My antique mall find

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

viper80134
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

My antique mall find

Post by viper80134 »

Today I was out taking the wife antiquing (which i don't mind, i love looking at old stuff you never know what you find) and as chance had it I went over to their clothes section. Buried under some shoes was a brown fedora, after picking it up i immediately noticed how soft and floppy the hat was. After having some experience with some of Marc's works of art (which so happens that i was wearing my AB-Deluxe that day) i knew right away that it was a beaver pelt. Once I looked inside the hat it read Resistol "Self-Conforming" 880 with the words Kitten Finish Beaver XXX on the rim. I didn't really know much about the hat maker, so with the help of my smart phone I was able to Google some info about it. After reading some info about it I knew I had found a gem amongst disgusting older woman's clothing. I took it to the counter and asked the lady if she knew anything about it and how much she was asking for the hat. She took one look at it and said she had forgotten that she had a hat like this, she said that it was normally $100 but she would sell it to me for $40 since she liked my AB (thanks Marc). So without further ad-dew here are some pic's, I couldn't believe the condition of the hat and hope you enjoy. If any hat experts could tell me a little more about this hat i would be great full.

Enjoy...

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l103/ ... G_0027.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l103/ ... G_0032.jpg

Now this last image is interesting I've never seen marking like this on the sweat band, any thoughts?
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l103/ ... G_0026.jpg
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: My antique mall find

Post by BendingOak »

The P.H. is the owners initials.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Nice find. That looks just like my Knox Dartford, even down to the custom edge treatment, like a Cavanaugh, and the two inch ribbon. How's it fit? You like the stingy brim? Mine is 1 7/8" which is a bit too narrow for my taste. While it is convenient to be able to search on ebay, nothing beats finding a nice hat in person!

I guess this isn't too Indy related, although I like your AB discount! I think it's time I register over at the Fedora Lounge...
zenger
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by zenger »

would make a good Rorschach hat
Garrett
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Garrett »

That one is from the mid 60's. The kitten finish was Resistol's version of a suede finish.
Indy35
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indy35 »

That's a nice lid. It looks like a slightly underdeveloped Indy lid, all the colors and bow are there, it just hasn't grown up yet! :D Think of it as a baby indy. ;)
BwanaJohn
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by BwanaJohn »

A nice "Stingy Brim", trouble is never find anything like that in my size (62). I heard Harrison's/Indy's was a 7 1/4???
Indy35
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indy35 »

BwanaJohn wrote:A nice "Stingy Brim", trouble is never find anything like that in my size (62). I heard Harrison's/Indy's was a 7 1/4???
You're not alone. Although my head isn't as large (22 7/8) most of the intage lids i find are considerably smaller, in the 22 1/4 and lower numbers. People's heads are just bigger now. I've told myself if i ever find a great Cavanaugh edged, tall crown, wide brim lid, in my size, im going for broke.

Ok back on subject...baby Indy :lol:
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Good find. I'd have bought it if it were in my size or slightly larger.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

The best antique mall find in this respect was found for me by Bink in Indiana a few years back....a 1940's Borsalino for $35. Perfect condition, and one I wear often in summer.

I love it! They're still out there folks. Just keep turning over rocks. Viper found this one shoved under a table in a ladies clothing section. You just gotta look in the places no one thinks to look! If you don't see 'em, ASK! Usually owners don't think folks are interested, and they forget they've stored stock out of the way to make more room for milk glass or candy dishes.

You done good, viper! One more rescued from the pit! :M: :tup:

Regards! Michaelson
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Indy35 wrote:
BwanaJohn wrote:A nice "Stingy Brim", trouble is never find anything like that in my size (62). I heard Harrison's/Indy's was a 7 1/4???
You're not alone. Although my head isn't as large (22 7/8) most of the intage lids i find are considerably smaller, in the 22 1/4 and lower numbers. People's heads are just bigger now. I've told myself if i ever find a great Cavanaugh edged, tall crown, wide brim lid, in my size, im going for broke.

Thats not totally true that peoples heads are bigger. The common sizes were all bought up and the real small size didn't sell. Not that many people with those sizes.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

BendingOak wrote:
Indy35 wrote:

Thats not totally true that peoples heads are bigger. The common sizes were all bought up and the real small size didn't sell. Not that many people with those sizes.

This has always been my theory. How can our heads grow that much in such a short period of time. Evolution like that takes hundreds of years. It just makes sense that the more popular sizes (head sizes) were bought up and these never sold, therefore usually in very good condition.

Dave
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

jump on the bandwagon?
Last edited by theinterchange on Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Garrett
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Garrett »

BendingOak wrote:
Indy35 wrote:

yeah, that's why I can get all those tiny vintage 6 7/8 & 7 hats for cheap \:D/
Indy35
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indy35 »

DR Ulloa wrote:
BendingOak wrote:
Indy35 wrote:

This has always been my theory. How can our heads grow that much in such a short period of time. Evolution like that takes hundreds of years. It just makes sense that the more popular sizes (head sizes) were bought up and these never sold, therefore usually in very good condition.

Dave

Im pretty sure its a wives tale, and i've only heard this theory from a few hat folks, and i've never bother to read the literature on human head size. I have better things to do. I just wished i could find something cool in my head size. So you guys could very well be right.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

There are nice vintage hats to be found in the larger sizes. Patience is required though as they generally fetch high prices. Every now and then you find a gem for cheap. I've lucked out on a few but ita because I was patient and persistant and always watching ebay.

Dave
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

DR Ulloa wrote: This has always been my theory. How can our heads grow that much in such a short period of time. Evolution like that takes hundreds of years. It just makes sense that the more popular sizes (head sizes) were bought up and these never sold, therefore usually in very good condition.

Dave
Not necessarily so, Dave. Over 100 years ago a man described as over 6 feet tall was considered huge. Go back to the mid 1800's, and the same individuals were described as 'giants of men'! A 6 foot tall individual in the past 50 years is now considered 'average'.

It doesn't take 'hundreds of years'....just several generations, so I have no problem regarding the smaller sizes due to smaller men. They WERE smaller, and I've found that to be true over and over again in viewing uniforms and clothing on display in museums.

For example, General Longstreet of the CSA in 1861 was described as being 'a bear of a man', at just under 6 feet and weighing over 180 pounds. 'Bear of a man' using today's standards? :-s That's a high school sophomore now...and a small one at that! ;)

In my personal case, I have one of my grandpas hats, and it's size 6 1/8 and he stood around 5 feet 7 inches tall and was considered a big man by the family. My Dad, who was over 6 feet 2 inches in his prime, wore a size 6 7/8 hat. I wear a size 7 3/8, and am just shy of 6 feet 2....3 generations.

Regards !Michaelson
IndianaSean
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaSean »

I must concur. The growth rate is relative. I have witnessed this myself through the years collecting militaria. For example in U.S. gear the average age of a soldier in WWII was early to mid 20's. Average blouse size? About a 36. Today, same age average. Average blouse size? About a 40! It may not sound like much of a difference but when you compare side by side uniforms and material it is quite noticeable. You can really see the difference in headgear and footwear! Then you come across a really rare find and discover a WWII blouse that is a size 42. Very strange indeed. :-k But to get back on track, that is a very nice hat!! Certainly a little mini Indy!! :D

High Regards, :TOH:
Sean
viper80134
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by viper80134 »

Michaelson wrote:The best antique mall find in this respect was found for me by Bink in Indiana a few years back....a 1940's Borsalino for $35. Perfect condition, and one I wear often in summer.

I love it! They're still out there folks. Just keep turning over rocks. Viper found this one shoved under a table in a ladies clothing section. You just gotta look in the places no one thinks to look! If you don't see 'em, ASK! Usually owners don't think folks are interested, and they forget they've stored stock out of the way to make more room for milk glass or candy dishes.

You done good, viper! One more rescued from the pit! :M: :tup:

Regards! Michaelson
Thanks, my thought exactly. I know for now on I'll be looking for Hats like this in any shop I go into in the future.
viper80134
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by viper80134 »

DR Ulloa wrote:
BendingOak wrote:
Indy35 wrote:

Dave
I found the size of this hat under the sweat band it reads 7 1/8. I didn't think to look there earlier, and then i remembered that the size is usually under the sweat band. The condition of the hat is nice, but it seams that it was diffidently warn by some one.
viper80134
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by viper80134 »

[quote="Indy35"]That's a nice lid. It looks like a slightly underdeveloped Indy lid, all the colors and bow are there, it just hasn't grown up yet! :D Think of it as a baby indy. ;)[/quote

You might be on to something, I looked further at the bow and just behind the stitching is part of a blue feather. I've look at some pictures of this style of hat and they did not have the pinch in the front and they had a colorful feather poking up from the bow. Some one might have tried to alter it to make it a make shift Indy hat.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Unless they've been messed with, all vintage hats I've ever seen have a little ticket with size, block number, and so forth, under the liner with the text just barely poking out under it. I've also seen the size just written in pen on the reverse side of the sweat.

Dave
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Same here, Dave. I've seen a LOT of vintage Stetson's with that kind of tag in the past.

Regard! Michaelson