BAD LINER STORIES

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Pyramid Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

BAD LINER STORIES

Post by Pyramid Jones »

Well the title says it all. I was just browsing around and saw there were no threads about bad liners so I am starting this one. If you have a bad liner story please post it.
Well I have a Todd's Downtowner hat and I love. Well I guess he just glues the line in, or thats how it was done on mine. Well I guess I had it for about two months and one day the line just falls right out. I didn't think nothing of it so I glued it back in. Then about two weeks went by and then it has this giant hole in the middle of the liner. Well I finally decided to go and get a new liner sewed in. Now my Downtowner is perfect.
THANKS FOR READING
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: BAD LINER STORIES

Post by Indiana Bugs »

Pyramid Jones wrote:Well the title says it all. I was just browsing around and saw there were no threads about bad liners so I am starting this one. If you have a bad liner story please post it.
Well I have a Todd's Downtowner hat and I love. Well I guess he just glues the line in, or thats how it was done on mine. Well I guess I had it for about two months and one day the line just falls right out. I didn't think nothing of it so I glued it back in. Then about two weeks went by and then it has this giant hole in the middle of the liner. Well I finally decided to go and get a new liner sewed in. Now my Downtowner is perfect.
THANKS FOR READING
Well, many hats come with their liners glued in, especially less expensive ones. Gluing is less labor-intensive than sewing. Well, Im very happy that your hat has a new, sewn in liner.
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

My Christy's comes with a glued liner which I sometimes take out (it's freakin' hot here in the Philippines). I was just careful not to damage the felt by pulling it out very carefully. When I put it back in, I just wedge it under the sweatband and it stays put... not once has it shown any signs of falling out. Actually, I'd rather have a hat where the liner isn't glued or sewn to the hat itself and just let the sweatband hold it in place.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I have no bad liner stories, except a general one. I don't like the material used in the HJs. It is too limp, which makes sewing one in, a grand pain in the bu-tocks. It has to be the cheapest liner material ever used in a hat.

I have a couple of vintage Stetsons packed up still, that came with a taffeta lining. Hope I spelled that right. I love this material. While not knowing exactly what it is. These hats came from the 50's or so. And they stopped using this material at some point. But, it was great liner material. My next fav is a real silk liner, as came in my 3 Optimos. Now, that is class there, but Optimos are classy hats. Or were when I bought mine.

While the really thick bridal satin is nice material, I don't care for it, although it is expensive. A liner can be too thick, which means less air flow. Course, in the summers, I take out my liners anyways. Much cooler to wear when the temp and humidity are both high. Fedora
HarryStreet
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by HarryStreet »

Fedora wrote:Course, in the summers, I take out my liners anyways. Much cooler to wear when the temp and humidity are both high. Fedora
Does that mean you sew them back in each time, or do you just hold them in place with the sweatband?
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

I know that Chewie has a pretty bad Liner Story from the FingerLakes get-together a while back. Not that the liner itself was bad - but what happened to it certainly was! ;)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

At least it tasted better. :lol:
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

well i have the todds up and downtowners and have not noticed anything wrong with the lines i do see where the uptowners liner is a bit tucked in the sweatband but it hasnt fallen out , but if anything happens i'll be sure to tell.
Last edited by indyclone on Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Gater wrote:I know that Chewie has a pretty bad Liner Story from the FingerLakes get-together a while back. Not that the liner itself was bad - but what happened to it certainly was! ;)
Technically, it's a bad story about a good liner, seeing as it may well have saved my hat! :tup: As it turns out, a Raiders AB is a 2-liter hat. :lol:

But in the proper vein of this thread, I have two bad liner stories. The first is more on the "dumb move" list. I bought a Dobbs milan straw hat. You know... for the summer... light, airy, etc.... and it had a full liner inside. #-o
The other is about an HJ. It had the white liner with the red "sticker" logo. Well, every time the hat got wet, or sweaty inside from wearing it, I had to make sure I did not touch the inside of the hat. The maroon color of the sticker would come right off onto my hand, head, whatever... and transfer to anything else I touched! Yick!
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

cola?
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

fenris wrote:cola?
From what I've heard, Yes :lol: Little fuzzy on whether it was regular or diet though :-k :P

Regards, Geert
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Diet Pepsi, coupled with gravity. Fortunately, Chewie ended up with a fresh new AB liner for that hat. ;)
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Does that mean you sew them back in each time, or do you just hold them in place with the sweatband?

I sew em back in. Mine have a habit of rising up past the sweat, for some reason. So, I have to attach them back to avoid this annoying thing. :lol: Fedora
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

binkmeisterRick wrote: Fortunately, Chewie ended up with a fresh new AB liner for that hat. ;)
...and a free Pizza dinner! :TOH:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

He'll do anything for a free pizza. :lol:
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

Sure - he already ate poor Shane's cake!
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

What would you doo-oo-oo... For a free pizza?

A lot of interesting things happened that night. I got to see Gater in full-intimidation mode, I discovered that watching a custom fedora get filled with ice and soda can cause the brain to completely seize up, I learned how to remove a hat liner in under 60 seconds... the list goes on. And let us not forget, there was a lady sitting beside my hat that also suffered some Pepsification.

Story for another time, but - it looks like the famous Pepsi Hat will soon be back in my possession. It involves a trade and an un-trade, very complicated.
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:And let us not forget, there was a lady sitting beside my hat that also suffered some Pepsification.
Yes, that lady was me. :TOH:

I'm pretty sure that was my Pepsi that went for a burton (diet coke=urrghh) :-0

I still have the dress but after I washed it, some of the blue from the pattern had run, and I haven't worn it since. :? I might try to rinse it in cold water to see if that helps. :-k