Flattening A Brim

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

NoodlesBubblesBeans
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Flattening A Brim

Post by NoodlesBubblesBeans »

I own an Officially licensed hat I got from Disneyland a couple of years ago, but as I reshaped it, the only problem I have with it is the brim. This brim wasn't originally flat, it was shape to slouch some what. So, I was wondering of someone knows how to flatten this kind of brim, and if so, should I iron it, or would it ruin the felt on the hat? I'll try to post some photographs later.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Flattening A Brim

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

One important thing to know - is it wool felt or fur felt?
Restless Dreamer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Restless Dreamer »

I have one of those hats, a dorfman - fur felt. I tried to flatten the brim ironing it, but as a result I left some marks on the felt. Plus, now that hat looks like a sheriff's hat, the brim being EXTRA flat all around :lol:

I think, but I'm not sure, that you could do the trick by steaming the brim and molding it with your hand. But keep in mind that DPs have a large amount of shellac in them, and also that those hats tend to taper quite easily. If yours is a wool felt avoid steam at all costs...
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

If you iron a brim flat. Thats what you are going to get. A flat brim. The shape of the brim is done shrinking the brim to the flange shape( Think toilet seat). Also,there is a cloth in-between the the iron and felt.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Offhand, I'd say you do not want a purely flat brim. The Indy hat is characterized by a slightly upward curl on the back portion, and slightly curved downward in front. You can achieve this look by working the front portion of the brim, holding it in your hands and using gravity to help soften and shape the brim....IF it is necessary. It may be pre-molded this way?
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

I think the best way to look at the Dorfman "official" hat is that it is not a hat at all, but a wool SCULPTURE of a hat. It is sculpted to look like someone's interpretation of what they remember Indiana Jones's hat to look like.

So...you can change the look of a hat, but with the Dorfman, what you are really trying to do is change the sculpture. The rules are entirely different.

Good luck with that. As someone who attempted a rebash at a Dorfman myself years ago when I was just getting started in the hobby, I would say that the DP is best left as it is. Take it for what it is worth. The DP is its own entity, and trying to turn it into a real Indy hat does both you and the DP a disservice.

Just my opinion. I know many guys buy these and then they are stuck with a DP wishing it looked better, so they replace the ribbon, the liner, rebash the crown, etc. and waste a bunch of time, only to still not get the effect they were looking for.

Now I've said all that and I really don't have any advice for flattening the brim, because it never worked for me. Good luck though. :)
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

If you iron a brim flat. Thats what you are going to get. A flat brim.
:lol: I know I should not laugh, but it is funny! Good one John! :lol: This has to be a hatter's joke!

The big mistake I make these days is assuming everyone knows what I know! :lol: And I don't know why or how I got to be this way. I can recall well when I knew nothing about this stuff, and just put a hot iron without a cloth onto the brim. So, I have been there and done that! Once I did, I had these iron marks, and had to figure out how to get rid of those. But it was alot of fun, although I sure ruined many of my own hats at the time. But, you learn very deeply when you screw up a new hat you just bought. Perhaps that is the reason back when I was buying hats, I always bought in 3's. I guess unconsciously, I knew I was gonna ruin at least one of these hats! :lol: I have left a long trail of ruined hats over the years. :lol: I was like the shade tree mechanic, who just was compelled to mess with his motor, eventhough he did not understand the workings of that motor. I think it is the monkey still in us all. :lol:

But you can take some of the curl out of a brim, with an iron, and a cloth between your prized hat and the hot iron. You just have to do it gently, inspecting the results each time. And go cooler rather than hotter with the iron, so as to avoid mistakes. I used to have great results way back, using a steam iron to get out too much brim curl. But if the brim curl is the result of shrinkage while flanged, it might take several tries before you get enough out to suit.

If the hat is wool, I would not touch it with a ten foot pole though. Wool felt is a different animal, completely. It makes great socks and such, but for a hat, this material is not well suited for it. IMO. I run from wool felt, and if that doesn't help, I shoot it between the eyes and bury it quickly. Fedora
Restless Dreamer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Restless Dreamer »

Fedora wrote:and if that doesn't help, I shoot it between the eyes and bury it quickly
I just figured this scene in my mind. Awesome :lol:
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Restless Dreamer wrote:
Fedora wrote:and if that doesn't help, I shoot it between the eyes and bury it quickly
I just figured this scene in my mind. Awesome :lol:
I actually think kerosene and a clover encrested zippo was th best way to put a DP out of its misery.
cowboy827
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cowboy827 »

I have different but related question.

I have always believed that when you take off a hat and set it down, it should be upside down so that it's resting on the crown, in order to prevent the brim from flattening. Lately, however, I noticed that the crown of my Henry is starting to flatten a bit. It looks less round across the top of the crown. I don't get this problem with my cowboy hats, but the felt of cowboy hats is much stiffer than my Henry.

