US Wings Signature/Hero/Legend - What's the difference?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

US Wings Signature/Hero/Legend - What's the difference?

Post by Mark Brody »

I know the Legend is based on the original Cooper specs, but how does it compare to the Signature series and the Hero jackets, and what's the difference between each of those?
IndyRiv
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: US Wings Signature/Hero/Legend - What's the difference?

Post by IndyRiv »

Boy, you know --- I really don't know a lot about the Hero or Legend. But I believe the Signature Series may be made off of a generic "Indy" pattern and the types of leathers I see offered (minus the Collector's Edition) tend to be a more generic type. With the Hero and Legend versions, you have the opportunity of getting different, more elegant varieties of leather such as Bison, Straighted Lamb, etc. While the Hero ones tend to be lighter weight lambskins which still are offered in a couple unique types. However, they're made a little thinner and are designed more for those that want a good casual jacket at a more affordable price.

Don't know if this helps, but in the readings and viewings I've done of people on COW here, as well as on the USW site, this is what I've come up with.

All in all - I'd rate them as follows: Legend - #1 (pricier but better quality leathers), Signature - #2 (a nice, durable jacket at a moderate price), Hero - #3 (still a good jacket, but maybe not as "good" a manufacture as the Signature but still a jacket that won't break the budget)

:TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

The Hero and Legend are still different in terms of 'fit', as the Hero still leans more toward the more generous fit of the Signature series, where the Legend is a military fit....much snugger than their other offerings.

For instant, I wear a 'large' in all of the signature and hero versions, and yet should have gone with an XL in the Legend. Though it fits perfectly in the shoulders, it's definitely tighter around the waist than any other Wings jacket I've ever examined and/or owned.

The hide choices are higher end in the Legend series as well.

Regards! Michaelson
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Righto! The Hero most closely resembles the LC jacket in terms of cut and fit, while the Legend jacket is more form fitted, like the Raiders jacket. Ditto on the hides as well. Can't go wrong with the imported Legend in distressed cow. One of the best offerings for the money that has come down the pike in quite some time.
ron521
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ron521 »

I've got a Signature Series, and as mentioned, it is a reasonable LC jacket, not 100% screen accurate, but fairly close. The cut is a little longer than the Legend (my Signature reaches near the middle of my back pockets when I wear jeans). Has D-rings on straps. All have zipper facings. Available in undistressed cowhide and goat, plus vintage cowhide and antique lambskin. All are US made.

The Hero series is similar in cut to the Signature, with minor changes to the fit. Available in "antique cowhide" and "lightweight lambskin". All are imported.

The Legend is more like the jacket in "Raiders", shorter overall length (near top of back pockets, or even above them when worn with jeans), trimmer fit through arms and body, back panel seam meets yoke higher up on shoulder, shape of pocket flaps is different, rectangular sliders and different stitching on straps. May or may not have zipper facings depending on whether jacket is imported or US made (your choice). Available in striated lambskin, vintage cowhide, and bison.
Alathea_Squared
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alathea_Squared »

If one comes across one 2nd hand, how can you tell which one that you have? Here is the Goat that I scored off of Ebay a few days ago. The description that was posted was partly from the "Signature" page at US wings. Can anyone visually tell based on these pics if it is, in fact, a Sig. Series jacket?

IndyRiv
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyRiv »

I would guess that unless a seller has specially specified "Legend" or "Hero", you may have a Signature Series. Most people who I've seen sell either of those two know that they're newer and a lot of people on COW like and are looking for the Legend and Hero jackets due to their tighter fits, more accurate proportions to the original Raiders jacket, etc. while the Signature Series ones are more along the lines of a LC/CS type of fit. Note: this is based off of bits and pieces I've read and seen. I have no definitive evidence to support this, so unless it's backed up by others on here with more experience and reputation, please take it with a grain of salt.

But the BEST way to tell would be to check the measurements of your jacket and ask for others to provide their measurements of the same sized jacket in both the Legend and Hero and compare/contrast.

Just my two cents. Hope it helps.

:TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

As riv has stated above, unless the seller stated it was a legend or hero, the best way to tell if it's a signature series is to check if it is made in the U.S. All Signature Series jackets are/were made in the USA factory.

If so, it is indeed a Schott made Signature Series jacket.

Regards! Michaelson
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Certainly looks like a Signature to me...
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

It also appears to have the cotton lining that they use in their Signature Series goatskin A2's. That's one of their better linings too, in my opinion.

Regards! Michaelson
Alathea_Squared
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alathea_Squared »

In that case Goody Goody! I should have it later this week. Im looking forward to it. The Todd's custom I have in lamb has sleeves that go to the first knuckle of my middle finger-just a tad long. Im hoping they will shorten since I lack the courage or talent to take them in,but for the mean time its a little impractical to wear since i feel like im fighting with those sleeves. The prior owner was a bit taller than me, hence the difference. The goat can be my daily wear so I can spare the lamb.
ron521
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ron521 »

AFAIK, any US Wings goatskin Indy jacket is US made.