How often do you get the Indiana Jones comments?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

The Antiquarian
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: Los Angeles, California. YouTube Account: The Man-Machine

How often do you get the Indiana Jones comments?

Post by The Antiquarian »

Heh, the other day at school, while walking around campus, I was dressed pretty much how I was in my avatar (see my screen picture to the left); I was wearing my brown Akubra Federation IV, my tan B-15 bomber jacket (1953 model), a light blue oxford dress shirt, blue Levi jeans, a black belt, and brown leather shoes. Well, it turns out that as I was walking by, one girl smiled at me and said "Indiana Jones!" even though I hardly resembled Harrison Ford's character. Now, I don't think she was mocking or poking fun at me so much as she was complimenting me, mind you. I actually did receive another "Nice hat!" compliment the same day.

Just wondering everyone, how often do you get Indiana Jones related comments? I don't actually get it thaaaaat often (with an emphasis placed on the misspelling of the word), but when I do, it usually comes off as pretty positive, not derogatory.
Nicolas Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: How often do you get the Indiana Jones comments?

Post by Nicolas Jones »

Hi!

The other day I was wearing a pair of clarks, a kakhi, a light brown shirt, a velvet jacket and my mkvii well hiden AND NO HAT.

Guess what : two guy sang the Indiana Jones theme when they walked nearby me.

It never happen when I wear my almost SA gear!

Best regards,

Nicolas
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

I get the comment more often when I am wearing my real deal brazil tarp hat than when I am wearing my Penman!!! :x But, thats the great thing about getting older...I don't give a @#$%. :TOH:

Travis
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

I get it every once in a while. What youll find is that you longer you wear this kind of stuff, the less youll hear it, especially around the environments you commonly frequent. In a new environment, all bets are off.
Oklahoma Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Oklahoma Jones »

Hollowpond, do you love your 'Zombieland' hat as much as I love mine? Halloween was a blast last year, and no one had to ask if that was the look I was going for............
Indy35
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indy35 »

Once and only once has someone actually said "Indy" to me. I was wearing my PB raiders at the time, and it was around the end of May '08, so that is probably why. I do here kids sometimes looking and then turn to their friends and say..."that looks just like Indiana Jones hat." but never directly too me, and these kids are 10-13 or younger. Its never a direct comment.

Adults do generally one of two things when i'm wearing ANY of my fedoras: Stare at you like you just landed from another planet or compliment you on the hat. I had some guy when i was walking down the sidewalk staring at me like i had a green mohawk or something, i gave him the TOD stare down...he dropped his eyes so quickly he stumbled. :whip: Apparently his parents never taught him it was rude to stare. :rolling:

I do get compliments about the hats on a very regular basis, hardly a week goes by without a compliment. Had one Thursday from a guy about my AB.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I haven't got that comment for over a year except for a couple of days ago. I was wearing jeans, button down shirt ( green) and my dark moss Penman hat with black ribbon. A older gentlemen who works in the local hobby shop said " you kinda look like Indy."
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

I get it all the time. I usually wear my Todd's Uptowner nearly everyday and always either have someone comment that I look like Indy, or will hear someone whistling or humming the Raiders March as I walk by...just the other day when my wife and I were coming out of Sports Authority 2 kids went past and one of them started with the Raiders March. The best one so far was last year my now wife and I were in Solvang, Ca. and this little girl, maybe six or so, was in the backseat of her family's SUV and as we walked past SHE started doing the march. At that time I was wearing my Downtowner :TOH:

The goofiest part, is I often get punk kids saying something like "howdy" or "yeehaw" when I walk by...and I get that more often in my Fedora than I do when I'm actually wearing a cowboy hat... :-k
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

No one really says anything when I'm out (although I do get some looks). At school, the kids make comments all the time but they know I like Indy so it's more of a joke with the teacher thing than any meaness.
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

The Antiquarian wrote:one girl smiled at me and said "Indiana Jones!" even though I hardly
resembled Harrison Ford's character.
Brother, I sure hope you smiled and said something nice back! When girls say that to me, I say: "That's me!"
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Oklahoma Jones wrote:Hollowpond, do you love your 'Zombieland' hat as much as I love mine? Halloween was a blast last year, and no one had to ask if that was the look I was going for............
Heck yes I am! I am always at the beach in the summer, and while I prefer felt fedora's, they really don't take being drenched in salt water every day for 2 months. That RDB is perfect!

Travis
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I'm aware of people who get it, especially at odd times. I never get it from strangers... so far. I get a lot of snippy Indy remarks from friends and family, though. Enough that it annoys me. Kind of backwards, isn't it, to get be made fun of by those who are supposed to care about your feelings! ](*,)
RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

I get the Indy comment every once in a while, but like Chewy said, it's mostly by friends or family trying to bust my chops. Fortunately, I long since stopped caring about what my these people think. They won't stop being my friends, and they can't stop being my family (for better or worse).

I actually like it when strangers make the Indy remarks. I take that as a sign that Indy is still very firmly entrenched in the culture. It's especially gratifying to hear kids who make the connection, and they NEVER make fun. They love my hat, jacket, etc.

The fedora is our flag; keep it waving! VIVA INDY!

RZ
davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

Hollowpond wrote:I get the comment more often when I am wearing my real deal brazil tarp hat....
Travis
That's because the Real Deal Brazil tarp hat RAWKS when it comes to the "adventure look." Hey, is there a Real Deal Brazil thread here? Would it be appropriate to start one, seeing as how a few of us have 'em, and we do get the Indy comment when we're wearing them? Even though it's far from "screen accurate," the Real Deal Brazil hat certainly has Indy style!

I get the Indy comment when I wear my pith helmet; in fact, there's a photo of me at the elementary school where I work in which I'm wearing a pith helmet, and since it was posted I get "Indy" comments from the kids quite regularly. Last week I got my hair cut, and a couple of kids said, "now you look even more like Indiana Jones." Secretly, I took this to mean I now bear a striking resemblance to Harrison Ford, but the continued lukewarm response from the fairer gender suggests otherwise.
RaiderZee wrote:It's especially gratifying to hear kids who make the connection, and they NEVER make fun.
RZ
Agreed. Kids never make fun. Indeed, they are often impressed, and their appreciation always seems genuine. If nothing else, we're inspiring the next generation of cosplayers, in addition to keeping the Indy legend current!
BaptisteTheFool
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by BaptisteTheFool »

Hollowpond wrote:Agreed. Kids never make fun. Indeed, they are often impressed, and their appreciation always seems genuine.

Kids ONLY ever make fun. They're a miserable lot.

I get a lot of comments from children and it's always in a derisive tone.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Chewbacca Jones wrote: Kind of backwards, isn't it, to get be made fun of by those who are supposed to care about your feelings! ](*,)
Chewie, if it makes you feel any better, I don't care about your feelings. :lol: ;)
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I haven't received an Indy comment in a while now...until about two weeks ago. I recently joined a rock/metal band and I wear a hat no matter what I'm doing. My drummer greeted me by saying "Hey, Indy!" but followed up by saying "I hope you don't take offense to that. I really love your hats! And who doesn't love Indy?!" My theory is that every man secretly, or not so secretly sometimes, loves brimmed hats. Those that bury that deep down are the ones that poke fun. Those that are man enough to admit it, they are the ones that compliment you.

Dave
steerpike
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by steerpike »

The Raiders march follow me everywhere, whenever I wear my hat. My friends call me Indiana, as happens to a lot of guys here, I guess. But the funniest moments are when somebody, in the pub, in street, does the whip cracking sound :whip:

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
afterthedog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afterthedog »

It's interesting, but I NEVER get Indy comments! I wear my hat and jacket all the time, but no one ever says anything. The only place I've been recognized as Indy was at Denver's Starfest where I was in full gear with the Indy March playing from my bag. Otherwise, I definitely get looked at two or three times, but no comments. Maybe I'm just too imposing a figure. ;) . My wife says it's because it actually looks good on me and it's not just a costume, but I like the fear theory better. :lol:
Travelsonic
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Travelsonic »

