Shorty, where's my razor?!

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Shorty, where's my razor?!

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Maybe this is what you're looking for, Doctor Jones...

I was in an antique store the other week and came across a nice find:

I use a shaving brush and soap as is, but I found a NOS badger shaving brush in box, as well as three vintage Gillette safety razors from the '40s and '50s. The razor in the box is a classic design that Indy could have used in the TOD timeframe. I cleaned them up and just need to get some blades. Then, I learn the art of shaving with a safety razor! Oh, all told, I spent a whopping $20.14 for the lot. ;)
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Shorty, where's my razor?!

Post by Mountaineer »

Excellent find Bink!

My wife got me one of these old Gillettes (exactly like the one pictured in the case) which came in an old Hoffritz steel case with extra blade holders and a blue velvet lining similar to yours prior to my 2002 trip to the Great Southwest Asia sandbox and I love that razor.

On the last day of one of our many field problems, I shaved at the front of a M577 and packed up the rest of my shave kit and miscellaneous gear for the return to our tent-city base. After getting the vehicles back and then getting back to my tent, I racked out, exhausted after a week and a half of the Kuwaiti desert summer working day and night in my track. The next morning I got up and started the daily routine, reached in the shave kit to get my case, opened it and...no ...razor. I had misplaced the razor somewhere in the sands of Kuwait. (At this point I knew why I thought something wasn't "right" the day before when I packed up everything.) I pleaded my case to my boss about being sentimental about it since it was a birthday/pre-deployment gift from my wife and he gave me permission to get a driver and go out of the perimeter. We went back with his HMMWV (Humvee), a PLGR (GPS) and the grid coordinates to our last position where I had shaved the day before. Hopes weren't too high, but it was worth a shot.

We looked for about 15 minutes with no luck and I was about to resign myself that I had lost a cool gift from my wife, but I decided to give the sand one last comb-over with my foot. Not two swipes and less than 10 feet from the left rear tire of the vehicle my foot bounced over something hard under a mound of sand. I stopped, looked at the driver and grinned. I bent over, dusted off the top layer of sand and there was silver. I started laughing as I pulled out my razor and saw the look of amazement on the driver's face. He said, "Sir, I saw it, and I don't believe it. How the h--- you found that in this (insert derogatory geographical reference here) I'll never know!"

So we go back and the first guy waiting to meet me was my boss, who thought I had gone on a fool's errand. He said, "Didn't find it did ya?" and all I did was show the razor and grin. (I had palmed it knowing he'd be there to razz me about not finding it, and had on my best glum look.) He lost it laughing.

I used that long story to tell you that you have a great find there yourself. Well worth more than what you paid.

Just invest in good blades, use the wrist while shaving and glide the blade; you won't need to muscle the razor, and prepare yourself for some of the best shaves you'll have.
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

I used to have one of those. In fact, it was my first razor. Wish I knew where it went.

Shorty!!!! :x

Weston
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Wow Bink, so funny you should post this. I just picked up my first brush (boar) and soap (Williams) today. I shaved with it using a Gillette Turbo (I know, blasphemy), but until I get a safety razor, it'll have to do. I'm thinking of hitting up a nice antiques store nearby to get a decent shaving mug and safety razor.

However, I'm worried that since I have to do my whole head, I'm going to wreak havoc on my bald scalp with that thing.

Anyway, very very nice find. I'm looking forward to perfecting the art of the wet shave!
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Sweet find Bink! :clap: The safety razor with the red tipped handle is an exact ringer for the one my Pop has used since at least 1950 when he went into the Army.

Cheers! :TOH:

Dan
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Tundrarider wrote: Just curious, what does the little certificate certify? :-k
It's a certificate from the Royal Institute of Public Health and Hygiene stating the quality, etc., of the brush. The brush was made in London, England. I've been watching some great tutorials, etc., on youtube regarding the use of safety razors. If you're used to modern disposable or track razors, you have some deprogramming to do or you're likely to hack your face off with the safety!

maboot, they do make specialty razors specifically for shaving your dome. Look at http://www.headblade.com. They look crazy, but they apparently work wonders! Here are some great sites for shaving info and products like www.badgerandblade.com and www.classicshaving.com.

Mountaineer, that's a great story! I'm glad you found it! I have several friends in the service who take their trusty safety razors with them overseas. The nice thing about these razors is that most were nicely made quality instruments, so it doesn't take much to clean them up and get them serviceable again.

I'm a fan of classic, utilitarian things (fountain pens, watches, etc.) that are so well designed that they are still just as useable today as they were when brand new. It's also nice to have as part of my "historical Indy" gear, meaning I like things Indy would have used in real life. The above razors pretty much cover Indy from Raiders all the way up to Crystal Skull! ;)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I've used mug and brush all my life, being taught how by my Dad when I started. As a matter of fact, I'm still using his old 'Old Spice' mug from the 1940's.

When feeling 'nostalgic', I use a single edge 'safety' razor from 1917....but this is one of those items that nostalgia only goes so far with me. There's a reason they kept upgrading shaving equipment...and that was to help keep sleepy men from cutting their own throats early in the morning.

Great grouping there, Bink. You can still find double edge replacement blades for your handles at any Wal-Green or CVS stores.

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Michaelson wrote: Great grouping there, Bink. You can still find double edge replacement blades for your handles at any Wal-Green or CVS stores.
Thanks, Michaelson! That's what I hear regarding blades, but I'll be danged if I can find any in the local CVS or drug stores. :? There are plenty of places to order them online, though.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

You're kidding? I was looking for blades last night and saw them at Wal-Mart. They're out there. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

There's no Walmart near me, but I've checked several CVS stores and all I can find are blades for track razors, but no double blades. I haven't exhausted my local search yet, though. I suppose I could always use the old blade that was in one of the holders when I got it... NOT! :lol:
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

binkmeisterRick wrote:There's no Walmart near me, but I've checked several CVS stores and all I can find are blades for track razors, but no double blades. I haven't exhausted my local search yet, though. I suppose I could always use the old blade that was in one of the holders when I got it... NOT! :lol:
Ew, antique man cooties. Gross.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

They sure don't make cooties like they used to! :lol: The razor handles have been thoroughly cleaned and sterilized, including a five minute boiling bath as a final touch. Once I get new and unused blades, they're good to go!
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

binkmeisterRick wrote:They sure don't make cooties like they used to! :lol: The razor handles have been thoroughly cleaned and sterilized, including a five minute boiling bath as a final touch. Once I get new and unused blades, they're good to go!
Well, for lunch today, I'm heading out to the local antiques store to see if I can grab some accessories that may be Indyesque for shaving kits. Anything you interested in me looking out for? I know for a fact they have blades there.
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

We all know the real reason Shorty took Indy's razor...because no self respecting adventurer is going out lookin' clean shaven!
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

maboot38 wrote: Well, for lunch today, I'm heading out to the local antiques store to see if I can grab some accessories that may be Indyesque for shaving kits. Anything you interested in me looking out for? I know for a fact they have blades there.
If you're looking for shaving kits, keep an eye out for badger brushes (as opposed to boar hair, if it's labeled), shaving mugs, brush and razor stands, and razors like the ones I posted above. You may be able to come across a travel razor. Keep in mind that I literally paid just a dollar or two for each razor, so there's no need to spend $30 for an antique razor. At that price, you may as well buy a new razor from one of the sites I listed above. As for the blades themselves, you're best off buying new and fresh blades as opposed to antique ones, even if they're still in the packaging.

If you find a good razor and blades, watch some tutorials first BEFORE attempting a shave! The technique is different and if you just "have at it," you may slash your face!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yep, times and techniques have definitely changed. :M:

These days our blades conform to the shape of our faces.

