Another Sahari Raider Fedora

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Another Sahari Raider Fedora

Post by Fedora »

I mostly just post different looking Raider fedoras, as they tickle my fancy and figured others might like to see them. This one here, is Sahari, beaver, with a ribbon color in pure rayon called Jamican. I took these in bright sunlight which washed out the Sahari color big time, as it is actually more of a dark sand color than is shown here in these pics. A shame really as the actual color and the ribbon combo looks very good in person. And, no time to wait for better lighting as I generally snap these pics on the run between hats. :lol:

This started out as a 5 1/2 open crown, 1 5/8 ribbon and generic Raider creases. Now, I know we have other hatters here who have really gone after the Raiders blockshape, whereas, I stopped the quest, when I found a blockshape that was close, but also had "lines" that I personally found very pleasing to the eye, although not perhaps film accurate. I am not a purist anymore with the Raiders fedora, as we have others who are, and who fill that niche very well. I guess having my own film hat, the CS fedora, had something to do with this. I know I can make the CS replicas film accurate with no worry! :lol: Ok, enough of the blabbering....

I will own one of these fedoras one day, if I ever can in good conscience take the time to make myself one. And I will be in great company too, with Marc, and Michaelson being owners of the same hat, (hope I did not leave anyone out although I think I did) that shares this same blockshape, but various ribbon colors.

By the way, this is the same felt bodies that Nathaniel used to create the Digging for the Truth hat of Josh Bernstein. Although Nathaniel probably used a western body, whereas I used the dress. Fedora
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Another Sahari Raider Fedora

Post by Fedora »

Ok, I couldn't stand the color being so "off" so here is one that shows it truer. Although it is a bit too dark now! Envision a shade between the outside sunlit pics and this one here taken inside.

And here is a reblocked HJ with this same block used.

And that's my 6 pic limit! Fedora
Last edited by Fedora on Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WalkingEye
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by WalkingEye »

Absolutely beautiful Steve!
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Thanks! Back in the day, there was alot of intersting felt color, ribbon color combos, that Art Fawcett specializes in. I don't have the eye that Art has, as he comes up with some stellar combos, whereas, I tend to keep it more subdued in the hats I made, unless otherwise specified. But I really liked the combo on Michaelson's Sahari fedora and Marc's as well. I like this one too though, since I picked the color to use! :lol: These Sahari hats have all been basically "one off" hats, because most of the ribbon colors have been limited in yardage. The hat above had enough on the roll for one hat!! :lol: And I never have seen the Jamican color prior. Reckon its a really old color that isn't made today. Back in the day, the shades and colors of hat band ribbon was HUGE. Today, not the case. Which keeps some hatters always on the lookout for vintage ribbon. A few years ago, I bought some of the various vintage ribbon that Kathy at B and L had found, but Art beat me to most of it. But he left enough of the earth tones, blacks, etc, which I tend to use more than the really bright no earth tone colors, that Art seems to love. I did buy up numerous rolls of an old color called Iron, that really goes well with gray hats, and has a different, and nice edge binding on the ribbon. I also bought a 1 3/4 ribbon, a roll , that is a dark blue green. Which I have never used, but would go well with the lighter blueish grays. But would really go well with the neutral felt colors, like Sahari, Silver Belly, etc. Fedora
Oklahoma Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Oklahoma Jones »

Wow, Steve, those hats are great!! The bash on both hats really captures(for me) the feel of the Raiders hat, particularly the right profile dent. Simply the best.................
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Oklahoma Jones wrote:Wow, Steve, those hats are great!! The bash on both hats really captures(for me) the feel of the Raiders hat, particularly the right profile dent. Simply the best.................

Yeah, I will have to steam it and work on the left side to get it in deeper before I box it up. The turn sometimes makes the left crease not as deep, as the hat is no longer symetrical, but you can get it a bit better defined. Thanks Oklahoma. Fedora
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Just when I think I am done with fedoras...... ;)

Sooooo beautiful!
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

:dig:
Last edited by theinterchange on Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

Wow that's beautiful! Was that for a customer or just as an experiment? I think you'll have to send that one to me instead! It wouldn't happen to be close to a 22 3/4 would it?