I get the Indy comment a bit - some people at the college I go to call me "Indy" :P
Brain Scientist
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Brain Scientist »

First time I bought a Fedora was in 1983. I was ITCHING to get one and they only had a grey one. I got it and on the way out of...the mall, (yes, the mall), Darryl Dawkins was signing autographs, (just YouTube the name and enjoy the top 10). While he didn't call me Indy he did give me a knickname, he said, "with a hat like that your name ain't Pat...you're name's The Dude!"

:lol:
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

I've only really gotten it twice....once from my mom, which caught me a little off guard, the other from some random guy in Dolores park here in SF....oddly enough, I was wearing my grey Fed IV at the time.
jkdbuck76
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jkdbuck76 »

For me: once a week.
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

Just like Chewie, I usually get Indy comments from friends and family. They may be picking on me, but it's all in good fun. I'd rather be teased by my friends than by some stranger.
The Antiquarian
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: Los Angeles, California. YouTube Account: The Man-Machine

Post by The Antiquarian »

Well, yesterday me and some of my cousins were on a hike in the hills not far from my neighborhood. On our way back, I decided that we could take a little detour to get back, not the way from whence he came... well, it just so happens that I came across a snake! I noticed it for a slip second or two, it was tan, sort of brown, with multiple patterns if I can recall. When I took that final step, the snake went forward (as in, not towards my direction, but the opposite), but it could have been preparing to go towards me. I immediately ran back to my cousins, as I was a few yards ahead of them. I told them what I saw and all, and there's no denying that they noticed I found it quite unsettling. It was not long before I got the Indiana Jones comment, with the fear of snakes thing and all, as I was wearing my dark brown Akubra Federation IV.
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

well i got a comment about two days ago a bunch of teens were sitting at my wifes "wendys " resturaunt, and i was bringing my wife some supplies from another store and they saw me coming in and the teens yelled out "indiana jones !" the guys were trying to get a nudge from me cause the girls they were with laughing and they thought they would be cool, they had a young boy with them about 8 or 9 and he waved to me i waved back and he was happy as can be , i guess when they saw i wasnt going to go ape s*** on them and that i waved to the small child they just left it and left . sometimes the kids figure if your wearing the hat , they expect you to confront them,( maybe in my younger years i would have told them something) , but i'm grown since then . but yeah when i am wearing my hat , and that is all the time , i always get "nice hat !" it's nice to know that some people enjoy seeing the hat. :D
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

The Antiquarian wrote:Well, yesterday me and some of my cousins were on a hike in the hills not far from my neighborhood. On our way back, I decided that we could take a little detour to get back, not the way from whence he came... well, it just so happens that I came across a snake! I noticed it for a slip second or two, it was tan, sort of brown, with multiple patterns if I can recall. When I took that final step, the snake went forward (as in, not towards my direction, but the opposite), but it could have been preparing to go towards me. I immediately ran back to my cousins, as I was a few yards ahead of them. I told them what I saw and all, and there's no denying that they noticed I found it quite unsettling. It was not long before I got the Indiana Jones comment, with the fear of snakes thing and all, as I was wearing my dark brown Akubra Federation IV.
i hates snakes i was on a vaction in new mexico when i was five and was playing around a rest stop and went to throw away some paper cups and plates when a rattler was in my way and i froze i yelled to my dad and he came and hit it with something and killed it . but since thn i have hate snakes , my wife laughs at me when we go on a walk at the local forest preserve and we see a little grass snake im walking away from it and say" i don't even want to look at it" she then goes and picks it up and continues to laugh and says " can we keep it ?' i say, "ummmm , no!"
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

binkmeisterRick wrote:
Chewbacca Jones wrote: Kind of backwards, isn't it, to get be made fun of by those who are supposed to care about your feelings! ](*,)
Chewie, if it makes you feel any better, I don't care about your feelings. :lol: ;)
It does, thank you. I think. :anxious:
Orange_Blend
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Orange_Blend »

Don't worry about it Chewie! In the circles I frequent if people stop teasing you *That's* when you have to worry!
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

"It happens to ME all the time!"

