Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: My "authentic" web belt & buckle; hopefully an anacronism!

Post by davidd »

This almost takes "obsessive" to a whole new level, my man. Of course, seeing as how I'm a member here, I obviously mean this as a compliment, and I hope you take it as intended! ;)

Besides, I sat here and read through this entire post... S-L-O-W-L-Y and C-A-R-E-F-U-L-L-Y... so as to not miss any of the subtle details and nuances which you both describe and picture so thoroughly and clearly, so I guess that qualifies me as being similarly, albeit vicariously, compulsive as well. I only have a couple of cheap repro web belts, and I'm not very happy with them. The durability isn't there, the hardware seems kind of flimsy, and the end tabs come loose almost immediately. Of course, they only cost five bucks, so ya get what ya pay for.

I remember, though, when I was a (younger) kid, it seemed like the local military surplus store had piles of web belts. That was... a while ago.., long before my Indy-gear interest kicked in (and possibly before Indy had kicked in, but I'd rather not think about that). I imagine the "real deal" belts cost next to nothing back then, seeing as how I still see comments from people who remember when the gas mask bags were common as dirt and cost five bucks or less.

Nice collection, and great photos. It's fascinating to see the differences in weave and color. I imagine the on-set costumers went through a number of these canvas belts during production of the movies. I bet a lot of them were authentically vintage belts, pulled from the wardrobe departments of the studios.

Has your research on this topic revealed when the military began using this style belt, or when they were first manufactured? Was it likely to have been an available surplus or "working man's" item in the mid-1930s? Or is Indy's use of a web belt a case of artistic license?

The first and last photos really show off your awesome gun belt to good advantage. I'm gonna have to back-track and find your gun belt & hardware topic; as I recall, you described in some detail the creation of that excellent piece of gear. It really makes a statement the way you wear it. I need a belt like that.

This is one of the most interesting new "gear posts" I've seen in a while. Thanks for sharing your OCD with us! :TOH:
Last edited by davidd on Sun May 02, 2010 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

davidd wrote:This almost takes "obsessive" to a whole new level, my man. Of course, seeing as how I'm a member here, I of course mean this as a compliment, and I hope you take it as intended! ;)

Besides, I sat here and read through this entire post... S-L-O-W-L-Y and C-A-R-E-F-U-L-L-Y... so as to not miss any of the subtle details and nuances which you both describe and picture so thoroughly and clearly, so I guess that qualifies me as being similarly, albeit vicariously, compulsive as well. I only have a couple of cheap repro web belts, and I'm not very happy with them. The durability isn't there, the hardware seems kind of flimsy, and the end tabs come loose almost immediately. Of course, they only cost five bucks, so ya get what ya pay for.

I remember, though, when I was a (younger) kid, it seemed like the local military surplus store had piles of web belts. That was... a while ago.., long before my Indy-gear interest kicked in (and possibly before Indy had kicked in, but I'd rather not think about that). I imagine the "real deal" belts cost next to nothing back then, seeing as how I still see comments from people who remember when the gas mask bags were common as dirt and cost five bucks or less.

Nice collection, and great photos. It's fascinating to see the differences in weave and color. I imagine the on-set costumers went through a number of these canvas belts during production of the movies. I bet a lot of them were authentically vintage belts, pulled from the wardrobe departments of the studios.

Has your research on this topic revealed when the military began using this style belt, or when they were first manufactured? Was it likely to have been an available surplus or "working man's" item in the mid-1930s? Or is Indy's use of a web belt a case of artistic license?

The first and last photos really show off your awesome gun belt to good advantage. I'm gonna have to back-track and find your gun belt & hardware topic; as I recall, you described in some detail the creation of that excellent piece of gear. It really makes a statement the way you wear it. I need a belt like that.

This is one of the most interesting new "gear posts" I've seen in a while. Thanks for sharing your OCD with us! :TOH:
What he said! :tup: :TOH:

Travis
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

AWESOME belt and buckles Michael! I'm just as OCD as you are when it comes to authenticity :)

Kyle
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

FANTASTIC!

I'm always so jealous of your gear Mike. Unbelievably beautiful collection. :clap:
raider 57
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by raider 57 »

Wow, I'm honored Tundrarider that my Dad's old belt initiated your quest for web belt authenticity.
Glad you were able to aquire a WW 2 buckle, it's very recognizable to me. That color and the distintive shape.......Just Cool!
I will use Dad's vintage buckle from now on as Indy Issue!
Your distressing job is quite nice too!

On a side note, in period photos of my Dad "in the field" (a Lieutenant at the time) he appears to be wearing an enlisted man's type belt. Like this style buckle:
http://www.atthefront.com/us/uniforms/i ... buckle.jpg
So his officer's belt may have been used more for dress wear at the time.
~raider 57
BazzanoJones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by BazzanoJones »

First of all: great choice and "realistic interpretation", Tundrarider! As usual! :clap:
The idea to use a replica of the real WW2 service belts (with the inside markings) it's great.
I have many gear marked "SEMS" in my WW2 USA soldier uniform: they are made in China replicas for the german company "MilTec/Sturm".

I don't know if this is the right place, but I've recently found an eBay vendor that sell good Indy style web belt. Some of the khaki LC style belts have a pre-distressed buckle (I've bought one of this and, by now, I'm waiting it).
It's not possible to post here eBay links but if you're interested in it search the shop Fool's Jooles or the vendor skylight16. Then search "khaki web" for LC style or "brown web" for RotlA style.

Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Hey Tundrarider.
I have a quick question. Do the WWII buckle and webing stay better, not sure oof the best wat to descirbe this, but here I go. When I sinch my newer version up tight, it'll relax and my pants will drop down (not all the way though :oops: ) some and it just feels like there not doing the job. Do the WWII version buckles stay sinched, cause it the do I just might be on my own little crusade. Any tipsyou can give on how you found them would also be appreacated.

Oh and I love this thread, your OCD has really paid off, love the little colletion you've got going there.
This shold be made into a sticky, am I right. :clap: :clap: :clap: ;)

Croft :mrgreen:
raider 57
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by raider 57 »

Indiana Croft wrote:Hey Tundrarider.
I have a quick question. Do the WWII buckle and webing stay better, not sure oof the best wat to descirbe this, but here I go. When I sinch my newer version up tight, it'll relax and my pants will drop down (not all the way though :oops: ) some and it just feels like there not doing the job. Do the WWII version buckles stay sinched, cause it the do I just might be on my own little crusade.

Hi Croft. Let me jump in here a bit.
I noticed the same on some newer, cheaper buckle/belts that I have, not always holding it's "setting". These are ones I picked up for, like $5, and are stamped "Made in China". They certainly look the part, but do seem to slip.
My WW 2 always does hold tight!

The buckles/belts I have from Todd's Costume's seem to hold very tight however, so there must be a difference on the inside. Most likely the knurling on the roller. I suppose the weave and/or density of the belt material could also make a difference as well.

Hmmm......... Web Belt Theory.....a new Indy Gear Science :-k

Yeah,Tundrarider. I replaced the webbing from my Dad's. Hard to believe, but he was much thinner than me at the time. :-s I couldn't get it around me, and I'm only a 34!

~raider 57
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

BazzanoJones wrote:First of all: great choice and "realistic interpretation", Tundrarider! As usual! :clap:
The idea to use a replica of the real WW2 service belts (with the inside markings) it's great.
I have many gear marked "SEMS" in my WW2 USA soldier uniform: they are made in China replicas for the german company "MilTec/Sturm".

I don't know if this is the right place, but I've recently found an eBay vendor that sell good Indy style web belt. Some of the khaki LC style belts have a pre-distressed buckle (I've bought one of this and, by now, I'm waiting it).
It's not possible to post here eBay links but if you're interested in it search the shop Fool's Jooles or the vendor skylight16. Then search "khaki web" for LC style or "brown web" for RotlA style.

I just got mine, and I LOVE it. The khaki, is sort of a darker tone. More brownish and the buckle looks quite SA. As to Michaels buckle, now that I think about it, I have a Todds buckle that looks VERY similar to the one you have. But mine is not WWII era (obviously), so that still makes his cooler...

Travis
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Hey I was searching through my stuff today because I recalled I used to have miltary belt that was a promtion from Clint Eastwoods movie Heart Break Ridge, well the brass buckle say on the back "SOLID BRASS" and below that made in USA, could this be an authentic buckle? I'm going to wear it today to see how wellit stays sinched.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Michael, your absolute fanatical obsession will no doubt benefit the hobby in general, but I really have to worry about you sometimes! ;)
Last edited by maboot38 on Thu May 13, 2010 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Well it held up perrty well as amatter of fact, feels like it stayed sinched. I'll continue to wear this over the next day or so and we'll see.
Oh just for the heck of it wha tare the demension of the belt buckle you found and whats the best web belt width to use with it.

It's contagious, I'm tellin ya..... #-o
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

It does, that you.

lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Hi Michael,
Glad to see you got your belt setup. I too ended up using the Mil-tec belts with the SEMS 1942 stamped on them. They are by far the best of the lot and VERY HEAVY DUTY. They fit my WW2 buckles perfectly. I got mine on sale at Sportsman's Guide for 2 belts for $14.97 (reg. $24.97). Looks like the coupon link is still good for this price. I picked the LG size which is 50". I can't recall what the M size length was, 46" I believe.

Sale price;
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/c ... ecid=EX03D

I wear these belts every day and they synch up tight and stay there all day long. I don't miss my leather belts with their holes at all. The WW2 buckles are shorter in length but the width fits the 1-1/2" webbing perfectly.

NOTE: You really have to "smash" down the brass tips onto the Mil-Tec webbing very flat or it tends to get caught up inside the buckle. I just wrapped mine in a towel and used a small hand sledge hammer to flatten it good. This wasn't a problem with the other brands of webbing I bought but the Mil-Tec as I mentioned is very heavy and extra thick. I love the quality.

My Belts
http://www.flickr.com/photos/35223822@N ... 027846985/

This was my quest which sounds a lot like this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=45557
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Michael, have you seen this description elsewhere? I just came across this tonight and the color might be closer to the yellower khaki from the KotCS screenshots I have.

From the site;
New trousers belts. These are all made from od#3 webbing with new, correct WWII type hardware. These are not the beige/ off-white things sold at most surplus stores that kinda-sorta look like WWII. The new generation webbing is 110% identical to WWII weave and color.

http://www.atthefront.com/us/uniforms/t ... nders.html

IndyMaster
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by IndyMaster »

I have a new LC/KotCS web belt, and I don't really know how t distress it. Any suggestions? :-k
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: My "authentic" web belt & buckle; hopefully an anacroni

Post by fenris »

Here's a web belt I picked up here for less than $2.00... I particularly like the look of the buckle. Looks aged and distressed.

The belt material isn't that good, though... It looks like a synthetic material (obvious in the pic) and the khaki color is too light... so I purchased a brown version as well (with the same type of buckle).
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: My "authentic" web belt & buckle; hopefully an anacroni

Post by whipcracker »

lantzn wrote:Michael, have you seen this description elsewhere? I just came across this tonight and the color might be closer to the yellower khaki from the KotCS screenshots I have.

From the site;
New trousers belts. These are all made from od#3 webbing with new, correct WWII type hardware. These are not the beige/ off-white things sold at most surplus stores that kinda-sorta look like WWII. The new generation webbing is 110% identical to WWII weave and color.

http://www.atthefront.com/us/uniforms/t ... nders.html

Hey, that looks like the bag strap slider...