help deciding

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

rawvoodoo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

help deciding

Post by rawvoodoo »

I just got my income tax refund and I am planning on buying another whip. I am torn between either a Joe Strain lonestar 8'or an Anthony De Longis style whip. Where would be the best place to find an whip in that style? Ive been looking at shootist whips. Is there someplace else that I may not know about?
hit80s
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: help deciding

Post by hit80s »

Get the best of both. See if Joe will make a lone star with the De Longis style handle.
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

Your question doesn't make much sense. Where would you find a whip in the Strain or DeLongis style? Uh....from Strain or Jacka. :roll:

You'll need to rephrase your question for us so we can better understand your question. :TOH:
rawvoodoo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by rawvoodoo »

All I am really asking is where can I find a de longis styled whip other than shootist? I want to see what all my options are so I can make the most informed decision that I can.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Terry Jacka is pretty much THE place for a DeLongis style, unless you want nylon. Then Noreast Whips.
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

rawvoodoo,

I would try buying directly from TJ. Buying from a second party means there will be markup in price.

Try here http://theaustralianwhipco.com/default.htm
Last edited by kwad on Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rawvoodoo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by rawvoodoo »

I just searched for Terry Jacka and found the austrialian whip co. Somehow I dont think I have seen this site before. It seems now to be between a Strain and the Jacka. decisions decisions.

thanks for the input everyone
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

What your need for the whip? Do you want basics and a fairly SA whip?
Do you want to do targeting? Multiple cracking?
We can help you further if you give us more details on what it is you are looking for in the whip.

Strain and Jacka are very much different in the whip designs. Both are excellent choices, but different.
rawvoodoo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by rawvoodoo »

right now I am just doing simple cracking. Hoping to move towards multiple cracking. I have a few regular handled bullwhips. As of now though none from a top end maker (until my Del Carpio gets here). I think eventually I will have both. For now though I feel like Im leaning towards the Jacka.
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

What is a regular handled bullwhip? I don't think there's any set standard for a regular handle.

If you are getting a Del Carpio it wont be drastically different from a Strain. There will be many similarities. If you want to go towards multiple cracking, Jacka DeLongis whips are suppose to be similar to a stock and should be good for multiple routines. That's not saying you can't execute multiple cracks with a Strain though. It will give you something different simply because the transition on the whip.
rawvoodoo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by rawvoodoo »

by regular I meant 8". Im still pretty new to all this. I may be generalizing things a bit. I have been thinking of bullwhips with a 8-10" handle as regular and De Longis style as having around a 13" handle with what seems to be a stiffer transition and a thinner thong.
rawvoodoo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by rawvoodoo »

Well our friend DarenHenryW made my decision rather easy. I purchased from him a 16 plait 7' Terry Jacka De Longis Handled whip. The tracking number he gave me has been telling me that tomorrow it will be here. It really made my day today when I walked into the house to see it laying on the kitchen table. Its perfect. Right now it is the absolute best whip that I have. Ive had the Anthony De Longis dvd since christmas and I've watched it 10 or 12 times already. Now all I need is for the snow to make like a tree and get out of here and take the gimpy foot that I made for myself at work with it.
So since my camera stinks Ill post a couple of the pics Daren sent me. Thanks everyone for all the input

tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Wow Daren, why have you sold it? Too many whips in the stable and that was the one least used?
Anyway, congrats Rawvoodoo on acquiring such great whip. Enjoy it!