Which is more SA: G&B Expedition or Wested Custom ROLA?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

bobcatmvp1
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Which is more SA: G&B Expedition or Wested Custom ROLA?

Post by bobcatmvp1 »

If you were to order each of these stock which would be the most screen accurate? For argument's sake they would be in the same type of skin...
bobcatmvp1
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Which is more SA: G&B Expedition or Wested Custom ROLA?

Post by bobcatmvp1 »

I appreciate your response Tundrarider. That gives me an idea. BUT, if someone had a gun to your head and you had to pick the one you thought was the MOST screen accurate, which one would you go with?

Thanks,
Billy
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

The G&B was duplicated from a original Indy Jacket. It has no leather facings, zipper is nickel  Etc... It's a duplicate! 

Peter from Wested made jackets for Raiders.

So you really can't go wrong either way!  It's really up to you. Not trying to be a jerk, just the facts. 

May I add looks like your joining the rest of us for the perfect Indy jacket. Let me tell you it does exist you just have trust your self and pull the trigger on the one YOU like. 

I hope this helps.

Zane :TOH:
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

Please forgive me, because I'm going to deviate slightly at first...

But for THE MOST SA jacket, you would have to go with Todd's. There really is not, IMO and several other who are considered experts in the details of the Raiders jacket, a more SA jacket available. And the price is unbelievable for what you get.

NOW, to answer your question of the jackets you presented...depending on hide which will affect drape and therefore appearance, my vote would be WESTED.

G&B -although I've not owned one and can only base this on photos I've seen and what I've read about comparisons between G&B and U.S. WIngs - seems to be a jacket of some substance. A little thicker, a little heavier or maybe "heavy duty," which again affects things like drape and therefore the overall look...which isn't too SA IMO. It may have SA details, but doesn't wear like an SA jacket. I would almost think a fella could wear it riding around on a Cafe' Bike and both look the part and be offered some above average crash protection at the same time.

Either way, I hope you find a jacket you like.

Mike :TOH:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

haha. I believe THE MOST SA raiders jacket would be a TN would it not. it is a clone from the original Tony had in hand.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Since SA is largely in the eye of the beholder it would follow that a custom Wested is the most accurate - it is based on specs you ask for because that's how you see the film jacket.

Which is the better jacket is a whole different question...
HWaltonJonesJr.Phd
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by HWaltonJonesJr.Phd »

Indiana Holt wrote:haha. I believe THE MOST SA raiders jacket would be a TN would it not. it is a clone from the original Tony had in hand.
:tup: I agree about Tony Nowak. He did copy a screen-used hero jacket from Raiders.
bobcatmvp1
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by bobcatmvp1 »

Didn't G&B use a jacket from the movie to go off of too? I though I saw that in a thread around here.
HWaltonJonesJr.Phd
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by HWaltonJonesJr.Phd »

Based on a stunt jacket I believe.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Correct. That's where people tend to jump the rails about 'screen used' jackets.

Technically they're both correct. Tony's was based on a screen used hero jacket, and the G&B is based on a screen used stunt jacket. Take your pick. ;)

That said, the question was which would be more screen accurate? a G&B or a Wested custom. Well, you're comparing apples to oranges. One is off the rack, and the other a custom. The G&B was based on a screen used stunt jacket, and the other will be custom made jacket (whose company ironically MADE the screen used stunt jacket that the G&B is BASED on!) and can be made to duplicate any frame of the film, so there's no 'real' answer to this question.

Regards! Michaelson
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

Indiana Holt wrote:haha. I believe THE MOST SA raiders jacket would be a TN would it not. it is a clone from the original Tony had in hand.

Well Eric...I suppose you're right. IMO though, although TN's jackets have tru-spec movie details...I've never seen one that drapes like the Raiders Jacket (granted, I've only seen photos, but still...). They look like a heavy hide, ala USWINGS sorta, where it's a more "real-world" last 100years style jacket...
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

oh I totally know what you mean my friend. the only TN jacket I have seen that drapes like the movie jacket is Binks TN. Binks jacket skin was selected after how the real one was. pretty flowey and drapy but darker. Bink wanted an exact copy of the real jacket skin and details. (correct me if I'm wrong Bink) it was the people who sleected thicker skins with more over the top striations and grain, so the drape was lost.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Indiana Holt wrote:oh I totally know what you mean my friend. the only TN jacket I have seen that drapes like the movie jacket is Binks TN. Binks jacket skin was selected after how the real one was. pretty flowey and drapy but darker. Bink wanted an exact copy of the real jacket skin and details. (correct me if I'm wrong Bink) it was the people who sleected thicker skins with more over the top striations and grain, so the drape was lost.
As far as I know, Bink just got a "shrunken lamb" Raiders jacket, the same as a lot of people. That was the leather that was the most like the original that he had in hand, according to Terry.