Excelsior!
Riothamus
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Steve,

I have to say this. you have single handedly raiders the bar for the Raiders hat for everyone to aim for. With that and all the work load on your CS hats. No one will see the work that I know you can do. You have replicated the hardest hat ever and done it well I might add ( Enough to raise the bar as high as anyone could). I have no doubt that you could replicate any hat with great detail, or can create any hat. The proof is in the detail that you have done on the Indy hats ( Raiders). If you can replicate the hat with the details that you have done any other hat will be a cake walk for you. You and you alone brought back the great details that was missing in the Raiders fedora and you had no one but your self to help you. I was very lucky to have you and your work to guide me in the right direction. Everyone after you owes you a great deal of thanks. :TOH: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: If I was in the market for a non - Indy hat, I would still go to you Steve. Just before you hang up the rounding jack I would to buy a non Indy from you my friend.
John
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

BendingOak wrote:Steve,

I have to say this. you have single handedly raiders the bar for the Raiders hat for everyone to aim for. With that and all the work load on your CS hats. No one will see the work that I know you can do. You have replicated the hardest hat ever and done it well I might add ( Enough to raise the bar as high as anyone could). I have no doubt that you could replicate any hat with great detail, or can create any hat. The proof is in the detail that you have done on the Indy hats ( Raiders). If you can replicate the hat with the details that you have done any other hat will be a cake walk for you. You and you alone brought back the great details that was missing in the Raiders fedora and you had no one but your self to help you. I was very lucky to have you and your work to guide me in the right direction. Everyone after you owes you a great deal of thanks. :TOH: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: If I was in the market for a non - Indy hat, I would still go to you Steve. Just before you hang up the rounding jack I would to buy a non Indy from you my friend.
John

Such kind words! Thanks John. You know, if not for the Indy 4 hats that I make and still have a huge backlog on, I would have ventured more into non Indy hats, a lot more than I have. It is still a pleasure to make a non Indy hat, when those come to the top of my work list, although, I really don't have many orders in that vein. But is is always a nice change to work with different colors, as you know. Yeah, I think myself and others here blazed the trail on these replications of the Indy fedora. I was just the first one, (I think) to actually offer them for sale. And back when I started, we really had no one that were skilled in handmaking hats, so I think I broke new ground, and had to learn most of this stuff on my own. Which was great fun, by the way. I used alot of trial and error, which is expensive! Today, it is much easier to pick up the craft, with the info that has been posted here over the years.

To date, I have several thousand under my belt, all made by hand. Now I know why I stayed tired all the time!! :lol: I think if they do in fact make Indy 5, I am gonna just offer a limited run of that hat, like say, 300, and then hang up the rounding jack. I just hope Bernie is still working when they make the film, because if not, they may very well use someone else! If so, then I will retire anyways. And retire with the good feeling that I was involved with this iconic film hat, and my hats will forever be on the silver screen, way after I am gone. My own little piece of immortality, such as it is. :lol: And to think that my own success and Marc's is tied at the hips with this great Indy Gear site. It's like something from a movie. Fedora
achi11es
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by achi11es »

That's a gorgeous hat Steve, a colour I'm craving at the moment. I have a similar 40's Knox I bagged on eBay, but with a 2" brim...a raw edge, or so I belived at the time of purchase. When I got it, the sweat read custom edge...meaning it once had a cav edge which was cut off!! Blasphemy! Anyway, this combination of yours is just beautiful - very vintage looking.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Beautiful work, Steve. That wouldn't happen to be my Sahara hat, would it?

Dave
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Dave,

I'm hoping it's mine! [-o< :lol:

If not, I'm all the more excited to receive mine. And then we'll be in the ultra exclusive AB Sahara Hat Club.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

I've seen many non-Indy fedoras that I've admired, but not many I could picture myself wearing. This Sahari Raiders is definitely one of the exceptions!

Beautiful as always :tup:
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Indiana Jeff wrote:Dave,

I'm hoping it's mine! [-o< :lol:

If not, I'm all the more excited to receive mine. And then we'll be in the ultra exclusive AB Sahara Hat Club.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
It very well could be, Jeff. I actually ordered mine with a rust/copper colored ribbon. I was just curios as I haven't seen too many of these babys around. I hope mine isn't too far off, then.

Dave
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

You can see mine everytime you glance over at my avatar. ;)

Another masterpiece, as usual, Steve! :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

Those are just stunning Steve. :clap:

Ian
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

:roll:
Last edited by theinterchange on Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Same here. :TOH:

By the way, GREAT photo of Inspector Japp for your avatar! :M: :tup:

Regards! Michaelson
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

That Sahari Raiders hat looks terrific! :TOH:
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

:#:
Last edited by theinterchange on Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

theinterchange wrote:
Michaelson wrote:Same here. :TOH:

By the way, GREAT photo of Inspector Japp for your avatar! :M: :tup:

Regards! Michaelson
Thank you! I was wondering if anyone even "got" who it was.

Randy
My wife and I are avid 'Poirot' watchers, so the good Inspector and I are 'old friends. ;)
Regards! Michaelson
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

:lol:
Last edited by theinterchange on Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Have you received the hat yet, Jeff? Or was this one for an out-of-COW customer, Steve?

Dave
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Gorgeous lids - as always - Mr. Delk.
:clap:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Dave,

Haven't received anything...yet?

Guess it was another customer. No worries. I have M's avatar to tide me over...

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
XPLSV
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by XPLSV »

Art does have a knack for color combos. I fell in love with one of the hats on his site, but then found out he was out of the vintage rayon shade for that one. He said he could find me something similar...and, frankly, I don't know that I would have been able to tell the difference! :D Lost my job about that point and put off the VS hat order for the time being.

I do like the point you made on another thread, Steve, something similar to beauty being in the eye of the beholder. I think that was what brought me to this site initially...I found a lot of beauty in the Raider style fedora. I'm not too terribly caught up in this or that nuance being screen accurate...I like the style and, when it came down to it, I made the request for the Raiders style over the CS. Both are beautiful and, in my opinion, pieces of art. As I've grown older, I've been a bit better at accepting others for what they appreciate, as opposed to what I think they should appreciate. To each his own.

The Sahari Raider Fedora. A classic piece of Art. :TOH:

Bernie
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Dave, I thought you changed your mind on the Sahari, since you bought a hat close to that color. No? Email me man.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

You know me, always changing my mind ](*,) . Nah, keep it as originally wanted, Sahara with the rust ribbon. You can pick the crown height, brim width, block shape and all that. You know what looks good on me. I know I'm a pain in your ###, but isn't that what I do best? Hope you hadn't ordered that pecan felt yet... :[

Dave
Quindy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Quindy »

Beautiful hat, especially the color of the ribbon in combination with the felt.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

DR Ulloa wrote:You know me, always changing my mind ](*,) . Nah, keep it as originally wanted, Sahara with the rust ribbon. You can pick the crown height, brim width, block shape and all that. You know what looks good on me. I know I'm a pain in your ###, but isn't that what I do best? Hope you hadn't ordered that pecan felt yet... :[

Dave
:lol: Thanks! I thought I was getting old timer's worse than I already had it. Ok, Sahari it is.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Fedora wrote:
DR Ulloa wrote:You know me, always changing my mind ](*,) . Nah, keep it as originally wanted, Sahara with the rust ribbon. You can pick the crown height, brim width, block shape and all that. You know what looks good on me. I know I'm a pain in your ###, but isn't that what I do best? Hope you hadn't ordered that pecan felt yet... :[

Dave
:lol: Thanks! I thought I was getting old timer's worse than I already had it. Ok, Sahari it is.

Nope, it's just crazy ol' David. :CR:
Piker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Piker »

Drool =P~

Love the color combo you created, Steve. :D
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: from Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil but living in Beirut, Lebanon

Post by tekors »

ít has a classic style but yet also a adventure one...
:whip: