Wilkerson Performance Raiders by Bernardo Del Carpio

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Wilkerson Performance Raiders by Bernardo Del Carpio

Post by DarenHenryW »

This is the name of my new matched pair of whips, made by master whip maker, Bernardo Del Carpio. Bernardo was kind enough to humor me and name these whips after me. I wanted a pair of whips that would be good for performing for shows. Since Anthony DeLongis has taught me so much, and knowing that he is such a huge fan of the 7 foot length, I wanted a pair of whips that utilized that great all around length for single whip cracking, as well as double. For single whip cracking, it truly is an excellent overall length when you want one whip that can essentially do it all: body wraps, wrist wraps, neck wraps, and finger wraps; as well as a whip for cutting flowers, newspapers, etc. Not to mention, this whip is also a good overall length for showing off multiple crack routines, both with one and two hands. What also makes this whip just that much different is the 9" handle length. Anthony, as many of you know, likes a whip with a 13.5" handle. I found this length a bit too long in general, and for an "Indy" whip, it really wouldn't look right aesthetically. I originally suggested to Bernardo that this pair have 10" handles, but he convinced me that 9" would strike a good balance between leverage and Indy aesthetics. And there you have it, the Wilkerson Performance Raiders whips!

Needless to say, Bernardo absolutely nailed it with everything I asked and hoped for. This pair makes my Del Carpio count up to 4, and they are by far the best yet of the bunch. Bernardo sent one ahead of the other (to avoid any snags with Customs), and so I only had one to use at my last performance last weekend, but it was solid for all my cracks, wraps, and cuts! Thank you, Bernardo! Can't wait to show off the pair at my next gig!

Sorry for the poor quality of the video, but its the first sunny day I've had since I got my whips, and I'm eager to get the review up. And for the record, I just learned the Queensland crossover a little over a week ago, so I'm still working on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keDIbd-7Vlk

Thanks again, Bernardo! You are the best!

Daren Henry Wilkerson
G-Roberts
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Wilkerson Performance Raiders by Bernardo Del Carpio

Post by G-Roberts »

Hey Daren,
This thread should have had a lot of replies :-k Let me just say, FANTASTIC work again from Bernardo :clap: The name definitely suits. BEAUTIFUL pair of Raiders whips. Congratulations on yet another great purchase. I would love to own one of Bernardo's 10ft Raiders whips but can't see myself affording one anytime soon. Its always nice to own a whip I haven't made myself, especially from such a talented whip maker :whip: :notworthy:
Graeme :whip:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

very, very nice.
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

I enjoyed the video very much. I did wonder what do your neighbors think... Anyway very impressive - both your performance and the whips.
best
Canada
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

Thanks, you guys!

Graeme, I too wondered why no one had said anything! Bernardo's whips usually gets lots of play here, and I kind of assumed that the slightly different configuration would get more attention. But I'm glad that YOU guys appreciate it! :TOH:

And for the record, I'm really enjoying them and have used them twice already in performance!

Here's a pic of me using Bernardo's whip to help this little guy experience the cattleman's crack.
:)

DHW
G-Roberts
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by G-Roberts »

DarenHenryW wrote:Thanks, you guys!

Graeme, I too wondered why no one had said anything! Bernardo's whips usually gets lots of play here, and I kind of assumed that the slightly different configuration would get more attention. But I'm glad that YOU guys appreciate it! :TOH:

And for the record, I'm really enjoying them and have used them twice already in performance!

Here's a pic of me using Bernardo's whip to help this little guy experience the cattleman's crack.
:)

DHW

Love this photo Daren :TOH: I think its fantastic that you take our hobby and whip cracking to the next level. Teaching little guys like in the pic is a truly wonderful thing. Young people interested in whip cracking and Indiana Jones is awesome. My son is one of these little guys too and loves everything Indy and whips. Great work Daren, "I'm rather envious"
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

Thanks for that!

To be quite honest, I wouldn't strictly say that I'm able to teach them much, that is, how to use it, because I don't really give the kids a chance to use the whip on their own. This little boy was one of a dozen that day, and so all I do is a little explaining and showing off myself, then I give every little kid a waist wrap, (which I hope everyone out there understands is very safe), then when it comes to cracking it, what you see in that pic is all the whip handling they get: I put the whip in their hand, then I literally put my hand OVER their hand, tell them to relax their arm, and I do all the work. I don't know how terribly exciting it is for them, since they aren't exercising any real control, but in such an environment, where I don't really know anyone there and I'm getting paid, it's best to make sure that no one gets hurt. The first few times I did these parties, I gave the kids a chance to crack the whip on their own. I got lucky and no one whipped themselves, but I realized the payoff wasn't worth the risk.

I have been able to show some kids in my family, my nephews, etc, a little whip cracking, but they are still mostly too young to control the whip too well.

DHW
G-Roberts
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by G-Roberts »

DarenHenryW wrote:Thanks for that!

To be quite honest, I wouldn't strictly say that I'm able to teach them much, that is, how to use it, because I don't really give the kids a chance to use the whip on their own. This little boy was one of a dozen that day, and so all I do is a little explaining and showing off myself, then I give every little kid a waist wrap, (which I hope everyone out there understands is very safe), then when it comes to cracking it, what you see in that pic is all the whip handling they get: I put the whip in their hand, then I literally put my hand OVER their hand, tell them to relax their arm, and I do all the work. I don't know how terribly exciting it is for them, since they aren't exercising any real control, but in such an environment, where I don't really know anyone there and I'm getting paid, it's best to make sure that no one gets hurt. The first few times I did these parties, I gave the kids a chance to crack the whip on their own. I got lucky and no one whipped themselves, but I realized the payoff wasn't worth the risk.

I have been able to show some kids in my family, my nephews, etc, a little whip cracking, but they are still mostly too young to control the whip too well.

DHW
That is very understandable and I totally agree that whips are dangerous and kids shouldn't try to crack whips on there own :TOH: When I was a kid, all I wanted was a whip and would have loved to have even seen an Indy whip. If I got to hold one while someone cracked it with me, I would have been VERY excited.