The Twins.

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

The Twins.

Post by Rundquist »

Here are my new Flight Suits (Gibson & Barnes) Expedition and historical A-2, both done in chrome tanned russet goatskin with olive drab stitching. I’m ecstatic to say the least. The color is really great (especially for Indy fans with an open mind). I’ve included a close-up of the Expedition lining to show how it opens up (a pleated back is pretty much window dressing without a pleated lining). I’ll try to post some pics with the jackets on in the future. Cheers

Last edited by Rundquist on Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harry Steele
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Harry Steele »

Those jackets look fantastic, Rundquist. The russet goat Expo is outstanding. Great choice. The A-2 is sweeeeet. Did you get the A-2 with a collar stand or without?

Boy, that russet will look great complemented by your hats ... Morocco tan, etc.

Good health and high adventure,

Harry
IndianaJames
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaJames »

Olive stitching, thats bad a*s!

How long does it take flightsuits to custom make a jacket?

IJ
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

Those are beautiful! The scallops on your A-2 looks like the pocket flaps in the Stars! picture. Very nice jackets.

I.J.
IndianaCollins
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndianaCollins »

That color Expo looks AWSOME!!! I presume you had to pay extr for that, correct? I'm just curious because I'm hoping to buy a Expo soon. That A-2 looks really great too. I just recently got a Gibson and Barnes catalog, and have been drooling over the jackets in there ever since.
Farnham54
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Farnham54 »

those are some beutiful jackets, Rundiquist. I hope I can join your state of ecstatic-ness in a few weeks!

Regards,

Farn
Bushman
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Bushman »

I always thought an Indy jacket would look great in russet. Boy, does it ever!

(The A-2 is swell, too! :wink: )

Wear them in good health,

Bushman
junior
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Location: Location - the most important thing in real estate

Post by junior »

Rundquist, how is that chrome tanned russett goatskin different from the veg-tanned goatskin I talked about on the thread I posted earlier this week titled "Just received the best leather sample I've ever seen"?
http://www.indygear.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4927

Looks nice.

junior
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Thanks for the compliments guys. Ill see I can randomly answer some of the questions. First off, the A-2 that I got does not have the collar stand, although Flightsuits can certainly do them. I believe that it takes FS roughly about 2 weeks to do a custom jacket (give or take a week). The jacket color did not cost any extra. FS will make any jacket out of any leather. The only leather that there might be limits on is their historical goatskin A-2 Leather. At the moment, this Expedition is my favorite Indy jacket. Cheers
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

I was fortunate enough to see both these fine jackets last night and they are AWESOME!!! Wow! I really love the A2! The color is gorgeous and the olive stitching really gives it a unique, millitary look! FS does it again! Congratulation to the proud Papa of these beatiful babies! They do you proud!

Regards,

Dr. J
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

junior wrote:Rundquist, how is that chrome tanned russett goatskin different from the veg-tanned goatskin I talked about on the thread I posted earlier this week titled "Just received the best leather sample I've ever seen"?
http://www.indygear.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4927

Looks nice.

junior

The major difference is the softness of the chrome goat. Vegetable tanned leathers are stiffer (more military like). The colors are pretty much the same. Once the leathers break in, they’re very similar anyway. The Veg. tanned just takes longer to break in. Cheers
junior
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by junior »

Thanks Rundquist. Let me ask you another question.

You said that this new russett goat Expo is your favorite. Why is that? Is it just the color difference and the Expo style looks good in russett or something else? After seeing the Indy jacket in dark and/oo seal brown for years and years, it is indeed wierd seeing that jacket in a russett color.

Comments?

junior
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

Not to answer for Rundquist. But it's truly a unique Raiders jacket. The color and the "olive drab" stitching really make it stand out. I agree with Rundquist that after awhile the eye starts to get tired seeing the same color, same style. It's similar to him putting on the "bound edge" to his morocan tan Indy fedora. It's just different.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Thanks Sergei. That was a perfect answer. Cheers
SHARPETOYS
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by SHARPETOYS »

Please ship the old kids to me.There is no need to get these newborns upset :D
junior
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by junior »

I was just told that you can get the Expo made in the veg-goat but A. It costs more to do so because of the quality...my sample can attest to that, and B. they advise against it as it is a thicker and more stiff leather that will not drape or hang like the Expedition is suppossed to.

Makes sense,

junior
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Here are a few more pics. You’ll have to excuse my shirt being out :oops:. Although the goatskin on this jacket is soft (it’s softer than my seal goatskin originally was when new), it still needs to break in and loosen up. I’ll take some more pics in six months. Cheers

Rixter
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rixter »

Thanks for showing these extra pix. It’s always nice see how the jacket looks while being worn. I’m sure your new Expedition, now being your “favorite Indy jacket” will get plenty of ‘breakin’ in time.’ :)

Was there any reason you didn’t cover your A-2 with a name tag or any of the historical patches? Seems like an A-2, especially in that color, simply cries out for them.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

At the moment, it is my only A-2. If I get an other one, then I’ll put stuff on it. The moment you put patches or decals on a jacket you loose it’s dress factor (ability to wear with a tie) and it’s ability to be worn with a fedora. Cheers
feathers73
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

G&B A-2 Versus Expedition-Question for Rundquist and Oth

Post by feathers73 »

I saw this post and thought you could answer a question for me. I have a historical horsehide A-2 by G&B and want to order an expedition. I'm a big guy and I wear a 48 Tall. How was the sizing between your G&B A-2 and Expo? My A-2 fits perfect. I am most concerned about the shoulders and sleeve length.

Any other folks in the same boat?

Thanks
SHARPETOYS
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Both 48R

Post by SHARPETOYS »

I have both jackets in 48R and they fit just fine. A 2 is horse and Exp. in goat.
davyjones007
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by davyjones007 »

those jackets are smoken'. I really like that A2 in that color. How heavy are those jackets compared to say a Wested goat or lamb?
Garzo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Garzo »

Does anyone know if G&B will still make the Expedition in Russet Goat? It looks very cool. I heard though that G&B don't really do special orders anymore, although I don't see why they wouldn't do one in russet goat. Might be an extra cost though.
Abner1925
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Abner1925 »

Here are the leathers currently listed as available, though there may be more not online: http://www.flightsuits.com/leather_leathers.html

They list online, that jackets can be customized for an extra $150:
http://www.flightsuits.com/leather_specialsize.html

Regardless, I would call them to ask Amy Garcia or anyone else you choose: http://www.flightsuits.com/contact.html

Hope this helps.
feathers73
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Pics

Post by feathers73 »

Can you please re-post the pics. Some are missing. Thanks
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

That historical A2 is fuller on the body as they say?
Or it has military slim cut?
feathers73
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

A-2 Versus Expo

Post by feathers73 »

I don't know about the jacket posted here, but my G&B A-2 horsehide is more roomier than any other A-2's I have tried (US Auth, Aero, Eastman etc.).
davyjones007
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by davyjones007 »

feathers, how do you like your Flightjacket A2? Is it also HH? how are they when it comes to sizes? I need about a 48L and was trying to find a maker that has correct sizing.
Garzo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Garzo »

I have a G&B russet horsehide size 44 and it fits perfectly. I wouldn't say it fits roomy, but rather just right. My Wested Indy horsehide fit a lot "roomier," so much so that I had to have it taken in some. I also have a G&B ANJ-3 size 44 and it also fits perfect. Next time I'm stateside I will definitely pick up an Expedition.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

That particular Expedition was my favorite. I sold it last summer because I dropped some weight and the jacket became too big. I in fact ended up replacing my entire jacket collection.

To answer the question though, Gibson & Barnes jacket sizes are about the same from jacket to jacket (if you fit a zize 48 A-2, a size 48 Expedition will fit). A G&B A-2 is on the more roomy side of the A-2 spectrum I would say. That is not to say that they are “oversized” (like a modern Cooper), they are just cut with a little more room in the torso (like some of the originals). Many people believe that all original A-2’s were slim cut, and that’s not the case.

As far as getting G&B to make you a russet Expedition these days goes, I would say that your chances are slim to none. They’ve really gone out of the custom jacket market. The only “custom” work they’ll do these days is to try to get you a jacket that fits if you aren’t a standard size. If they were to make you a custom russet Expedition for instance, and then you decided you didn’t want it, they’d be stuck with a jacket that they couldn’t sell. They’d have to eat the cost of the leather and the labor. That’s their reasoning and it’s understandable. Cheers

Not long before I sold it.
feathers73
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by feathers73 »

In regards to the question on my G&B A-2, it is a historical horsehide. Awesome jacket. The leather was very smooth and the fit excellent. I am 6'2" 250lbs and I ordered a 48 Tall or Long whatever they call it. I could probably wear a 50 but the 48 fits fine. It is roomy enough in the chest and body and the sleeves are plenty long yet it still has that trim military look without binding your shoulders. The reason I inquired about the expedition is because I was so happy with the A-2.

The olive stitching looks great. I think Eastman sells one of their contract A-2s with olive stitching. I have a friend that has one and it looks awesome.

I would highly recommend the G&B A-2. It is a lot cheaper than an Aero or Eastman (probably by about $300) and just as nice. The only difference it is a generic A-2 and doesn't match any particular contract specifications.
marco polo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by marco polo »

Thanks for the pics Rundquist :)