Back THEN you conformed your face to the shape of the blade as well as direction of stroke, or lost whatever got in its way! #-o :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

:anxious:

I think it's funny how there are now razors which have up to five blades in a row and vibrate as you shave. That's a bit excessive, I think, never mind I'm far more afraid of doing harm with something like that than with a straight razor! I've also had more trouble with a "conforming" blade than with a straight blade. The disposables I currently use don't swivel or bend. I think it comes down to the individual as to what kind of razor gives him the best shave. Me, I can't help at least wanting to try something new, or in this case, old. ;)
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

Could you imagine what someone from the 'old days' would say if you went back in time and showed them one of the most modern 'vibrating' quad-blade razers? :shock:
I own one of those fancy razers, not sure if it REALLY does what it claims to do, but it feels good to shave with. I have sensitive skin though and almost always nick myself unless I shave RIGHT when I get out of the shower. I may invest in a fogless mirror to mount in my shower and just shave in there.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

generalFROSTY wrote:Could you imagine what someone from the 'old days' would say if you went back in time and showed them one of the most modern 'vibrating' quad-blade razers? :shock:
There was an old parody commercial which came out (maybe on SNL) after the dual blade razor was introduced which touted a 5 blade razor. It's more poignant that funny now! :lol:
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

What's next? :-k
I remember in Star Trek Insurrection, Troi was shaving Riker with a not-so-futuristic razer. I had always imagined futuristic 'razers' actually being a lazer beam conducted between two prongs - and would cut only hair and not burn the skin...kinda like a lightsaber for your face.
"I see you have constructed a new lightrazer. Your grooming is now complete!" \:D/
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Well, whatever you do, be sure to always purchase sterilized blades when you can for these old razors.

One of the biggest problems folks had with these were from septic infection when they knicked themselves with a non-sterilized/unwrapped blade. That's why Gillette became as big as they did, as they sold 'safety razors' with individually wrapped double edged blades. The 'safety' part was not only regarding not cutting yourself, but not infecting a cut with a dirty overused blade.

(An example and right on target for our crew: Lord Canarvon, financier of the King Tut Expedition died an agonizing death from septic shock/blood poisoning after nicking an infected mosquito bite with a dirty straight edge razor! There were no antibiotics that could fight such a raging infection in Egypt at the time of his death. :( )

This was also carried over in barbershops and shaving mugs before the introduction of the safety blade systems in the late 1800's.

Many shops kept a mug for each of their customers who came in for a shave. This was to keep from having cross contamination from other men's shaving nicks being carried over to another from a reused mug/brush combination. Ironically, they got most of it right, as each man had his own mug at the shop....but the barber used the same brush on every man. :lol:

Those old personalized shaving mugs are a collector field all to itself. Most men had their name and craft placed on their personal barbershop mug, and they now sell for hundreds of dollars, depending on what craft or profession is shown on the mug.......anyway, I digress, as usual :roll: ....

Even new blades today are sold in containers that separate each blade from each other. There's a method to the madness.....so don't take chances with old blade material.

The handles are fine....it's the blades that can give you problems if you don't use clean stuff.

Just a word to the wise.

Regards !Michaelson
HarryStreet
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by HarryStreet »

Might be a bit OT, not sure if it should go in another razor thread as posted by VP...

It is often claimed that Secret of the Incas w/Charleton Heston is an influence on the Indiana Jones movies.

There is a scene where Heston's character arrives at Machu Picchu, he gets a chance to clean up or "scrape myself off". While doing so he shaves with a safety razor, disassembles it, dries the blade, and then puts it all away. It's about 55 minutes into the film.

You can find the clip on YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSU2v6Kl9U8, it is at the 5m10s mark.

(Mods, feel free to edit and move to whatever you deem the right place.)
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

Here's mine as it looked when I got it as NOS in 1971. Still going strong, though there seem to be periods when no-one carries the blades - I stock up whenever I find them.

LJ

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I'm a Schick man myself, but finding their refills has become next to impossible in my area now. :(

Regard! Michaelson
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Awesome thread! I recently got into "vintage" shaving, with a DE razor, badger bristle brush and sandle wood soap in a wooden bowl. I'll never switch back, the shave is unequaled and the procedure is meditative as you channel the shaving practices of your Grandpa, Teddy Roosevelt, and our favorite adventurer(on occasion ;) ). The problem is I always do every thing whole hog. One week I get a DE razor, soap and brush, the next I'm making my own Bay Rum (just like sailors used to!) Oh well, the obsessive mind of a gearhead is not an easy thing to deal with... :TOH:

Travis
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Michaelson wrote: Even new blades today are sold in containers that separate each blade from each other. There's a method to the madness.....so don't take chances with old blade material.
I just found some generic drug store blades, but they are not individually wrapped. Instead, they are stacked upon each other. Should they be avoided?
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

