I'm going to Seattle to meet David Morgan!

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

I'm going to Seattle to meet David Morgan!

Post by winrichwhips »

I've always wanted to meet David Morgan, so I bit the bullet and bought a plane ticket to Seattle so I can finally do it \:D/ . I'll leave Monday, July 19th and fly back that Thursday.

I figured buying the ticket was the first step, and now I've got to plan everything else. Do you rent a car in Seattle, or a kayak?

Anyone with suggestions of what else is a 'must see' in Seattle? The Space Needle? Since I've never been to Seattle before, I should probably see some of it, though I'm sure I'd be happy if I spent all my time in David's shop looking at whips.

-Adam
www.winrichwhips.com
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: I'm going to Seattle to meet David Morgan!

Post by tomek9210 »

Cheer him from all COW members :TOH: Take many photos!
All the best on the way!
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

Hey Adam, lucky guy! Please take tons of pics for those of us who aren't as lucky and send him regards from us all here at COW!
Cheers,

Franco
Gaucho
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Gaucho »

Adam

I agree Franco opinion. LUCKY GUY :mrgreen:

A visit to David Morgan is a memorable ocasion.

God travel.

Gaucho
Hunter57
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Hunter57 »

I'll be there the 16th through the 22nd.

In gear, at least part of the time. :D
nammann
Vendor

Post by nammann »

Adam,

You have to go to the Fish Market and watch them throw the fish around! maybe pull out a whip and cut one in half while its flying through the air!

just a thought.

Have fun!

Nick
Marhala
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Marhala »

Have a nice trip, Adam!

Aldo.
Soup
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Soup »

Louie Foxx lives in the area, he certainly could help with your sightseeing. Good luck on your trip, very lucky.

Regards,

Soup
Vaderbreath
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Vaderbreath »

While there you should check out Pike Place Market and the waterfront (and the original Starbucks across from the market). There is always the Woodland Park Zoo, the EMP, Seattle Art Museum, Pioneer Square, the Underground tour, a Mariners game at Safeco Field. Lots to do. Louie is a great guy to look up in that area as someone mentioned.
Hunter57
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Hunter57 »

Don't forget the Science Fiction museum(part of the Experience Music Project building).
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

How'd it go?
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Here's a quick rundown of the trip:

-I got to talk a lot with Will Morgan and Megan Baldwin, as well as David, about whips and the philosphy behind David's methods of whip construction.

-I looked through pretty much all of David's collection and helped him clean many of the whips that had this white fungal bloom on them. David reckons the fungus lives on some fat either used in the plaiting soap or at the tannery. It was interesting to note that most all the fungus was on the kangaroo whips and not on many of the cowhide whips. David doesn't think the fungus harms the leather itself.

-I did some whip cracking for David and some of his employees. He seemed to like it.

-I found out that back in the day, David used to use a smaller-diameter spike for the handle of the whip, about 5/16" or a little smaller, contributing to the smaller diameter of the older DM bullwhips.

-I got to watch footage they shot of David making an 8 ft bullwhip back in '98 I think it was. I was totally glued to the screen for the first hour before my concentration started to wane. I thought what they shot was great and I can't wait until it's made into a DVD for sale.

-I tried out the Karaka bullwhips that David Morgan is selling nowadays and was really surprised with how well they cracked. I've since ordered 6 of the 6 ft Karaka bullwhips, with the intention of selling 4 of them.
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Thanks for the list, _!

I don't think that was my last trip to Seattle, so I'm sure the suggestions will come in handy soon.

-Adam

PS: Sorry for no pics with this post. The only pic I have from the trip is my picture taken with David. Will said that some day they hope to put together a coffee table book with pics of all of David's whips.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

_ wrote:Good! I got a million more! I grew-up down south in Puyallup and lived around Lake Washington after college. Also I worked as a bouncer in a lot of good places around the U District (University of Washington). There are so many good restaurants and clubs. I was there working the doors when Nirvana and Pearl Jam were playing in clubs along Lake Union and The Firehouse in Ballard. Lol!
:rolling: You ain't right, my friend... :rolling:

Travis
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana County Jr. »

winrichwhips wrote:Here's a quick rundown of the trip:

-I got to talk a lot with Will Morgan and Megan Baldwin, as well as David, about whips and the philosphy behind David's methods of whip construction.

-I looked through pretty much all of David's collection and helped him clean many of the whips that had this white fungal bloom on them. David reckons the fungus lives on some fat either used in the plaiting soap or at the tannery. It was interesting to note that most all the fungus was on the kangaroo whips and not on many of the cowhide whips. David doesn't think the fungus harms the leather itself.

-I did some whip cracking for David and some of his employees. He seemed to like it.

-I found out that back in the day, David used to use a smaller-diameter spike for the handle of the whip, about 5/16" or a little smaller, contributing to the smaller diameter of the older DM bullwhips.

-I got to watch footage they shot of David making an 8 ft bullwhip back in '98 I think it was. I was totally glued to the screen for the first hour before my concentration started to wane. I thought what they shot was great and I can't wait until it's made into a DVD for sale.

-I tried out the Karaka bullwhips that David Morgan is selling nowadays and was really surprised with how well they cracked. I've since ordered 6 of the 6 ft Karaka bullwhips, with the intention of selling 4 of them.
Adam,
Try switching out the falls for whitehide, it really makes the whips take on a whole new character and feel.

Allen
Will_Morgan
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Will_Morgan »

winrichwhips wrote:Thanks for the list, _!

PS: Sorry for no pics with this post. The only pic I have from the trip is my picture taken with David. Will said that some day they hope to put together a coffee table book with pics of all of David's whips.
Thank you for coming to see us Adam, we all enjoyed meeting you greatly and learned a lot from your visit. It was great to get to know you and see you in machine gunning action. Well before the coffee table book I hope to get a video snippet of you as Whiplash out! If Beth Western orders some more hats I think we will owe you a commission.

Folks, this man has got some skills, and is a great teacher too.
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

On the subject of the fungal bloom, I've had it show up on the leather steering wheel of my van. (I live 10 miles or so from DM)

I've never experienced it anywhere else, it is something to do with weather here and who knows what else.

Glad you had a nice visit. I am overdue to visit the shop but waiting until my mother visits from Australia (she grew up in the outback, David's collection of books about Australia always makes me think of her).
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

_ wrote:We'll be heading home (Seattle) for a couple weeks next summer. I'd love to meet whoever can make it to some kind of meet-n-greet and photo opp. Maybe a trip to David's and a chance for me to pick up a couple filson's shirts?
Sounds like fun, prob get Louie Foxx there too.