Dying pants

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

bargle
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Dying pants

Post by bargle »

Has anyone had any experience dying cotton pants? I have been experimenting a bit but not yet got the color quite right. I will post some pics as soon as I can so you can let me know if I got it right.
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: Dying pants

Post by nicktheguy »

I would like to see how they turned out - I never have dyed pants - but I would think the issue would be making sure they don't come out splotched. Be sure to post pics!
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

I dyed my LL bean cotton trousers with great results. Just used RIT liquid dye. My only precaution, keep the trousers/dye mixture moving. The dye has a tendancy to be absorbed by areas with a lot of fabric (pocket flaps and fly area) and if allowed to sit still will absorb in a greater amount in these areas.
Good luck. :TOH:

Travis
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I've had good success with powered RIT dye for both shirts and trousers. I dyed an Indy shirt using Dalexs' color combo. I haven't tried to get a pair of trousers to match Indy colors, but other trousers I've done have come out fine. I always use the washing machine method. Have never had a problem with the machine after. I wipe down the upper surfaces that may have a bit of dye splashed around, but otherwise run a load of sheets or towels that I'm not worried about and after one cycle all traces of dye are gone from the machine. The sheets and towels haven't even picked up any stray dye.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
bargle
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by bargle »

I followed the washing machine method as well. I did this twice, first using medium brown and getting a sort of "pink" result. Not the least bit splotchy, just not quite the color I wanted. I tested a darker brown on a cotton jacket and it was just right, so I did the pants in that color also

The pants are beige Banana Republic cotton pleated front, with pocket flaps on both rear pockets. They have a normal zipper instead of buttons which is fine for "close enough" I picked them up at a thrift store for under ten bucks.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14523349/Indy%2 ... %20007.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14523349/Indy%2 ... %20009.JPG
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Well done.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero