What is your "Go To" jacket?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

What is your "Go To" jacket?

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Many of us on this board own several leather jackets. I want to know what your "Go To" jacket is. You know, the one you wear almost all the time, while the others collect dust in your closet. And it doesn't necessarily have to be an Indy jacket.

My collection is ever-growing (I must sell a few one of these days...), but regardless of what my newest jacket is, I always come back to my first, my 2006 dark brown Wested lambskin Raiders. It just looks best on me and seems like MY jacket more than any other.
Arca Perdida
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: What is your "Go To" jacket?

Post by Arca Perdida »

I have a USW antique lamb, a USW naked cow and a Wested washed goat. The latter is my go to, mainly because of the fit. I love the construction and leather look of my Wings, but the Wested just looks best on me.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Last winter it was my Wings German flight jacket, the one they now call the 'Benz'.

I LIVED in that thing, as any other jacket in my collection has too many seams to keep me warm in the old Plymouth. I have to drive with the driver window down in order to give hand signals (no turn signals on the old car), so the window remains down in all weather (with the exception of a driving rain) and all year round....so that flight jacket was the ONLY jacket I grabbed.

Otherwise, I grab my G&B Expedition.

I used to always grab my Wings VIP until the lining ripped.

Regards! Michaelson
sharkboy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sharkboy »

It's been so long since I could GO TO any of my jackets, I have yet to make a decision. But with a new coldfront in NY, I am hoping to get my US Wings VIP started up. :-k
Band Director Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! Deep in the heart of Texas!

Post by Band Director Jones »

J. Peterman Alternative Duster in natural. Plenty of pockets, looks great with a fedora or a flat cap (which I seem to wear more than a fedora), water proof, and looks great.

After that, it is either an Indy style (which ever I can fit into at the time) or a letter jacket.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: What is your

_ wrote:Well, it was my TN CS until the zipper pull broke off. Now she's in storage.

My go-to has been my 1943 WPG reinforced jump jacket. Soft as cotton gets.

As the weather turns it'll be my 67 Avirex G1.
Yeah, the G-1 just seems more functional than the A-2, with the gussets and bi-swing back. I have a 1989 LL Bean A-2 Flying Tiger jacket that is just awesome (back when they were made in the States and had a more military style pattern), but I find it to be too constricting.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Ever since I got my CS jacket from Tony Nowak. I haven't worn any other Jacket Indy or not.
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

A lot depends on the time of year. Since we're in a cool spell I got my Expedition out this morning, and was struck by how solidly put together it is and how substantial it feels. This is after getting through the summer with my Todd's Standard either on my back or on the seat beside me every day.

My "go to", though, the one I'd keep if I could only have one jacket, is probably my LLBean "Flying Tigers" A2. I've had it about 20 years now. The knits make it that little bit more cozy, it's formed to my arms and torso over many years and feels almost like a second skin when I wear it. Lots of adventures, explorations, memories and misadventures tied up in it, so a certain amount of soggy sentimentality comes into the choice as well.

LJ
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

I'd have to say my USW signature series goatskin Indy. If I know it's going to be a lousy day outside for work, that's the one on my back. If I know it's going to get wasted with nasty stuff, I know I can hose it off and call it good. The only other jacket in my collection I will trust to that kind of abuse is my Todd's standard jacket. That should say something about the durability of the Todd's!

Weston
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

_ wrote:
BendingOak wrote:Ever since I got my CS jacket from Tony Nowak. I haven't worn any other Jacket Indy or not.
I need to get the pull fixed. It was one of those freak things where i packed it (it was too hot to wear) and the ykk pull itself got pinched by the hardware for the sliding handle in the roller suitcase. I do miss it. As I recall, we have the same cowhide? It is thick but not too heavy and at two years old it is so ###### soft...

Should be an easy fix. Mine has seen a lot of rain and I mean a lot of rain. Just love this jacket. I have a closet full of jackets that I don't wear any more because of Tony. I guess that's the down side :-k :lol: I'm so very happy I got it. I told my self at last years QM summit that I would avoid tones table because I didn't need another jacket. How wrong I was. Well worth every last penny I spent on it
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Well, time of year/weather has much to do with it, and given the wild swings that my local weather has had the last few years, a "go to" would be hard to pick out. The jacket that has proven most practical in the most situations is my old US Wings black goatskin. It's good in the rain, roomy enough for layering, and is just plain handy.

However, if it didn't rain so much during fall and spring, I might say my Magnoli Vintage Adventure Jacket. I avoid wearing it in the rain because it looks like it would absorb water like a thirsty sponge.

When it gets darn right cold, though, and I want leather - my US Wings CE Cowhide (the CS dup) is my first choice.
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

I don't have an Indy jacket at the moment; I will get the USW AC Hero in XL Long next Tuesday. We'll see how it is. I probably won't be able to wear it for at least 3 months unless I crank the central air.

In terms of go to jacket, that's a tough call living in FL. It used to be my G&B Expedition or my Wested before I sold them. Otherwise my pea coat. Man, do I miss living in NY. :(
Last edited by JC1972 on Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
cyrano
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by cyrano »

Wested raiders lamb, all year round, in or out. Soft goat when rainy. Novapelle for the seldom cold weather.
IndyFalco
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyFalco »

My "Go To" jacket would be my TN Striated Shrunken Lamb Raiders......... if ........ it ever finally gets made :x
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

Whenever I can it's my Magnoli Raiders. It's looking better(and more battered) all the time. For the rain I have a great waxed cotton waterproof - designed to look like vintage mountain gear and madly expensive http://www.peggsandson.com/jackets/moun ... brown.html
Indiana Dymond
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Dymond »

Now that thing are cooling down for the autum/winter here in the Uk mine will be my WWII US army tankers jacket.

Near perfect jacket for northern europe,even after nearly 70 years since they were first made.
Mine is a good quality reproduction,correct Talon zip(right hand pull...LOL). Real wool blanket lined.

I'd say it goes well with other Indygear too.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

great thread!

My main jacket that I have worn pretty much every day since I got it is the ''Holt'' Raiders in soft drapy goatskin from wested.

it is very broken in and I just love the the way the skin feels and drapes. oh, and no rubbery feel to it.

gotta love a good quality goatskin.

lately I have been wearing the USW naked cowhide.
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

Since the day I got it my Wested LC in Novapelle is my go-to jacket. I feel right at home when I wear it. Before that it was mostly my 2001 Raiders jacket, which got a bit too small in the sleeves for me.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

I have:
Todd`s standard, Expedition in Lambskin, Us wings Indy NZ Lamb, US wings Indy goatskin, Wested in Washed Goat, Nowak Shrunken Lamb and three Joker coats from Magnoli. I also have two beautiful jackets I bought at the Banana Republic Outlet which are very Indy style except that one is really kinda heavy and the other has a banded collar instead of a regular collar. I have been cycling them all but in the end, I keep reaching for my Wested Goat. I love the Raiders look and this one is suppose to be a ROLA but the seams are lined up, the collar is way too Last Crusade, and it is longer in the back than the Raiders look...BUT it feels awesome, fits darn near perfect, is the most comfortable, and aside from Todd`s, looks most like a true Indy jacket ON ME. As much as I love the Raiders look, I think it may not be what looks good on me.
This new Banana Republic one I just got may start to be used more as it is VERY lightweight, yet strong feeling, beautiful dark brown lambskin. It feels as light as a shirt and down here in South Texas it is VERY humid.
My Nowak that I purchased recently is actually kinda heavy but right now it is being put thru the ringer( washed, beaten, battered) to get the grain to relax but I haven`t been able to wear it consistantly enough yet. We`ll see.....
SpeedRcrX
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by SpeedRcrX »

For me my main jacket is my shrunken lamb from Tony ;)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I'd have to say my current go to jacket is my Eastman Rough Wear 27752 A-2 jacket, but that's because I want to break that sucker in!
KingHamlet
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by KingHamlet »

IndyFalco wrote:My "Go To" jacket would be my TN Striated Shrunken Lamb Raiders......... if ........ it ever finally gets made :x
We ordered the exact same jacket in december. Wierd.

