Fedoras recycled during WWII

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Indiana Jake
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Seated in a Pan Am Sea Plane, flying over a map of Glendale, CA

Fedoras recycled during WWII

Post by Indiana Jake »

Here's a great old film that I just had to share with lovers of history, fedoras, and recycling.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=51689

Fedoras were recycled into ladies fashion hats during war time. I've never seen this done to a fedora before. :shock: View with caution. After viewing this, you will find out where all those 20's, 30's and 40's fedoras went!

Indiana Jake
achi11es
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Re: Fedoras recycled during WWII

Post by achi11es »

I saw a video similar to this last year at the V&A museum in Knightsbridge when they had an exhibition of hats through the ages. Makes you cringe to think what happened to a lot of vintage hats though! Shows why it is so difficult sourcing British hats from that age - what you mostly find here are Homburgs or narrow brimmed trilbys, it's very rare to come across a fedora from that era.

Zee.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

The way the 'old girl' goes into that brim with the scissors?! Yikes! :shock:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Cool find! I almost passed out when she destroyed that first hat!!! What was wrong with that thing? :o

Travis
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

I wonder how the dear husband really reacted when he saw that...
Hollowpond wrote:Cool find! I almost passed out when she destroyed that first hat!!! What was wrong with that thing? :o

Travis
To us, nothing. But I bet most people from back in the day would wince if they saw how we treat our fedoras, not to mention at how beat-up we still wear them ;)

Regards, Geert
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I diagree. As Michaelson and Fedora have often said, 'back in the day' men wore hats everyday and they were seen as ultilitarian. Maybe they would keep one hat for a Sunday-going-to-church dress hat. With everyday use I'm sure those hats got plenty banged around. By comparison we probably baby our hats.

Now, if you're talking about the artificial distressing, dumping fuller's earth and the like, then yes, those old timers would think we've lost it.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Indiana Jeff wrote:I diagree. As Michaelson and Fedora have often said, 'back in the day' men wore hats everyday and they were seen as ultilitarian. Maybe they would keep one hat for a Sunday-going-to-church dress hat. With everyday use I'm sure those hats got plenty banged around. By comparison we probably baby our hats.

Now, if you're talking about the artificial distressing, dumping fuller's earth and the like, then yes, those old timers would think we've lost it.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
I agree Jeff, I think most men back-in-the-day would be shocked at how some guys baby their hats. Hats protect your head and face from the inclemency of weather and the rigor of the seasons. It was built to take abuse. The turning in the grave would occur if they could see guys wiping their hats down every night with fine mist, wearing them only as an accessory to an outfit, and placing them in fancy hat boxes.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

sure, but I was referring to things as sitting on hats on purpose to get that lived in look and getting them dirty and dusty. Back in the day they probably kept their lids fairly clean and wouldn't even think of kicking it around the yard to get it "just right"

Regards, Geert
Indiana Jake
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Jake »

I just about lost it when I saw that woman take scissors to the brim. I couldn't resist sharing it with the group!

Indiana Jake
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

gwyddion wrote:sure, but I was referring to things as sitting on hats on purpose to get that lived in look and getting them dirty and dusty. Back in the day they probably kept their lids fairly clean and wouldn't even think of kicking it around the yard to get it "just right"

Regards, Geert
People that do that are indeed going for a 'look' that is a snapshot in time. Guys 'back in the day' lived that look everyday. No effort needed. As much as I am a fan of IJ, thats why I dont believe in artificial distressing for my stuff. I buy it as it would have been bought back then, and just wear it and age it as it would have been done back then. That way it doesnt feel costumey to me - it feels more authentic.

These, of course, are just my opinions, and should be treated as such - an opinion and $2.25 will get you on the subway.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

scottyrocks6 wrote: As much as I am a fan of IJ, thats why I dont believe in artificial distressing for my stuff. I buy it as it would have been bought back then, and just wear it and age it as it would have been done back then. That way it doesnt feel costumey to me - it feels more authentic.
Dead on target. :M: :tup: The thing about just wearing our hats/jackets day to day is they start taking on the personality of the owner. THAT'S why some folks just look 'right' in their gear, and others look like they're wearing costume pieces. You gotta wear items daily or on a regular basis for them to take on their own character.....just like they did 'in the day'.

Regards! Michaelson
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Michaelson wrote:Dead on target. :M: :tup: The thing about just wearing our hats/jackets day to day is they start taking on the personality of the owner. THAT'S why some folks just look 'right' in their gear, and others look like they're wearing costume pieces. You gotta wear items daily or on a regular basis for them to take on their own character.....just like they did 'in the day'.

Regards! Michaelson
WORD, Michaelson!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

maboot38 wrote:WORD, Michaelson!
Uh, ok :[ ......."COUNTERPUNTAL". I always liked that word. \:D/

;)

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Jake
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Jake »

I'm no moderator here, but now that we've gotten of topic, how many of you cringed like I did when she went with scissors to that fedora?

