Wearing a Fur Felt Fedora During Summer

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

The Antiquarian
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: Los Angeles, California. YouTube Account: The Man-Machine

Wearing a Fur Felt Fedora During Summer

Post by The Antiquarian »

Well, I live in southern California, so I know how warm the summer heat can get, although I have never in fact, worn a fur felt hat of any sort during this time. How many of you wear your fur felts during the summer? I've got a straw fedora, but I would like to alternate between that and my Akubra Federation IV (resembles a sort of cross between the Raider and Kingdom fedoras). Would a fur felt fedora, in this case, my Fed IV, be alright (in regard to health issues such as stroke, etc...), if not necessarily comfortable, in potential 80 to 90 degree weather? In my experience, I can handle the 70s just fine.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Wearing a Fur Felt Fedora During Summer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I wear my felt fedoras year round in hot and humid Miami. It simply doesn't bother me. But, I've been wearing felt hats since I was a boy, so maybe I've just been accustomed to it.

Dave
The Antiquarian
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: Los Angeles, California. YouTube Account: The Man-Machine

Post by The Antiquarian »

So would you say that it can be worn at least moderately comfortably in the tropics, even let's say, Hawaii or central Mexico for example? I personally haven't had problems so far with the warmer weather we've been getting on and off in southern California.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

I don't know how humid SoCal gets, but over here it can get pretty humid (the Netherlands is practically a half drained swamp) and even when the temperatures reach the 90's I still wear my fur hats. I think that they will even prevent heat stroke, but they certainly prevent your head getting sun-burned, which can be even more dangerous in the long term because of skin-cancer.

Regards, Geert
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

I wear my hats all summer. I live and work in the nyc metro area. I work at a camp and Im outdoors literally all day, although I am in the shade quite a bit. Most of the time the temps are in the 80s and 90s. Last year I wore my Fed IV I think every day. I remove it occasionally to wipe my forehead.
Jens
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Jens »

I second that - wearing my Fedora during summer, too - from time to time even in the oriental sun when on excavation. Sure, you'll sweat but it gives your head and especially the eyes the shadow you would need.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

It's currently 43C/111F and I wear either my AB Beaver or Rabbit every day. Despite the sweatband getting a fair bit sweaty, I find I feel more hot with the sun directly on my head than when shaded by a hat.

There's been a number of threads asking about wearing fur felt hats in hot climates. Check posts specifically written by Steve Delk/Fedora. He has scores of stories about the dangers of not wearing hats outside.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

The good part is that there are choices today. Some go for straw, or the Panama type hat in the summer, some prefer their fur felts, while others like the advantages that a breezer hat gives you. It allows your head to breathe while providing sun protection with a 3 inch brim.
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

Wear mine all the time as well. wore it yesterday in the sun with my khaki shorts and a tee-shirt. Only 26 degrees C, but that's hot for the UK. Stopped me from burning and swinting at the sun.

Ian
kiltie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by kiltie »

Two recommendations -

Don't ignore your body: If it's telling you you're hot, you're hot. If it tells you you're thirsty, drink. Just because others wear their felts in summer, that doesn't necessarily make it a good idea for you. I do wear felts in summer, but that leads me to my other point...

I would get a dedicated hat. I have a small collection of hats, but only wear a very few in the late spring and summer months. It WILL get sweat stained on the ribbon and brim break ( salt, etc... ). Yes, if it's a good hat, you can have it cleaned, but that means you won't have it for going out that night, if it's your one good felt. Also, take the liner out of your go-to summer hat.

I'm speaking as a South Central Texan. PLENTY of humidity of late, for sure.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Come on kiltie......

If you can't take the heat become a cop. :CR: :Plymouth:
kiltie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by kiltie »

BendingOak wrote:Come on kiltie......

If you can't take the heat become a cop. :CR: :Plymouth:
Wha...???

A coupla news pics and one from a camera man friend of mine of the summer so far**:
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj29 ... /AGE-b.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj29 ... /age-c.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj29 ... G_1660.jpg

As far as the police go, I noticed during Fiesta this year that all of the policemen were wearing their hats. It was really cool lookin, like a flashback to the 1970's and before; vintage-y... Must be new order from the police chief.
That said, for that week ( Fiesta ), we were making at LEAST four runs a shift for people falling out from heat exhaustion. That's just our little slice of downtown... People tend not to adjust to the elements ( most of these folks were midwesterners and other auslanders ) and wearing a felt hat just contributes to the problem if you're A) not already accustomed to the heat, and B) if you don't take care of yourself even if you are used to it.

I know you're pulling my leg, Oak, so let's just say I'm not giving advice to the OP, I'm trying to save the local FD and ambulance service a trip ;) . Besides, you've always been the resident safety officer.... :TOH:

As far as IndyGear, I suppose there's no better way to get an authentic SOC look.

**that's even my "summer" helmet :-
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Perhaps another way to go would be the Indy straw hat by Peter Brothers. It isn't the type of straw hat that you normally associate with the term in that it really looks like an Indy hat and would have to be cooler than fur felt. It think it sells for a little over $100.

If that's out of budget, Wings sells a straw DP. So yes, it's a DP with all of the nonSA issues that brings to the table, but it's a decent hat that will keep the sun off of you and, again, should be cooler than fur felt.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Kiltie

Yes it's a joke a firemen should find funny.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

If you plan on wearing your Akubra, I'd suggest removing the liner in order to let your head breathe. You'll be amazed how much cooler the hat will become with the removal of that liner too.

I rotate between a couple AB beavers and a PB straw for summer wear myself. The two AB's have had ventilation holes punched in the sides of the crown just above the ribbon, and the liners removed. I ONLY wear these in summer.

I've worn the AB's in the desert of Arizona and Nevada, and just last week in Oklahoma and Texas with no problem. It would have been hotter with NO hat!

Regards! Michaelson
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I highly recommend wearing a hat in summer, but felt is not for everyone. It depends on what you can tolerate. Personally, unless it gets unusually cool, the only time you'll catch me in felt during the summer is at an Indy Summit or the like. Ad it is, I can barely handle wearing straw in the heat, nevermind felt! :Dietrich:
sallah4
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sallah4 »

A fur felt hat during summer. That brings a whole new meaning to the term "Hothead"
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

All joking aside. I tend to wear my beaver felt hats all year round but rabbit felt is going to be less dense so it will breath a bit more than beaver. I was never a fan of taking out the liner because that's the job of the liner. To keep the sweat and dirt off of the felt body. Cost less to replace a liner than clean and re-block a hat.

Straw hats are a good option very those who live in that type of place where summers are just to hot for felt hats.

John
Band Director Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! Deep in the heart of Texas!

Post by Band Director Jones »

I used to wear felt hats during the summer, then it got to be just too hot. Now I wear either a Montecristi or a linen ivy cap.
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

There are also hats made of hemp that are said to be pretty breathable in hot weather. I've been wearing felt year-round with no issues, though. Moisture evaporating through the felt can have a cooling effect, but your lid will be pretty saturated before you really experience that, unless you dip it in the lake. Stay hydrated, take a break when you need to. Sitting down and opening your fly (with due regard for the neighbours) will release a surprising amount of heat. A full bladder is a heat sink, so go when you gotta - and if you don't feel the need, you're not drinking enough water.

LJ
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

I like my Peters Brothers Indy Straw. I believe it's the Milan straw, which is actually hemp. Great for when it's just to hot for fur. I also don't like to remove liners, because the hat interior soils so quickly, for me , anyway.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Heck, I'll throw my nickel into the hat. I wear my AB beaver /AB rabbit year round, right now my rabbit is my go to hat as my beaver fedora is having an issue. You can see it in another thread about proper use of napatha.
Ya I sweat, I just keep a hanker cheif in my pocket.

Croft :mrgreen:
Last edited by Indiana Croft on Tue May 25, 2010 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

BendingOak wrote:All joking aside. I tend to wear my beaver felt hats all year round but rabbit felt is going to be less dense so it will breath a bit more than beaver. I was never a fan of taking out the liner because that's the job of the liner. To keep the sweat and dirt off of the felt body. Cost less to replace a liner than clean and re-block a hat.
All good points, John! I've never found it to be a problem for me, as the sweatband has always been the point of actual head contact on me, with maybe the top touching the top of my noggin. I've never sweat through onto a liner, ever, and have worn hats with liners for well over 30+ years until 3 years ago when I discovered the trick of removing the liner and cooling the hat core by probably a 1/3. The additional vent holes added yet another 1/3 cooling to the crown, so I'm happy with the results.

All that said, as you and Chewy et.al. point out, experiences and results will vary from owner to owner, and it's a decision of the hat owner/wearer to do what works best for them.

As I said above, I also fall back to my PB straw when it gets too hot and muggy for even THOSE adjustments I've done to a couple of my AB's, so it's not foolproof. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I've really looked hard at that PB straw. It appears the best option to me for the really hot days.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

For our area, you'd love one, crismans!

Regards! Michaelson
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

M,

I sweat enough that my liner can get yellow and have seen a lot of different people hats and you are mist likely the few.

When you state punched a hole. Is that the sweatband or felt?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Just above the sweatband in the felt. It was done with a leather punch, and the hole was then sealed inside with felt stiffner.

Both hats have gone through reblocks with no problems at all.

It was a practice used by Stetson (to mention one manuracture) back in the 20's and 30's (you can see hats in advertisements clear up into the 50's) and works....or at least has for me.

Regards! Michaelson
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Michaelson wrote:Just above the sweatband in the felt. It was done with a leather punch, and the hole was then sealed inside with felt stiffner.

Both hats have gone through reblocks with no problems at all.

It was a practice used by Stetson (to mention one manuracture) back in the 20's and 30's (you can see hats in advertisements clear up into the 50's) and works....or at least has for me.

Regards! Michaelson
I've seen them of course but didn't know for sure which one you were speaking of.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Understood. :M: :tup:

Yeah, I like the vent holes to be above the sweat band myself. It allows the heated air above my head to vent out rather than continue to cook my scalp. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Michaelson wrote:Understood. :M: :tup:

Yeah, I like the vent holes to be above the sweat band myself. It allows the heated air above my head to vent out rather than continue to cook my scalp. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
I've had my Fed for about 3 months now....and worn it every day. Just recently though here in Houston its become RIDICULOUS. 90 degrees and 80% humidity. I stopped wearing it for a few weeks but today I wore it to church. *woof*

So, now I'm seriously thinking about your procedure Michaelson, I just don't know if I can bring myself to do that to my first real Indy hat.....
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Well, don't go rushing into that decision, for once it's done, it's done. There's a technique to it and you need the right tools. It's not my thing personally, but it does serve it's purpose. But I guess that's why I prefer straw hats in the summer. ;)
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Wore my Penman beaver LC all day today building my kids a tree house. 90 degrees and very humid with little to no wind. The sweating I do inside that thing (which is fairly profusely) is secondary to the shade provided by the brim. I really want a rabbit raiders with no liner for the summer months. I just don't know if rabbit can stand up to the abuse I dish out to a hat. What say you John?

Travis
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Well, don't go rushing into that decision, for once it's done, it's done. There's a technique to it and you need the right tools. It's not my thing personally, but it does serve it's purpose. But I guess that's why I prefer straw hats in the summer. ;)

I know that Michaelson uses a leather awl to poke the holes and then uses a spray (some felt spray or some hair spray) to spray the holes with after taking the lining. Correct me if I'm wrong....

I might not do it with my Fed I have now, looking into getting a used (cheaper) Fed and using it as my summer hat.

I just prefer the look of felt and can't really afford to get another PB straw. My current PB straw looks hideous on me. I ordered it several years ago and was never aware nor asked about any preferences on it. So its very tall on me, and has some taper.....
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Hollowpond wrote:Wore my Penman beaver LC all day today building my kids a tree house. 90 degrees and very humid with little to no wind. The sweating I do inside that thing (which is fairly profusely) is secondary to the shade provided by the brim. I really want a rabbit raiders with no liner for the summer months. I just don't know if rabbit can stand up to the abuse I dish out to a hat. What say you John?

Travis

I think anything you do to my rabbit hats in the summer it will hold up nicely.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

I would trust John's rabbit felts. Based on what I have done to my Akubra rabbit felts, and what I have learned about what John's in comparison... I wouldn't worry. :-
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:I would trust John's rabbit felts. Based on what I have done to my Akubra rabbit felts, and what I have learned about what John's in comparison... I wouldn't worry. :-

I know you think my rabbit felt is like the Akubra but its not. Its much better.
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

BendingOak wrote:
Chewbacca Jones wrote:I would trust John's rabbit felts. Based on what I have done to my Akubra rabbit felts, and what I have learned about what John's in comparison... I wouldn't worry. :-

I know you think my rabbit felt is like the Akubra but its not. Its much better.

Whoa!! :shock: Really John? Yours must be bullet proof! :clap: I've absolutely battered my Akubra and it's still in good health. My ignorance really, but I got the impression that Akubra rabbit was as good as it got. - Well, that's it.....I'm just getting all my hats from you then. :D :D

Since I discovered beaver, though, I'm converted - It never gets too hot or humid here to wear it.

Just an assumption, but I guess you guys in the hotter states don't wear your Akubras in summer unless you remove the plastic liner - I find that stuff a problem even here in the UK.

Ian
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

BendingOak wrote:
Hollowpond wrote:Wore my Penman beaver LC all day today building my kids a tree house. 90 degrees and very humid with little to no wind. The sweating I do inside that thing (which is fairly profusely) is secondary to the shade provided by the brim. I really want a rabbit raiders with no liner for the summer months. I just don't know if rabbit can stand up to the abuse I dish out to a hat. What say you John?

Travis

I think anything you do to my rabbit hats in the summer it will hold up nicely.
Oh well, get me a jar and start scraping nickels then!!! I figured as much. :TOH:

Travis
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Ian wrote:
BendingOak wrote:

Whoa!! :shock: Really John? Yours must be bullet proof! :clap: I've absolutely battered my Akubra and it's still in good health. My ignorance really, but I got the impression that Akubra rabbit was as good as it got. - Well, that's it.....I'm just getting all my hats from you then. :D :D

Since I discovered beaver, though, I'm converted - It never gets too hot or humid here to wear it.

Just an assumption, but I guess you guys in the hotter states don't wear your Akubras in summer unless you remove the plastic liner - I find that stuff a problem even here in the UK.

Ian
The felt I use, both the beaver and rabbit is the top of the line stuff. The only one better is the beaver that Marc uses for the ABD.
mcmanm
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mcmanm »

I can now attest to what John is saying. I wore the Rabbit Raiders out working in the yard yesterday. Mind you I live in the center of Florida between Tampa and Mickey Mouse. It probably gets hotter here than anywhere else in the state (no ocean breeze). I could immediately tell the difference between the rabbit vs the beaver. It felt much cooler to me. I have a couple of questions for Oak and Michaelson:

John, how does the rabbit hold up in the rain? BTW, still brushing this hat. My wife said it looks like I'm brushing a cat or something :oops: .

Michaelson, do you have any pics of what you are talking about when it comes to the hole punch method? I'm trying to visualize it. I know the hole(s) are above the sweat, but are they hidden by the edge of the ribbon?

Matt
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

mcmanm wrote:I can now attest to what John is saying. I wore the Rabbit Raiders out working in the yard yesterday. Mind you I live in the center of Florida between Tampa and Mickey Mouse. It probably gets hotter here than anywhere else in the state (no ocean breeze). I could immediately tell the difference between the rabbit vs the beaver. It felt much cooler to me. I have a couple of questions for Oak and Michaelson:

John, how does the rabbit hold up in the rain? BTW, still brushing this hat. My wife said it looks like I'm brushing a cat or something :oops: .

Michaelson, do you have any pics of what you are talking about when it comes to the hole punch method? I'm trying to visualize it. I know the hole(s) are above the sweat, but are they hidden by the edge of the ribbon?

Matt

Like I stated in the other thread. That Hat you have I wore in the rain twice and held up well.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

BendingOak wrote:

That's what I meant. That if my Akubra is as good as it has proven, yours would handle much more.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Sorry dude, I must have read one of your post wrong.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

mcmanm wrote:Michaelson, do you have any pics of what you are talking about when it comes to the hole punch method? I'm trying to visualize it. I know the hole(s) are above the sweat, but are they hidden by the edge of the ribbon?

Matt
No, no photos, but they're not all that hard to visualize.

Take a leather hole punch for a whole of about 3/16" in size or so, and punch holes in the felt just above the ribbon in the crown. I punched in 3 holes in a horizontal pattern at 5/8" on both sides of the crown above the ribbon and about 1/2" apart.

When you remove the inside hat liner, the holes are essentially invisible to the casual glance unless someone is looking for them. The leather punch makes a good clean hole, and I then spray the inside of the crown around the hole with hair spray (essentailly a low end lacquer, for what that's worth) to keep the hole from fraying in use.

So far none of my hats with these punched hole have ever frayed at the punches, and they have both been reblocked with no problems due to those punched ventilation holes.

I know in the past bink has posted vintage photos of Stetson summer felt hats from the 40's=50's that show hats WITH these holes punched in the crowns coming direct from the factories. I'm just duplicating that past practice.

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

I was looking for just such pics, Michaelson, but haven't been able to scare them up!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Well, that ball is still in your court, as it was your photo that gave me the idea/information! :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

#-o :lol:
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: from Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil but living in Beirut, Lebanon

Post by tekors »

Hi folks,
I will give my experience in wearing hats during summer. I come from a region where it's really cold in winter and really hot in summer, southern Brazil. But also, I've been leaving in Lebanon for the past 4 years, a country that also is a lot cold (snowing in the mountains) and a #### hot in summer.
The thing with Lebanon that is a lot humid, the Mediterranean region makes you sweat as crazy. Last summer I wore my HJ Poet almost every day. And now, I've been wearing my 1 month old AB Henry at temperatures between 33 to 37 degrees with no problem. :)
Each person sweats in a different way, some more, others less. I am not the kind of sweating a lot (but in Lebanon because of the humidity I've been sweating more).
My secret is to compensate the hat by wearing lighter clothes: white/beige/khaki colours, not heavy fabric.
I've been managing the heat ok then... and the hat gives me protection from the sun. But that's me!!! As I said, I think depends on the person.
Regards :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Excellent info and point, tekors!

I've found as I've gotten older, I just don't handle the heat as well as I did, say, 10 years back. :-k

I've found I THROUGHLY enjoy my straw PB fedora and ventilated felts than I would have admitted not so many years ago.

As you say, each person has their own way of handling it....and for some, fur felt makes no difference what so ever, REGARDLESS of the heat. For others, it's a MASSIVE heat collector. :shock:

Everyone is different.

HIGH regards! Michaelson :M: :tup:
afterthedog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afterthedog »

I never wore hats on a regular basis until I recently got my AB beaver. That being said I recently spent an entire day in 90+ degree temperatures and was very comfortable all day. I found it to be a pleasant change from sun beating down on my ears and neck, and sweating was minimal. However, Colorado summers are pretty dry, and I've never been one to sweat from my scalp much.