My go to jacket is my Dark Brown Crystal Skull Cowhide Last Crusade I got from Tony, if it's cold out, I wear that jacket every #### day.
Harry Steele
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Harry Steele »

My Aero Anniversary A-2.

Harry
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

I've always really liked my Wested Raiders lamb, but now that I have that Antique Cowhide from US Wings, you can't separate me from the thing!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

_ wrote:
BendingOak wrote:Ever since I got my CS jacket from Tony Nowak. I haven't worn any other Jacket Indy or not.
I need to get the pull fixed. It was one of those freak things where i packed it (it was too hot to wear) and the ykk pull itself got pinched by the hardware for the sliding handle in the roller suitcase. I do miss it. As I recall, we have the same cowhide? It is thick but not too heavy and at two years old it is so ###### soft...
Before Tony passed way, he replaced the zip on mine with a heavy duty zip. That one is a VERY nice zipper and should last for years. The original light weight version, on the other hand, was WAY to light for the leather it was trying to hold. The cloth backing behind the bottom of the zip had even frayed.

I believe once you get a decent zipper on that jacket, it will once again become your 'go-to', Todd.

Regards! Micahelson
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

For me...it would be a dead-heat between my Expedition jacket and my Aero "Real Deal" A-2....7th AAF/14th Photo Recon squadron insignia...my "Bugs Bunny" jacket...as long as it's cold enough...that's usually the one I "go to." It gets compliments everywhere I go.

And it's a HUGE hit down at the barber shop.... :TOH:

Regards!
Indydawg

BTW-I agree, Holt...VERY good thread!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Agreed. That original zip on the TN CS was about as bad as I've ever seen come on any jacket in terms of 'strength', but it was 'SA' according to Tony, though he told me himself he wasn't fond of it.

The heavy duty replacement zipper, on the other hand, is built like a tank, and matches the overall heft to the entire package.

Oh, Dawg, my Wings 'Benz' flight jacket is one of the only jackets I've ever owned that I've had a complete stranger walk up and compliment me on too. The other was my MK first production Expedition, and that discussion was with a jacket collector who was complimenting me on wearing a 'vintage' leather jacket that he could see HAD to be at least 60 years or more old, and had aged beautifully. I didn't have the heart to tell him it was only 10 years old and had been artificially distressed by it's previous owner. :[

Regards! Michaelson
Flyderf
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Flyderf »

My go to jacket varies with the weather. Early fall, it's a Avirex cloth A2. I'm really digging my US Wings Antique cow. When colder weather hits, it's the G&B Expedition.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

I'm usually in somewhat of a dilema when I go to the closet to reach for a jacket. Due to some previous credit, I recently received a Wested dark brown lamb, and it is a sweet jacket. The hide is slightly different than the old style, dark brown English lamb, and due to its stiffness initially, it hinted at goatskin. It will receive a good breaking in soon, gotta' break every mare in the herd... ;) Then there is the copper Novapelle, that obnoxious b**d stepchild of a jacket that had to be reworked, and was almost sold. Despite its shortfalls, it's a great skin and well put together. But I have to say that the jacket that I've gotten the most use from in the past is the G&B Expedition in lamb. This is the closest representation I have ever seen to the movie jacket, barring any TN of course. It reminds me of a Todd's Std., big brother. Tough, durable and sturdy, even for lamb, you know you are in good hands when you slide into that one! What perils and pitfalls await you in the concrete jungle, or otherwise....the adventures continue....
Last edited by Texan Scott on Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Michaelson wrote:
Oh, Dawg, my Wings 'Benz' flight jacket is one of the only jackets I've ever owned that I've had a complete stranger walk up and compliment me on too. The other was my MK first production Expedition, and that discussion was with a jacket collector who was complimenting me on wearing a 'vintage' leather jacket that he could see HAD to be at least 60 years or more old, and had aged beautifully. I didn't have the heart to tell him it was only 10 years old and had been artificially distressed by it's previous owner.

Regards! Michaelson

I had the experience yesterday with the new XO. I was at my daughter's soccar practice and an older gentleman (one of the girl's grandfathers) struck up a conversation. He said he owned the same jacket in 1940, which he bought new with a '39 Knucklehead HD. "She sure shows she's been worn and not just stuck in some closet."

I took it as a compliment on my distressing skills and let him tell his stories.
Well played, gents! That's a large part of wearing these jackets like we do-the "conversation starter" factor....I love havin' some older gentleman start asking me about my jacket...and then just let him talk about when he was in the war, or ridin' cross-country...

Again...come for the gear...stay for the people :TOH:
Regards!
Indydawg
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

That's what I did too. No need to burst their bubble when they're traveling down the old nostalgia road. ;)

Regard! Michaelson
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

It's not a Indy or a leather jacket, but when S hits the fan, you can find me in these.
http://www.condoroutdoor.com/602_Soft_Shell_Jacket.aspx
Kubrik
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kubrik »

It used to be my Todd's but now It's my Wested Goat. Solid all round anytime jacket. :tup:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Does anyone remember the day when there was only ONE jacket hanging in the closet in the first place? You only HAD one 'go to' jacket. :lol:

Mine was a military surplus Avirex A-2 flight jacket that I purchased at a local surplus store for $85.

Regards! Michaelson
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Michaelson wrote:Does anyone remember the day when there was only ONE jacket hanging in the closet in the first place? You only HAD one 'go to' jacket. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Now, we're all just spoiled!!! :lol:
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

My go to jacket had been my Wested Raiders in novapelle however I have a feeling this fall/winter it will be my US Wings antique cow hero. I wore it out for the first time today and really loved it.
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

If were talking Indy jackets, since they are all I own, the Todd's Standards are it.

For work, I'll wear the older one. It's had a few repairs here and there, so additional bumps and dings are not heart-breaking.

For the times where I'm in civilian clothes, I'll wear the newer Todd's. I think the darker color looks classier.

Otherwise it is a toss up as I've got a jacket/coat to match just about any situation/weather/event/season and it's really a tough call.
Dunross76
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Dunross76 »

My CS Tony Nowak. I have four jackets and ever since I got my TN, it's the only one I wear.
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

I only have a Todds standard jacket, so that would be my go to jacket. It gets hot where I live so it has a good weight for me. :)
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Michaelson wrote:Does anyone remember the day when there was only ONE jacket hanging in the closet in the first place? You only HAD one 'go to' jacket. :lol:

Mine was a military surplus Avirex A-2 flight jacket that I purchased at a local surplus store for $85.

Regards! Michaelson
Yep. Mine was an Aussie version of the M65 Field jacket. Wore one for years. Classy.

These days I have 4 of those and a lovely black Aplpha M65 and around 35 more jackets, around 10 of which are leather. I have a problem. :roll:

My go to jacket is probably my G&B Expo. Love the goat. I also tend to wear a long black half-belt jacket I got a few years ago made by Mars a quality bike jacket ouitfit over here. It's the jacket that started my post on patterns a few days ago.
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

ep. Mine was an old letterman's-style jacket I picked up from a local sporting goods place that was going out of business. It was one of their samples - powder blue wool body with white leather sleeves. It was pristine and probably 20 years old when I bought it.
:lol: :lol:

Heck, yea! My first "go to" jacket was that old "antique" lambskin A-2 that you ended up with, M...I think it was claimed almost immediately by the Mrs., if I remember correctly!

I bought that thing in a going-out-of-business sale at an old mom and pop store in my old hometown....Delores and Woody's, it was called....cost me 150.00, I think!!!

Wow....time is gettin' away from us, boys!
:TOH:
Indydawg
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Regards! Michaelson
Ha! That was sort of my point with this thread. Despite all the jackets I have purchased since, I still turn to my first as my "go to" jacket. I think my ideal is having just one awesome leather jacket that suits my needs and beyond a shadow of a doubt is MY jacket. Maybe there is no such thing. What is it about a leather jacket that separates it from other articles of clothing? What makes it so special? Why are all of us searching for "the one," as it were?
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

_ wrote:But, as women - and their lawyers - provide feedback to correct this misconception, I finally realized there was no such thing as a perfect woman. Just ones that will put up with us. But jackets? Well at least they don't throw things, write things in lipstick on your car and make you divide your things in half.

I really am a child. Everyday I wake-up and Kelly has not smothered me is like Christmas.

TMI? :TOH:
No.

Just truth.

(Of course, they can say the same about us.)
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

LOL!

Also being a big kid I know that part of me really wants to escape into a fantasy world. I guess I'm actually searching for the jacket that really turns me into Indy if truth be told. No wonder I haven't found it yet! :anxious: :anxious:
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

If you'll humour a jacket newbie - Jacket count = 3,

My 'to go' is my Wested LC in Novapelle. Only had it a few months, but I love it. Not the most SA of jackets, as Holt pointed out, 'No snaps!!'. :lol:

Ian
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

_ wrote:
Ian wrote:If you'll humour a jacket newbie - Jacket count = 3,

My 'to go' is my Wested LC in Novapelle. Only had it a few months, but I love it. Not the most SA of jackets, as Holt pointed out, 'No snaps!!'. :lol:

Ian
Virgin... ;)
Ouch! Somebody call the burns unit :lol:

I'd have more, but you and Holt seem to have them all. ;)

Ian
ron521
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ron521 »

My go-to is a Berman's brown G1/A2 "flight jacket". A detachable fur collar and a zip-out liner make it pretty flexible in terms of temperature. It has a fully functional bi-swing back and ventilated gussets under the arms, and it's cut just full enough that it offers perfect freedom of movment.
The leather is not particularly water-absorbent, so rain mostly just rolls off of it. I've had it for more than 25 years, and it has become like an old friend, comfortable to be around.
ron521
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ron521 »

_ wrote:
ron521 wrote:My go-to is a Berman's brown G1/A2 "flight jacket". A detachable fur collar and a zip-out liner make it pretty flexible in terms of temperature. It has a fully functional bi-swing back and ventilated gussets under the arms, and it's cut just full enough that it offers perfect freedom of movment.
The leather is not particularly water-absorbent, so rain mostly just rolls off of it. I've had it for more than 25 years, and it has become like an old friend, comfortable to be around.
I have a Schott version of that jacket - picked it up in 1991? It STILL isn't broken in! :rolling:
Have seen the Schott...184 I believe? Awesome jacket!
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

ron521 wrote:
_ wrote:
ron521 wrote:My go-to is a Berman's brown G1/A2 "flight jacket". A detachable fur collar and a zip-out liner make it pretty flexible in terms of temperature. It has a fully functional bi-swing back and ventilated gussets under the arms, and it's cut just full enough that it offers perfect freedom of movment.
I have a Schott version of that jacket - picked it up in 1991? It STILL isn't broken in! :rolling:
Have seen the Schott...184 I believe? Awesome jacket!
I'm familiar with that jacket. Pretty nice blend of features, but I really don't like the snap epaulettes. No jacket is perfect, from my perspective, try as I might.

I passed up a vintage horsehide Sears Hercules half-belt in amazing condition on ebay a while back, when I REALLY could not afford it. I've been kicking myself ever since...
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

Patagonia Retro X.