For anybody that may be interested in that recipe for homemade Bay rum, here she goes

Bay Rum Aftershave

* 4 Ounces Vodka
* 2 Tablespoons Jamaican Rum
* 2 Dried Bay Leaves (Don’t use the bay leaf they sell at the grocery store. While it’s good for soups, it’s not good for bay rum. Make sure to use Pimenta racemosa, sometimes available at natural food stores)
* 1/4 Teaspoon Allspice
* 1 Stick of Cinnamon, broken in pieces
* Fresh Zest from a Small Orange

Combine all ingredients in a container such as a bottle or mason jar with a tightly fitting lid. Put the closed container in a dark, cool place (not in the refrigerator) for two weeks. This allows the alcohol to extract the essential oils from the bay leaves. After two weeks, strain the mixture through several layers of coffee filters. If necessary, repeat until no residue remains. Put in a nice bottle and splash on face after shaving.

I know nobody asked, but this stuff smells old school good. And there ain't no school like the old school!

Travis
hocfutue
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by hocfutue »

DE and Schick Injector replacement blades are regionally hit-or-miss. Some towns they are at every supermarket/drug store/Target/etc. Others, there's nary a blade to be found for 5 counties. They are most commonly found when you AREN'T looking to buy any.

Your local drugstore should certainly be able to order a batch for you. Or, you can order them through Amazon, like I do. Admittedly, I have their Prime card, and get free 2-day shipping, so they are kind of my go-to for online shopping for all kinds of stuff.

If you haven't checked this site out already, take a peek over at http://artofmanliness.com/ Lots of good info in the Dress & Grooming section on wet shaving gear and techniques.
Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Digger4Glory »

Michaelson wrote:Well, whatever you do, be sure to always purchase sterilized blades when you can for these old razors.

One of the biggest problems folks had with these were from septic infection when they knicked themselves with a non-sterilized/unwrapped blade. That's why Gillette became as big as they did, as they sold 'safety razors' with individually wrapped double edged blades. The 'safety' part was not only regarding not cutting yourself, but not infecting a cut with a dirty overused blade.

(An example and right on target for our crew: Lord Canarvon, financier of the King Tut Expedition died an agonizing death from septic shock/blood poisoning after nicking an infected mosquito bite with a dirty straight edge razor! There were no antibiotics that could fight such a raging infection in Egypt at the time of his death. :( )

This was also carried over in barbershops and shaving mugs before the introduction of the safety blade systems in the late 1800's.

Many shops kept a mug for each of their customers who came in for a shave. This was to keep from having cross contamination from other men's shaving nicks being carried over to another from a reused mug/brush combination. Ironically, they got most of it right, as each man had his own mug at the shop....but the barber used the same brush on every man. :lol:

Those old personalized shaving mugs are a collector field all to itself. Most men had their name and craft placed on their personal barbershop mug, and they now sell for hundreds of dollars, depending on what craft or profession is shown on the mug.......anyway, I digress, as usual :roll: ....

Even new blades today are sold in containers that separate each blade from each other. There's a method to the madness.....so don't take chances with old blade material.

The handles are fine....it's the blades that can give you problems if you don't use clean stuff.

Just a word to the wise.

Regards !Michaelson
Wow, I never knew about this. Many thanks for sharing this information. One of the things I love about this site, is that it's so informative! :TOH: Very happy I joined this site! :H:
rover smith
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by rover smith »

Hollowpond wrote:* 4 Ounces Vodka
* 2 Tablespoons Jamaican Rum
* 2 Dried Bay Leaves (Don’t use the bay leaf they sell at the grocery store. While it’s good for soups, it’s not good for bay rum. Make sure to use Pimenta racemosa, sometimes available at natural food stores)
* 1/4 Teaspoon Allspice
* 1 Stick of Cinnamon, broken in pieces
* Fresh Zest from a Small Orange

Sounds like a good night out.

Enjoying this thread, I recently "upgraded" to one of those modern multiblade vibrating numbers after loosing my old one (given to me by my father for my first shave). I'm just not getting good results with this new one. I'll be keeping an eye out for a safety I think.

:TOH:
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Bink,

Those plastic cases with the blades stacked on to one another are about all you will find at the Mega-marts. They work fine.

I've used those type of blades exclusively since 2002 and no problems so far. Online, at the specialty shave shops, is about the only luck I've found with purchasing individually wrapped blades. Then the cost scares me away.

If you wash the razor daily you should be good to go, through the course of shaving you will be performing this action anyway. If you want to be doubly sure, give it a soak in rubbing alcohol every now and then and you'll be more than fine.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Dang you, Bink! It's not the IndyGear that's doing this :BD:

It's the "extras" like luggage and shavers that get brought up that put me over the edge.

And, yes, you said you found the razors for only a few dollars a piece, so in themselves they aren't expensive, but still...

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Well... I gave it a shot this morning and used a safety razor! I took my time and used the techniques I've learned about through various tutorials. Apart from a very minor amount of razor burn (since I don't have any good after shave oil yet) I managed to get a pretty good shave! And no cuts or nicks, either! \:D/
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

binkmeisterRick wrote:
Michaelson wrote: Even new blades today are sold in containers that separate each blade from each other. There's a method to the madness.....so don't take chances with old blade material.
I just found some generic drug store blades, but they are not individually wrapped. Instead, they are stacked upon each other. Should they be avoided?
No. If you look closely, you'll see they still have a bit of space between each blade, so they're fine...especially if you found them around the shaving supplies.
I totally agree with Mountaineer's recommendations too. :M: :tup:

Just a sidebar, if I may.....don't let anyone tell you one shaving mug soap is like another. It's not true. There are as many types and grades of soaps out there as there are razors, iso t's well worth exploring and experimenting.

My personal favorite that I received as a gift from my sister when she visited London last year was an Arlington shaving bowl from the Dr. Harris and co. They've been around since the 1700's, by appointment to the Royal House for centuries, and I'll have to say some of the best shaving soap I've ever used. I have no clue what they use as ingredients, but when ever I need a REALLY smooth shave, that's the one I reach for.

To repeat, if you're serious about using mug and brush on a regular basis, do some research and experimentation. There's a lot of good (and bad) stuff out there. Find what works best for you and your face.

Regards! Michaelson
Mr. Fusion 1138
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Mr. Fusion 1138 »

Nice find indeed. That's really cool. I've never come across anything like that before. I do have my grandfather's straight razor from WWII when he was in the Navy.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Michaelson wrote: Just a sidebar, if I may.....don't let anyone tell you one shaving mug soap is like another. It's not true. There are as many types and grades of soaps out there as there are razors, iso t's well worth exploring and experimenting.
I first started using the Williams soap since it was available in every drugstore you can imagine. Over the past year or so I've been using the Caswell-Massey 1752 Sandalwood Shaving Soap. But yes, trying out different soaps and the like is a good idea. The disposable razors I used had an aloe strip above the blades which I liked. I may look for something similar in the soap or after shave department.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Michaelson wrote: Just a sidebar, if I may.....don't let anyone tell you one shaving mug soap is like another. It's not true. There are as many types and grades of soaps out there as there are razors, iso t's well worth exploring and experimenting.

My personal favorite that I received as a gift from my sister when she visited London last year was an Arlington shaving bowl from the Dr. Harris and co. They've been around since the 1700's, by appointment to the Royal House for centuries, and I'll have to say some of the best shaving soap I've ever used. I have no clue what they use as ingredients, but when ever I need a REALLY smooth shave, that's the one I reach for.

To repeat, if you're serious about using mug and brush on a regular basis, do some research and experimentation. There's a lot of good (and bad) stuff out there. Find what works best for you and your face.

Regards! Michaelson
That's great advice Michaelson. Each soap is different. Right now I'm into Williams soap, but of course that may change down the road. I like the williams because it smells great, it has a nice lip on it so you can leave hot water on it and let is soak into the soap for a while, and best of all, it is NOT expensive at all.

http://www.williamsmugsoap.com/

Plus, that simple white box has a very old-timey feel to it.
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

In my undergraduate days I was a straight-edge shaving man - and I loved the shaving soaps that I used too. I never got as close a shave as I did with that straight-edge. Scary to use at first, but great once you got the knack.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

I'm really liking on the Dovo straight razors from Straight Razor Designs:
http://www.straightrazordesigns.com/ind ... cts_id=396

I think I"m gonna grab one of these beauties.

Here's a question, when Indy as asking shorty where his razor was, was he talking about a straight razor or a double edge safety razor?
JulianK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JulianK »

Man, there's a real art to shaving with a straight razor and even I don't have the guts for that yet. Although I did get myself a Merkur 34C for Christmas and I love it! Shaving with this thing is a completely different experience!!! I actually find that I enjoy shaving so much more now, even if I still have a lot more practice to do before I perfect my technique.

Here are some of my sources for info and stuff...

http://www.fendrihan.com/merkur-razors- ... =2&sort=2a
http://www.theshaveden.com/
http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/conk/index.html
http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com/
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

A Merkur!!!????

That's a Nazi razor!!!

Just kidding. Those are very nice indeed.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Personally, I'd say Indy packed a straight razor. It quickly doubles as a weapon should 'push come to shove', but that's just my opinion again. ;)

As to you guys who use straight razors, you have my admiration. :notworthy:

The worse shaving cut I ever experienced in my life was attempting to shave with one. All I did was slightly roll the blade to a slightly different angle on my chin, and you would have thought I had tried to cut my throat! I thought I was going to bleed to death before I got it stopped, it was such a clean cut.

So, I have had one as a 'collectable' over the years, but never tried it again. Once burnt, twice shy, and I need all the blood I can keep. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

maboot38 wrote: Here's a question, when Indy as asking shorty where his razor was, was he talking about a straight razor or a double edge safety razor?
I think that he would've carried a safety razor. Blades would've been easy to find and there wouldn't be a need to carry a strop on your person. A straight razor requires cleaning and maintenance, while cleaning and swapping out blades on a safety is easy. They were also issued to the military, so with his service record, he would've carried one, anyway. Referring to HarryStreet's Secret of the Incas clip above, a safety razor would be easy to carry in your kit.

I see your point about the straight razor, though, Michaelson! Equal parts hygiene and weapon! :lol: I have my great grandfather's straight razor, but I'm not planing on giving it a go! =; :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Well, I know from personal family history that it was one of the favorite 'backup' weapons carried in the top of ones boot if you got separated from your revolver for any number of reasons. 8)

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Although I'm sure a revolver could take off some of your beard if you lost your razor, too! :[
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Can't be anymore dangerous than of these:

Trust me, I took an entire PIECE off my head with this thing!

I think the straight razor is an excercise in patience, and forces you to focus on the task at hand. If you make your shave a sort of ritual, it allows for you to take time for yourself and you'll find it relaxes you. Warming your face, making the lather, compartmentalizing your face (and head) and developing a methodology...these are the things that straight razor users claim makes the experience enjoyable.

When is the last time someone actually looked forward to spraying shave gel on their face and scraping over it with a Bic? I personally look forward to my shave time. Maybe this was how men back in the day "pampered" themselves without getting called out on it. :)
hocfutue
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by hocfutue »

The Derby brand razor blades I currently use are in the plastic dispenser, AND are individually wrapped.

It's a handy extra touch. I've had water get into the plastic dispenser with other brands and had some rust problems.
HarryStreet
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by HarryStreet »

I use the Merkur brand DE razor blades. Individually wrapped, small white plastic dispenser, sharp, clean edges.

I also used the Headblade thing when I was deployed in Iraq to keep my scalp shaved close. Takes a couple of times to get the hang of it, but it works well enough. Still need a regular razor to clean up behind the ears, and other tight spots, and you can't use it shave your face if you have any kind of decent facial hair.

I agree, the use of brush and shaving cream is a wonderful ritual. Also, if you have the time, the indulgence of pre-shave oil gives a wonderfully close finish. It was so much appreciated that my girlfriend bought me extra bottles of pre-shave oil when she figured out the difference, since I did not always use it, citing too much expense.

In fact, I should probably go get showered, shaved and dressed right now, instead of idling my time away at COW :oops:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

HarryStreet wrote:In fact, I should probably go get showered, shaved and dressed right now, instead of idling my time away at COW :oops:

".....idling your time away at COW"? :-s

ABSOLUTELY not, especially when you're adding to this body of knowledge! :TOH:

Regard! Michaelson