Kyle
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Interestingly enough, it's been ages since I've heard that remark made to me. Maybe after you pass a certain age, they just give up. :-k ;)

Regards! Michaelson
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Michaelson wrote:Interestingly enough, it's been ages since I've heard that remark made to me. Maybe after you pass a certain age, they just give up. :-k ;)

Regards! Michaelson
I'd say that you've worn yours long enough that it's long since become your look and not Indy's.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:lol:

You may be right, old friend. I get comments when I'm NOT wearing 'my hat'. No identifiers....just 'where's your hat?' ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Interesting reading some of the comments here.

I think the nature of comments you receive can to some extend be a reflection on the way you carry yourself. If you feel very conscious that you are wearing your fedora as you walk down the street and you feel everyone's eyes on you as you pass them, I think you get different comments than if you stride confidently down the street, forgetting you are even wearing a hat.

Ken
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

Ken wrote:Interesting reading some of the comments here.

I think the nature of comments you receive can to some extend be a reflection on the way you carry yourself. If you feel very conscious that you are wearing your fedora as you walk down the street and you feel everyone's eyes on you as you pass them, I think you get different comments than if you stride confidently down the street, forgetting you are even wearing a hat.

Ken
I couldn't agree more.

For awhile there, I would only wear my fedora with at least a dress shirt and a tie. Maybe slacks, maybe jeans, maybe a sport coat or suit jacket, but I would always wear a tie.

Secondarily, when I wore my jacket, I wouldn't wear the hat. I just didn't want the grief. But now, since I've worn both so often, now I can wear them together, and I've built this confidence that you're describing. I'm so comfortable in either one or both, that I can forget, and I wear it confidently without that sense of embarrassment, and it makes all the difference. And the people who see you around town a lot, they start to accept it, I think, and no longer think you're dressing up in a costume, or are being eccentric; its just who you are and they learn to appreciate it. But if you only do it once in a blue moon and act like you're trying to get attention, (or worse still, trying to avoid attention) then its a bad scene, and you may as well stop spending $300-$800 on hats.

Just wear the darn thing! :TOH:

Daren Henry
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Michaelson wrote::lol:

You may be right, old friend. I get comments when I'm NOT wearing 'my hat'. No identifiers....just 'where's your hat?' ;)

Regards! Michaelson
:TOH:
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

Most of my friends don't jeer me that much anymore when I wear my hat. They're getting used to it already.

I did get a lot of "where's your hat?" questions when I wasn't wearing it (while it was having a home-made reblock).
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

My co workers give me Indy comments all the time! You know what I love it! I hear "Dr Jones" almost every day. I enjoy my Indy life style.
KingHamlet
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by KingHamlet »

This weekend we went to the Kentucky Derby, and I got about 10-12 Indy comments during the day. Wonderful feeling at times, especially when I talked to one of the military guys who was keeping watch. He was really fond of the hat. Some of the drunken idiots were kind of obnoxious about it.

Need to post a tribute to Steve's excellent work for keeping my head dry during the wettest derby in history.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

..oh, I get comments all the time...

"Who knows, in a thousand years, even YOU might be worth something!"
"I learned to hate you over the past 10 years!"

Then there were times people were so mad they couldn't even cuss me out plain. It was like....YOU!!...SONAVA!!... :twisted:

..you know, terms of endearment.
Last edited by Texan Scott on Mon May 17, 2010 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

well i know some people can be jerks but one night , i went to the local grocery store and i was wearing my kotcs t-shirt and my uptowner ( which i try not to do , i wear my hat i wear with blank tees or dress shirts ) she looked at my hat and saw my shirt , she asked if i "was going to a showing of the movie somewhere ?", i said "no, just was working outside and didnt change my shirt " "to bad i would have love to see and indiana jones movie with you" she smiled. i was a bit shocked and said "well i'll keep that in mind if i see a showing someplace in the future " she then said "i'd like that " and i paid for my stuff and left , she was a cute little red hed and very friendly , but then again i am married , guess you can't but flirt a little in your indy hat , :D
BaptisteTheFool
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by BaptisteTheFool »

indyclone wrote:well i know some people can be jerks but one night , i went to the local grocery store and i was wearing my kotcs t-shirt and my uptowner ( which i try not to do , i wear my hat i wear with blank tees or dress shirts ) she looked at my hat and saw my shirt , she asked if i "was going to a showing of the movie somewhere ?", i said "no, just was working outside and didnt change my shirt " "to bad i would have love to see and indiana jones movie with you" she smiled. i was a bit shocked and said "well i'll keep that in mind if i see a showing someplace in the future " she then said "i'd like that " and i paid for my stuff and left , she was a cute little red hed and very friendly , but then again i am married , guess you can't but flirt a little in your indy hat , :D

What the ####, man? First those comic con pics and now this? A married man gets more attention than I do? How do you do it? :notworthy:

Actually I had a cute cashier compliment my Uptowner the other day too. She told me she was "in love with it."

I tipped my hat, sad thank you and was on my way with my groceries.
Indy35
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indy35 »

I had a cute little brunette come up to me right on Penn avenue here in DC on Thursday night on my way home from work. Initially i thought she was going to run into me, but she went out of her way to walk over to me and comment on the hat. Had I been more awake...i might have made it an opportunity. ](*,) ](*,)

Some women like the hats, but like mentioned here earlier, its how you wear it, not just that you wear it. Thats why I always tell people wear it proudly, people see it.

So wear'em gents... :TOH:

I should mention it was my AB on my head, so some credit goes to Steve here...
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Michaelson wrote:Interestingly enough, it's been ages since I've heard that remark made to me. Maybe after you pass a certain age, they just give up. :-k ;)

Regards! Michaelson

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooioiooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Do you know what this means? I hit your group. The invisible age group. :(
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

I once walked into a grocery store wearing the pants, shirt, and jacket. I got a couple double takes, but no real comments.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

BendingOak wrote:

Regards! Michaelson

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooioiooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Do you know what this means? I hit your group. The invisible age group. :(
Yep, old friend. May as well get used to it. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
IndyBrit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyBrit »

Well since the jacket and Fedora are daily wear I do get this quite a lot. Kids love it as Indy still has appeal to them as an old fashioned hero. If someone is making fun ( teenagers with their arse hangig out of thier jeans) with "hey Indiana Jones" then.. " it's Dr. Jones to you" is the response. :whip: My pals in my rugby club call me Indy, but it is all in good spirit.

As my jacket is not distressed :M: I often wear a tie with twill trousers for a dress 1930/40's look, and in line with other obesrvations made here this tends to catch the eye of the ladies, which at the ripe age 52 is a good feeling. ( it helps to be fit as well.)

No comments when the Fedora is combined with a suit, just the double take on the hat. Here in Warsaw it is only the older gents who wear felt hats and usually more of a trilby style with taper, so a full and tall crown, such as my recently acquired AB, get's looks largely because it is from another era.

Keep wearing your fedoras chaps.
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

I had an odd one today. I typically visit several construction sites and/or equipment yards a day. Today a guy said "I've seen you around before. I always wondered who that cat in the hat was."

His idiom was sort-of early 60's beatnik, no reference to Dr. Seuss.

LJ
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

Tell the truth. You were wearing a red and white striped stove pipe top hat.
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

My brother has been calling me "Indy" since I was a kid.

The only other time was at Disneyland.
Me and the wifey were walking around a corner when a group of teens were discussing their next ride.
One of them says "We need to go on the Indiana Jones ride next" then turns around and spots me.
She points and says "Look! There he is!! Hi Indy!!" Then she waived at me.
(I was wearing my Fed IV, Wested Raiders, and Todd's bag at the time)

I just smiled and waived back.