Brassy brown with original block

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Brassy brown with original block

Post by Fedora »

I worked this one up very fast, last year, to see what my original handmade Raiders block looked like, and to see what this color would yield. Now, personally I like this color brown. It almost looks like the hat in the light in Raiders when Indy is walking towards the river, and he hits the sunlight coming through the trees, for just a few seconds.

Some specs. My first Raiders block, from years ago. Small sized hat, as the body was small. A 6 7/8, open crown 5 inches, creased height on sides, 4 3/4. Brim width, 2 5/8 by 2 3/8. Sold it to a fan from here. (it is on its way to him in case you are wondering Garrett)

The back appears to have some taper, but no. I had used a size 6 1/4 stretcher inside the crown when I flanged the brim and it made this hat into a long oval. But, once it goes on a regular oval head, the back taper will vanish. Fedora
Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Brassy brown with original block

Post by Digger4Glory »

That hat is a great color! :clap: Is this a stock color felt of yours?
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

That hat is a great color! Is this a stock color felt of yours?

No, it was a sample felt. I wanted to change the color of the Henry. Marc sent me two samples with this being one of them. We both liked the other color better, as it was closer to Raiders, in our opinion. I don't have a pic of it though. Once we get rid of the Henry backstock, we are changing that hat's color. I personally felt the color we use now was a bit too dark, with too much red undertone. It was the only thing about the Henry that I did not care for. Of course, that color will fade over time, but still......I prefer the Henry to be a lighter brown. And we may use that color for Indy 5 if that happens. It would match what we used for Indy 4 better than the color we are using now.

Something else. If you look at that hat above, its height looks more along the lines of the Raiders fedora. Just use the ribbon as the Rosetta Stone. The front of the hat is 3 ribbon widths tall, as is the Raiders fedora. #-o Makes one wonder. Fedora
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

Beautiful as always. As you keep digging through your old hats, keep me in mind if you find a 22".

:TOH:
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

LOVE that color! :TOH:

Travis
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Its not just the color, but the crease that reminds me of that hat in Raiders too, the one where the Hovitos are chasing Indy through that field. Very nice color indeed. I can't wait to begin seeing this color on some Henrys.

Dave

p.s. That bow! Oh...my...what a bow!
sam
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sam »

Fedora wrote:

......I prefer the Henry to be a lighter brown. And we may use that color for Indy 5 if that happens. It would match what we used for Indy 4 better than the color we are using now....

. Fedora
I'm confused. Are you using a different color on the current custom Adventurebilts CS hats than was used in the film? I seem to remember where you had said you lightened those up or something for the film, and that current hats may start off darker, but would lighten up over time, and that if you sent them out in the original color they might lighten too much over time. For the film, they needed to have the aged look. Could you clarify? Thanks, my friend! I always enjoy your posts!
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

That bow! Oh...my...what a bow!
Thanks Dave. Took me a few years to finally get it decent. I am a slow learner I reckon. But, it really isn't hard at all. I just had to learn how to sew is all. Of course, I had learned to sew in the Boy Scouts, but never touched a needle until I started to make hats.

I actually learned the basics of this from Dalexs(Steve) from here. That is why I always have said the CS hat was due to COW, and its members. It's the truth. If not for this place, we would have never made the film hats, that is for sure.

Oh, this is not a color that will be used on the Henry in the future. I chose another color. This one was just too light, because we may use the Henry body for Indy 5, if that ever happens. We will send in one as a sample, if the run from Winchester is too dark for Indy 5. The color that I did choose is pretty close to the HJ sable color. A bit darker, but much lighter than the current Henry color.
I'm confused. Are you using a different color on the current custom Adventurebilts CS hats than was used in the film? I seem to remember where you had said you lightened those up or something for the film, and that current hats may start off darker, but would lighten up over time, and that if you sent them out in the original color they might lighten too much over time. For the film, they needed to have the aged look. Could you clarify? Thanks, my friend! I always enjoy your posts!
Fedora wrote:

......I prefer the Henry to be a lighter brown. And we may use that color for Indy 5 if that happens. It would match what we used for Indy 4 better than the color we are using now....

. Fedora

Oh no. All of the CS fedoras that I make use the pure beaver bodies in the same color as the film hats. Although from one run of felt to another there may be slight differences. That is the nature of the beast.

If Indy 5 happens, we are considering trying to use the Henry, but with a reblock to the CS blockshape. But only because is is very hard to fill orders with handmade hats. Takes too long to make them, and the Indy films create a demand that is hard to handle. Just look at our lead times!!!! We don't want to ever get in this predictament ever again. We learned a valuable lesson with this Indy 4 deal.

In order to even be considered, the Henry, I knew we had to change its color to match the CS fedora more. And that is what we will do, once the backstock sells out. Marc is gonna kill me for even saying this. We sure don't want 60 hats to just sit in inventory, that we can't sell. Can't afford it!

I have not posted a pic of the new Henry color. But, trust me, it is a vast improvement, over what we use now. Quite a bit lighter, and I got rid of the "too red" undertone. Now, the fedora when Indy faces off Belloq shows a reddish undertone, but I just don't see that in most of the other Raider fedoras. Plus the CS hat did not have this deep red undertone. Hope that clears it up. Fedora
Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Digger4Glory »

Fedora wrote:

Something else. If you look at that hat above, its height looks more along the lines of the Raiders fedora. Just use the ribbon as the Rosetta Stone. The front of the hat is 3 ribbon widths tall, as is the Raiders fedora. #-o Makes one wonder. Fedora
Sometimes pics can throw you and trick your eyes. Using the ribbon as a gauge to scale the crown is a good idea, especially if we had confirmation on the exact size ribbon used for the first three films. :-k
sam
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sam »

That clears it up! Thanks, Steve! I sure do look forward to my CS, and it looks like it'll get more use do to my recent move. I think I'll be in the great outdoors more! You mentioned your lead times...thanks again for all the hard work you do, my friend. As I've said before, we love your hats, but we love you as our friend more, so please don't feel too much pressure from those of us who wait. You're only one man, and everybody needs a break from time to time. I love your work ethic, and I know the hat will be worth the wait! Sure hope Indy V happens!