Would a little steam perk the crown back up? I generally shape my hats with steam. However, with my fedoras, once I have the shape in place, I prefer to avoid steam because I read somewhere that the steam will reactivate the shellac in the felt, making it stiffer. When it comes to a fedora, as opposed to a cowboy hat, I prefer a floppy felt. But I also want to maintain a good shape.

Any thoughts from the master hatters?
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

For the most part I don't use steam to Bash a hat. when I have a new hat or make a new hat I tell the customer to work the crease that I put in the hat until it settles. For my Raiders hat I just hang it on coat rack or leave it on it's brim. Non - Indy hats I put on a coat rack or snap the brim back up so as if it just came off the flange ( place it on a it's brim) and then snap it back when i put it on
NoodlesBubblesBeans
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Chewbacca Jones wrote:One important thing to know - is it wool felt or fur felt?
Wool
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Time for an upgrade? ;) 8)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Yep. Time to get the official leather fedora, just like the one Indy wears. :lol:
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Yep. Time to get the official leather fedora, just like the one Indy wears. :lol:
Some guy at blockbuster video told me that the Indy's Fedora is leather in the movie. :lol: I had my fur felt Fedora on and I had to tell the guy it was not leather, but fur felt. This was just before Indy IV came out. I think the guy did not believe me cause they had some leather fedoras right there at blockbuster, whether the leather was real I am not sure, probably was some faux leather. Still I find it odd, that this older gentleman thought Indy's hat was leather.

IndianaChris
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Thats not as bad as a friend thought one of my beaver hats I was wearing was leather. Almost didn't believe me when I told him and he touched the hat for himself. :roll:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Yeah, I couldn't help but make a quick joke based on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45876

So, back to the brim at hand... :Plymouth:
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Would a little steam perk the crown back up?
Yeah, the thing is, resting a soft hat on its crown does tend to flatten out the top of the crown. And you would probably have to apply just a bit of steam to the very top area only and get the flat spots out. Most times, I just hang my hats up, which seems to work the best for me. If you don't have a hat tree, a nail in the back of your closet works fine. Use a long nail though, like a 20 penny nail.

On alot of soft felt hats, resting one on its brim, makes the sides of the hat suc.k in, to a tapered state. If the hat is damp, it will dry in this tapered postion. And you will have a TOD fedora. Fedora
cowboy827
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cowboy827 »

A very nice woman asked me why I would risk ruining my suede hat by wearing it on a rainy day. She was surprised to find out the hat is made of fur felt.
NoodlesBubblesBeans
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Texan Scott wrote:Time for an upgrade? ;) 8)
Sometime soon, not sure how soon, I am getting a new Fed IV.
NoodlesBubblesBeans
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Texan Scott wrote:The Indy hat is characterized by a slightly upward curl on the back portion, and slightly curved downward in front.
I like the back of my hat very much, it looks rather good. It's the front and sides that bother me, If I could flatten the front and sides, then I would be much happier with my hat for the time being.
Last edited by NoodlesBubblesBeans on Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Can you post pics?
NoodlesBubblesBeans
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

I'll try to do that soon, sometime tonight.
NoodlesBubblesBeans
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Finally, here's the pics. Things got quite busy.
ImageImage
ImageImage
The last one is it sitting flat on the table, the brim doesn't sit flat. The first one shows the brims un-flatness (yes, it's not a word, but it is now!)
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

What happened to the photo's?
NoodlesBubblesBeans
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

THey got darker as I put them into the computer, unless you can't see the actual photo. I'll try another take another set of photos.
Last edited by NoodlesBubblesBeans on Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Yep- can't see the photos at all.
NoodlesBubblesBeans
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Now I can't see my own pics! I working on it now!
NoodlesBubblesBeans
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Here we go.
My brim snapped down way to far for me.
http://twitpic.com/1a3xg7
THis is the left side curled up, and it dips down then curls up.
http://twitpic.com/1a3xfd
This is the right side of my brim flattened out, which causes the front to bend down too far.
http://twitpic.com/1a3xht
This is my brim flat on the table.
http://twitpic.com/1a3xjt
I guess I'm actually wanting to flatten the front of my brim so the right can remain flat and not bend my brim flat in front of my face.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

What brand is it?
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

He did say it was an official indy hat... it's probably a dorfman.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Sorry, I must be getting old.

I think a flange would solve your problem. If you pay for shipping to and from. I would offer to flange the hat for free.
NoodlesBubblesBeans
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

BendingOak wrote:What brand is it?
I've had this hat for almost two years and have actually never paid attention to the brand, and I can't find the brand on the hat anywhere.
NoodlesBubblesBeans
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

BendingOak wrote:Sorry, I must be getting old.

I think a flange would solve your problem. If you pay for shipping to and from. I would offer to flange the hat for free.
What's a flange, sorry, I'm not a major hat expert. Emphasis on major.