Question about ebay seller

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

hit80s
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Question about ebay seller

Post by hit80s »

I was wondering if anyone has seen a whip by arturo6064. I am not buying one but his snake whips look good in pictures. Anyone?
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Re: Question about ebay seller

Post by Texan Scott »

I had some communitcation with this seller before and spoke with him on the phone. It must have been two years ago. About the only reason why I did not get one of his whips is that I got a Murphy instead. He seemed on the level and usually makes whips in cowhide. Defer to his selling history and amount of feedback. He is on the boarder, so undoubtedly he is able to get the leather from Mexico at a bargain.
IndianaBravo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBravo »

I have a 12 footer of his, I wrote about it here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39864&hilit=arturo+rodriguez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; They are very well braided, but the taper is not very good. The second half of the whip is basically the same diameter. Still, Arturo communicates very well, as ships fast as lightning. Perhaps the taper issue is not as noticeable in shorter whips.

Cheers
IndianaBravo
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Bravo,

His whips seem to have an interesting construction. :-k
So it is basically a nylon whip with a leather bolster and overlay?
IndianaBravo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBravo »

Hey Kwad, yep that would seem to be the case. For the money he really does provide a solid product. I have been toying with the idea of taking my 12 footer and undoing the end couple of feet, shaving down the strands to produce more of a taper and the braid it up again. Mebbe I´ll leave it for the summer when I have more time and I´ve gotten more braiding under my belt.

Cheers

Bravo
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Bravo,

Make sure to take a few photos of your progress. (I love them "under construction" photos)

I've toyed with idea making a nylon whip with a leather overlay.

I have a 10plt Jrzjoe (yeah, I know!) whip that is pretty much just a wall-hanger.
The overlay is nice, but, the core is soooo loose, it is useless (God only knows what the core is made out of). I've thought of taking it appart, making a new core out of plaited nylon, and re-using the overlay.

Now that I know it can be made to work, I'll have to give it a try (once I'm done with my current project).
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

I don't think if you really want to know what's inside his whips. Kiscien, polish whipmaker, member of this board had opportunity to replait one.
Inside that one there were rolled cotton cloths, one over another and the handle was wooden. The taper was very poorly made, point of the whips was over half inch thick.
I don't know why people buy his whips. They are so bad, that they can really put off whipcracking.

Good luck with that Bravo!