I finally got myself an AB!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

I finally got myself an AB!

Post by Kredepops »

I've been wanting an AB in a long time, but I havn't been able to afford one. So when I got the chance recently to buy one second hand at a VERY favorable price I jumped at the chance. I paid $150 for it, it's virtually unused and looks crisp and new. I just love it!! The felt is so soft to the touch yet firm.

The seller told me that he bought it from Steve before the Crystal Skull reveal and following business 'boom'. It's got the golden Ra Medallion liner and the AB sweatband. It's also got his initials etched into the sweatband, but I don't mind.

The only downside is that it doesn't quite fit me, it's a size 60 where I usually fit a size 58. The good thing though is that I can display it on my 1:1 Indy mannequin :)

I just took these terrible flash pictures. I'll try and get some in natural light soon :)

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Last edited by Kredepops on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luisiana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: I finally got myself an AB!

Post by Luisiana Jones »

And it looks Awesome! 150 bucks is a great price for it.

Congrats on it m8!

Regards,

LJ
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Is it rabbit felt? Looks like it from the pics.
AnubisScales
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by AnubisScales »

Awesome grab!
Oh and hey, if that hat doesn't fit you, I happen to be a size 60. I promise to love it, and walk it, and feed it-

Er, oops. Lapsed into the "Can I get a puppy" speech...

:TOH: Looks great man! If you put some foam in the sweatband, I betcha you could get that hat to fit like a glove on you.

Wear it in good health! Or I suppose, have your statue wear it in good health! :D

AnubisScales
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Congratulations on your latest fedora. :TOH:

A size 58, eh? That's my size, so please feel free to send it to me. :lol:
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

NICE fedora, Krede! The felt looks much thicker than the AB that I briefly owned. In fact, it appears very sturdy, like HJ rabbit felt. Either way, it's a fantastic hat, and quite a steal at $150! Tell mannequin Indy to wear it in good health! :lol:
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Beautiful hat, Kredepops. Fits your bust...and me...nicely. Its being worn on the head of the man it was originally intended, at least. Put that bust out in the elements and see how the hat holds up. Quite nicely, I'd wager.

Dave
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

VERY nice, Kredepops.
Congratulations!
:D
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

Thanks guys! :D

I really need to put some foam in that sweatband, so I can also wear it myself :D - It's too nice to just sit around on resin-Ford's noggin.
Then I can take it outside for some pics :)

Strider- I honestly don't know... It may be rabbit, I don't know what felt Steve used in the past for these.

Now I got a Peters bros, a Fed IV, a Mag HJ, a Downtowner and an AB :D in my collection. Of course the missus thinks they all look exactly the same :lol:
The AB is definitely my new favorite, although I still love the Magnoli HJ and my old Peters bros.
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

Kredepops wrote:Of course the missus thinks they all look exactly the same :lol:
Aaaaahhh... Yes, that they do. And that also goes for mothers, friends and daughters.
stones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by stones »

You may be able to take the hat down a size or two if necessary by taking out the sweatband and reducing its size a little before stitching it back in. If you can't do it yourself I'm sure one of the hatters here could easily do it for you.

stones
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

If you decide to do that, definitely get it done right, and by a hatter. That's too nice a hat to be experimenting on yourself, and it's worthy of a couplete reblock/resizing by a competent hatmaker to make it fit YOU correctly.

Don't 'make-do'. There are too many lower end hat choices that you can do that with. Not an AB.

Just some free advice and my opinion only. It's your hat. Do what you want, but be happy with results no matter which way you go.

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Check with BendingOak, but I don't think an AB can be brought down that much in size. There was an AB in the Bazaar a while back that was a size or so too large for me and upon inquiring, IIRC, he said that AB felt is already so dense with the high quality felt and then the processing Steve does to stabilize the felt that they can't shrink them down any more than what they end up.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re:I finally got myself an AB!

Post by Kredepops »

thanks for the advice all, I wouldn't dare experimenting with it myself.

I tried fitting it with some foam under the sweatband today and it works nicely, I think that will work fine, then I can always put it on the mannequin when at home.
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

Awesome hat! And great price! :TOH:
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

Very nice!! Glad you can wear it on your own head - an AB is not something for a dummy to stand around in. :TOH:

As for the price, if anyone else out there has a 60 cm. AB that they'll part with for $150, just PM me at your earliest convenience, please. [-o<

LJ
tapon
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by tapon »

Where do you get the dummy? Thanks
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana MarkVII »

tapon wrote:Where do you get the dummy? Thanks

Just look around on any public street. Dummys are everywhere. ;)
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

Thanks :D Yeah it's an awesome deal, I was so worried if anybody else saw his post and snatched it before me [-o<
I paid only $17 for shipping to Denmark which was really cheap too.

LOL @ The dummy is actually a headless mannequin fitted with a 1:1 resin sculpt by Howard Senft. He ocationally sells his work on Ebay, his ebay nick is Chewie15, he's also a member here, so you can always shoot him a PM and ask if he has any for sale. I painted mine myself.
tapon
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by tapon »

Kredepops wrote:Thanks :D Yeah it's an awesome deal, I was so worried if anybody else saw his post and snatched it before me [-o<
I paid only $17 for shipping to Denmark which was really cheap too.

LOL @ The dummy is actually a headless mannequin fitted with a 1:1 resin sculpt by Howard Senft. He ocationally sells his work on Ebay, his ebay nick is Chewie15, he's also a member here, so you can always shoot him a PM and ask if he has any for sale. I painted mine myself.
Thanks!