Indiana Jake
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Indiana Jake wrote:I'm no moderator here, but now that we've gotten of topic, how many of you cringed like I did when she went with scissors to that fedora?

Indiana Jake
Sorry Jake! ;)

I was indeed horrified at the destruction of that fedora. Sadly, the destruction of perfectly good articles from the past has become...well...."old hat". :mrgreen:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Indiana Jake wrote:I'm no moderator here, but now that we've gotten of topic, how many of you cringed like I did when she went with scissors to that fedora?

Indiana Jake
I'm an administrator here, didn't think it wasn't that far off topic, and I also cringed when she when she used the scissors. Sorry if I 'interrupted' the flow of the discussion.

Regards. Michaelson
MustangLoverMex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by MustangLoverMex »

I almost cry watching that video!!! :-({|=
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

by the way, it's contrapuntal

OK, now back to the crazy hat murdering woman with the scissors...

It's sad to think about how many hats represented men who never made it back. A lot of young brides had to make the best of things. I think if you returned safe and sound, you probably wouldn't get too mad at your wife for her "hobby".
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

"After all, they're only the old man's clothes, aren't they?" :lol:
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

Yes, I was mouth-agape when she went at it with the scissors.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Ok, Ok........ I as the first to read this post but.......... it has taken me this long to wake up from my fall to the floor.......... I'm ok now.......... :Dietrich:
Indiana Jake
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Jake »

John,

I should have just sent this movie link directly to you. I'm glad that you have responded. :shock: I almost knew you would be uncomfortable when viewing the brim cutting. Gives a whole new meaning to 'dimensional cut' brim.

Indiana Jake
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Maybe I should try this with my beat up Christy's... :Plymouth: :lol:
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

You gotta wear items daily or on a regular basis for them to take on their own character.....just like they did 'in the day'.
Yep sure do. It is still great to me how a hat takes on its own character with some good wear. Two guys could buy their hats the same day, the same brand, and go off with them. If they met 6 months later, although both had creased their hats identically, you would not have perfect matches. Just the shape of a guys head morphs the hat into "his hat".

What I love about high quality hats is their ability to last for many years, which allows a hat to become an old friend, with scars that mark happenings in those years. Wearing your history on your head. Something nice about that to me. Yeah, off topic, but once you guys said a brim was cut off, I decided NOT to look. Hard to watch someone destroy a good hat. But in times of world wars, you gotta do what ya gotta do, with raw materials being used for the war effort. At least I understand these hats were recycled. Fedora
raider 57
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by raider 57 »

Cool find Jake!
The clip appears British. I would suppose their WW2 raw material shortages were far worse than here in the States.
I like her finished hat BTW. Sharp!
Thanks for sharing....
Indy35
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indy35 »

Fedora wrote: But in times of world wars, you gotta do what ya gotta do, with raw materials being used for the war effort. At least I understand these hats were recycled. Fedora
I agree here with Steve...

When i first read the thread, i was sure to see a Kreuger style killing of a fedora. I was not quite so repulsed. Taking into account the time and era, it was responsible of them to do it. And actually it was quite ingenious what she did with the hat. I don't think people are as creative with clothes as they were back then. Women actually altered dresses and clothes to create something new out of something new, men did the same with vests and jackets. Today we just buy something new and leave the old to collect dust in the closet, its wasteful IMO.

My only question is how did she answer her husband when he got home from France and asked "Baby where's my grey trilby, you know the one i've had for years?" :lol:
davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

Several years ago I was reframing some nondescript old prints from the 1930s I'd found at yard sales and was horrified to discover that the original frame shop had cut up movie lobby cards to use as the backing cardboard for the nondescript floral prints. Who would have thought back then that, some fifty or sixty years later, the lobby cards would be worth FAR more money than the flower pictures; or that people would actually want to display theater lobby cards on the walls of their homes as "art"?

Besides, I have to agree with the narrator: when he saw her in her new "sporting hat," I doubt he missed his old grey trilby very much.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

One of the most disgusting video I've ever seen (said by one who watches human dissections during lunch break)
:lol:

That hat even looks like it could be from a Raiders block! Makes you want to slap that woman :lol:
However I admire the skill of transforming old clothes into new ones (war period was not easy)... but the hat being cut apart is unbearable to watch
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

It's probably the equivalent of someone cutting up a baseball cap today. Who would care? Not many.
Local Land Surveyor
Vendor

Post by Local Land Surveyor »

"What a vivid imagination."
Thanks for finding this and linking to it. I loved the iron she was using. That is what a hat maker needs. I look for these in antique stores. It speaks volumes at to what was kept aroung the house back then ..... heavy iron, real scissors, thread and needle, hat block and an "old hat". Look how pliable that felt is. A war was on and people became more self sustained that they already were. Nice.

PS: Did you notice the unfaded felt where the ribbon had been?

LLS