakers, but I think they are better students of David's whips than David's own whipmakers. In fact, I think both Joe and Bernardo have improved somewhat on David's design.

Finally, I will say that I am lucky enough to own a David Morgan made by David himself from 2001, and it is one the very finest whips in my collection. But since these are hard to come by, call Joe.

DHW
Last edited by DarenHenryW on Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drewtheman
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by drewtheman »

thanks daren! that really helped alot on my choice by the way i like your videos on you tube thay are a joy to watch. i would like to see the 6 foot morgan in action. :)
louiefoxx
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by louiefoxx »

Daren,

did you get that Morgan that had the really dark top knot? I took a picture of that whip before it was sold (and so did John Leonetti) and I've had a lot people comment about it.

Louie
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

louiefoxx wrote:Daren,

did you get that Morgan that had the really dark top knot? I took a picture of that whip before it was sold (and so did John Leonetti) and I've had a lot people comment about it.

Louie
Yes indeed I did! Megan said that it had been hanging on the hook for a few months, so I'm sure it's the same one. I thought that it was a very attractive whip, and getting to crack it right there in the store, it was hard to pass up. I bought it, in fact, the day after we hung out!

Here it is:

It's a great whip, but in all honesty, still not as nice as my Del Carpio or Strain whips. But like I said, I'm glad I bought it. And this way, I have two Morgans: one that David made and one that Alex and Megan made.

If you have pics of it, Louie, I would love to see them! Can you post them here?

Daren
louiefoxx
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by louiefoxx »

It'd be the one all by itself on the far left.

Louie
http://bullwhips.org
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

Making some changes, so I've decided to let the 6' David Morgan go, everyone.

Have a look:

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=50736" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Daren