Moss Indy fedora

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Moss Indy fedora

Post by Fedora »

Here is a fedora, using my Gray Travel hat block from CS, with a vintage 1 7/8 ribbon listed on the spool as "antique" in color. It is a darker green ribbon. Crown height, open crown is 5 1/2 inches, brim, 3 by 2 5/8. I made it on my 'Michaelson' block.

I shot these pics before I treated it with my water repellant stuff that also kills pounce mottle, and evens out the color. The side shot is an accurate representation of the actual color, as the front shot is washed out, due to sunlight. This is also a copy of my future moss hat, if I ever have the time to indulge. This one goes to someone else.

Last edited by Fedora on Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Moss Indy fedora

Post by Michaelson »

:shock: =P~
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

By the way, the Indy 4 travel hat block was Michaelson's chosen block way before Indy 4 was shot. :D Turns out they liked your personal taste really well! This block is also my fav Raiders block for making a Raiders fedora. Crease it differently and it looks great for a Raiders fedora. And its a real deal, vintage block to boot. I didn't even have to tweak it! :lol: Some things are better left untouched.
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

Funny, I was just telling John Penman that a CS Travel hat in moss would look spectacular--and this one sure proves it! Excellent work, Steve! :clap:

:TOH: Best wishes,
Nebraska Schulte
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:clap:

It's absolutely beautiful! I LOVE that block....as you well know. I'm assuming funds received ok? ;)

HIGH regards! Michaelson
Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Digger4Glory »

Those colors really work well together and make this hat very versatile. The block you used makes the look very classy as well!
Excellent!! :H:
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Well, my friend, watch your mail! :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

\:D/ :notworthy:
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

Be sure to share some more photos once you get it! :clap: :clap:

:TOH: ,
NS
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Looks fantastic Steve! I always love seeing Indyish fedoras in different colours!
Fedora wrote:Well, my friend, watch your mail! :TOH:
I'll be watching his mail too.... :CR:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Nebraska Schulte wrote:Funny, I was just telling John Penman that a CS Travel hat in moss would look spectacular--and this one sure proves it! Excellent work, Steve! :clap:

Nebraska Schulte
One I'd like to see is a taupe/khaki color.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Texan Scott wrote:
Nebraska Schulte wrote:Funny, I was just telling John Penman that a CS Travel hat in moss would look spectacular--and this one sure proves it! Excellent work, Steve! :clap:

Nebraska Schulte

There is an easy way to see one. :CR:
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Texan Scott wrote:

Nebraska Schulte

This one here is as close as I have gotten to the khaki.

And this one here, different hat than the above one that had "camel" ribbon. This next pic has the khaki ribbon.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Digger4Glory wrote:Those colors really work well together and make this hat very versatile. The block you used makes the look very classy as well!
Excellent!! :H:

I do love this vintage block! It is my personal fav, of ALL of the different vintage blocks and handmade blocks in my stable. Unlike my early Indy blocks, these vintage blocks were made by artists, and have no caricatures. Those guys knew exactly how much taper to put into a block, so that the creased hat looked well proportioned. No oddities raise their head when creased when you use vintage blocks. No flat spots on the top of the humps, everything blends together as it should.

I have 4 sets of Raiders block these days. To meet expectations of the customer. If the guy wants a hat that has a bit of caricature, I use one block. If he wants a little taper like some of the Raiders fedora sported, I use another. If he wants a SOC, I have a block for that too, courtesy of LLS, although he has tweaked that block since he made me one to replicate. Than I have this vintage block that I personally prefer, and used on the above hats. I never gave this Michaelson block much thought, until I used it for a Raiders fedora to see what it would yield. I did this right before I made the gray travel hat for CS. Just to see if Ford fiddled with the gray hat, IF, it would have a Raiders look about it. It did, and I chose it for the gray travel hat in CS.

Since that time, I have come to prefer this vintage block for the Raiders fedora. Plus, it has a really classy, traditional look about it that just says early 20th Century. And no matter what sort of crease you throw into it, it always looks really nice to my own eyes.

And I own a complete set of these blocks, bought in pieces from ebay years ago, so all of these are real deal vintage blocks. And of course accurate to the period of Indy. Plus, all of these are one piece blocks, instead of consisting of pieces of wood glued together. Don't have to worry about the glue separating in these blocks, and the blocks coming apart after some use.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Fedora wrote:
Texan Scott wrote:

Nebraska Schulte

This one here is as close as I have gotten to the khaki.

And this one here, different hat than the above one that had "camel" ribbon. This next pic has the khaki ribbon.

Please ship it right away! :P
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

BendingOak wrote:
Texan Scott wrote:

Nebraska Schulte

There is an easy way to see one. :CR:

..HOW praytell, Oaksterville?!! :-k
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

There's a guy in the south that makes them. :D
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

Fedora wrote:Image
What a beautiful color!
Joeyeah_right
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Joeyeah_right »

Gorgeous hat Steve! And a great block too! If I ever get enough money for a Steve Delk hat, it will definitely be a Raiders in the "Michaelson" block.

Joe
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I edited the pics on the moss fedora. Got a better, less washed out shot of the front view, at the start of this thread. Plus, the water repellant treatment had dried, and I knew the pounce mottle would be cured. Regards, Fedora
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:D
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Joeyeah_right wrote:Gorgeous hat Steve! And a great block too! If I ever get enough money for a Steve Delk hat, it will definitely be a Raiders in the "Michaelson" block.

Joe
Thanks. I hate it that my hats cost so much these days, and wish I did not have to do it. But, offering em cheap, for a pure beaver hat, has led to unghastly lead times, due to so many taking advantage of the bargain.

But hey, I reckon if a fan wants exactly what was seen in the last Indy film, I can make that! At any rate, the days that I will still sell em is quickly coming to an end. Which may not be good for the fans, but I will love it. :D My fingers stay sore, and all of my time is spent in the shop these days. But heck, I figure most folks that wanted one has one on order and is waiting for it, or they already are wearing it. Plenty of other great hatters to fill any void left by my own exit. And, I have enjoyed making my hats for the fans. And no doubt my hats will certainly outlast me. They better! I really do think my hats will still be worn at least 25 years from now, and will still look good, if cared for. The hats are expensive, but the bang for the buck is a really good bang. ABs are not disposable hats, but the real deal, genuine hats like our grandfathers wore. And I have found that the older these hats gets, the better they look. They age really well. And much better than me! :lol: Thanks for looking guys! Fedora
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

That is one gorgeous hat!!! :clap:
Georgia Steve
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Georgia Steve »

That is one nice Hat :clap:
I always enjoy seeing pics of your great work.
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Alternating between wearing my Magnoli/AB/HJ & my Penman lids!

Post by Johnny Fedora »

Wow! :clap:
That is one awesome looking hat. And such a cool color to boot.
I reallllly need a hat made on this block. I just love the results!

Cheers!
Johnny
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Beautiful work as always, Steve. I love this color. I first saw a moss hat when John made one and posted pics. I immediately fell in love and wanted one. I still really want a pecan hat from you and hope I can get that order in some time before you stop making them.

I'm curios if my sahara hat came off this block as it reads Raiders Block on the inside of the sweat.

Dave
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

Great looking lid Steve! :)
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Fedora wrote:By the way, the Indy 4 travel hat block was Michaelson's chosen block way before Indy 4 was shot. :D Turns out they liked your personal taste really well! This block is also my fav Raiders block for making a Raiders fedora. Crease it differently and it looks great for a Raiders fedora. And its a real deal, vintage block to boot. I didn't even have to tweak it! :lol: Some things are better left untouched.
I love that Moss! My Sahari "Michaelson" hat came off this same block (even the same size as Michaelson) and I do love how the fedora looks and even more knowing it came off a vintage block that hasn't been fiddled with. I have a CS Travel hat on order and I'm even more excited knowing it too will come off this block.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff