New Magnoli shirt and pants review

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

New Magnoli shirt and pants review

Post by knibs7 »

I got another shirt and another pair of pants from Magnoli and well, I'm not sure what to make of them. I ordered the shirt in light khaki, but the shirt I received looks incredibly green. Is it just my eyes? I also got a pair of the wool blend pants in camel and they look fantastic in color, but I'm not sure what's going on with the back stitching above the pockets. Keep in mind that I am not bashing Magnoli at all. I have ordered MANY things from him in the past and he has provided me with nothing but superb quality. I am merely trying to get other people's opinions.

Kyle
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: New Magnoli shirt and pants review

Post by TheExit148 »

Hey Kyle, I have received a light khaki shirt as well, and it has a green tint to it. Some lights you can't see it, others you can. Its that strange light/fabric colour thing again.
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

My pants have the same type of stitching in the back as well. :-k
wembley
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by wembley »

[quote="knibs7"].... the shirt I received looks incredibly green. Is it just my eyes? I

I'd say that was.....green...if that's how it looks in life then it wouldn't pass for an Indy shirt.

If I was sent that as an Indy shirt, I'd send it back.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Here is a better shot in different light. The first "green" picture is how it looks in certain light and the second picture does look more khaki, but still shows a greenish tone :-k

Kyle
TenuredProfessor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by TenuredProfessor »

Whoa, looks like two different shirts! And I hear ya on the pants....great color..although one never can tell with lighting variances...But the diagonal stitching does seem off. Perfect color for LC, at least in that shot. I was going to order one of his shirts, but that green scares me....Think I'll stick with my AB shirt :D
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Here are a pair of original pants showing the diagonal rear dart:

The exact position of the dart can vary due to the construction of different sizes.

Kind regards,
Magnoli
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Ok thanks Magnoli. Does anyone know if I could take the diagonal stitching out? Would it hurt the pants in any way? Also, would it be possible to perhaps dye my shirt to be lighter? If so, any suggestions?

Kyle
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bartram »

Kyle,
Why do you want to take the stitching out?
That's part of what makes them Indy pants right?

BTW, the color is great! VERY KotCS.

Best,
B
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Bartram wrote:Kyle,
Why do you want to take the stitching out?
That's part of what makes them Indy pants right?

BTW, the color is great! VERY KotCS.

Best,
B
Because the reason I got them in this color was FOR my CS pants :TOH: and the CS pants didn't have the stitching.

Kyle
sam
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sam »

If you check on pg 150 of the photographic journal of CS, you can see the stitching used for CS. It appears to be slightly different than the other movies. Hope that is helpful. This is not to detract from Mag at all. Some day I hope to order this combo from him! Plus, knowing Mag's rep, and the way he has sought to offer CS gear, he may offer a CS pattern pants sometime in the future. It's pretty amazing the range he offers!
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

Don't get me wrong, the colour of the light khaki is nice, and depending on the light it gives you the proper colour to what is seen on screen IMO. For the SA just add some dirt and dust and your set. You can never go wrong with Magnoli's custom shirts, because they are made for you.

I'm sure Kyle, you'll be able to work your magic and make these pieces perfect CS. :tup:
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

One shoudl keep in mind that green is an element of true khaki. You asked for light khaki, and you got it. Probably not the right color for CS, but maybe a bit better for Raiders or ToD?
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Sam, I saw that in the Photo journal too. Good call! TheExit148, thanks for the kind words. You obviously know how hard I work to make things 100% SA. :TOH:

I really do need suggestions on dyeing the shirt though because out of 4 people I asked which color it looked like, they all said "Green... I didn't think Indy's shirt was green."

Kyle
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

i'm rather green colorblind so I can't really comment much about the color, but could it have been a fault with magnoli's people or is that how they all are suddenly?
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Mag said that they have a green tone, but my shirt is REALLY green

Kyle
Indiana Jake
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Seated in a Pan Am Sea Plane, flying over a map of Glendale, CA

Post by Indiana Jake »

Kyle,

You appear to be one of the first owners of newer Indy pants that are based on the Noel Howard Pants I had Magnoli recently make for me. I noticed the lack of waistband right away. I'm thrilled to have a pair of these, and I'm quite impressed with the changes he made. (Thanks Magnoli!)

www.indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=43711 Follow this thread and see what I ordered from him. If there are no pics, be patient - Photobucket was down when I posted this. If they do not come through, I will reload images.

As far as the shirt color goes, Here is a suggestion. Order a white cotton shirt with stone colored thread and buttons. Then dye it yourself to the color you like, and get it just the way you want. The thread used in most shirts has a polyester content, and will not accept dye easily. I spoke with Magnoli regarding this type of order, and he was agreeable. However at this point in my collecting I have sampled almost everyone's Indy shirt, and am having difficulty justifying ordering another shirt.

Indiana Jake
Last edited by Indiana Jake on Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

The dart over the pocket is part of the tailoring and really shouldn't be removed. You can make pants with no dart, though this is a bit tricky, usually pants will at least have vertical darts.

I still think the light khaki is a good match for the CS shirt. Many of the stills I've seen of the new costume give the shirt a much khakier look than the previous three, which to me looked more stone. Though some have recommended the light khaki as a suitable Last Crusade color as well. The color debate may never end... #-o

Kind regards,
Magnoli
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

To complicate the color issue, here are some shots of our Adventure Shirt in light khaki:

I tried to get the green to show through, but no matter what I did, the shirt still photographed very similar to our stone, which makes me think even more that the CS shirt was very close to this color. So, then I tried to photograph the light khaki and the stone together, but this just made the stone shirt look more pink!

Here is an attempt at color correcting the above photo to emphasize the "green-ness" of the light khaki compared to the duller tone of the stone:

And here are some more photos showing these shirts in different colors:

Phew.

Kind regards,
Magnoli
rover smith
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by rover smith »

Very strange how its shifting colour so dramatically. :-k

In Knibs first pic of the shirt it looks similar to the desert grey in Magnolis post. maybe a mix up with fabric?

:TOH:
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Nothing is shifting colors! You would think by now folks would stop using photographs to compare colors. It just doesn't work. You might as well as a blind man to compare two colors. The only way you can accurately compare colors on fabrics is to see them both together in person with your own eyes. The way your eyes percieve the spectrum of visible light reflected and refracted off and through materials varies from individual to individual, from camera to camera, from computer monitor to computer monitor.

Now, you are further trying to use these photographs to compare to a film that has been filmed, edited, post produced (mastered), etc. Often the finished color bears little similarity to the way it appeared on set.

Or, to put it another way, you're "digging in the wrong place."
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

I have to say I still like the stone color. It is pinker than I thought especially when next to the khaki.
Knibs, I have to say that I agree with Magnoli and Jake about the diagonal darts. They are SA. However, as you have eloquently showed us with you terrific jacket- we should not be afraid to personalize our gear....They are nice pieces though.

Mag, kudos on the modifications to the pants. They look great, is there any possibility on a darker color on the horizon. Everybody talks about them being darker...I dunno...
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

whipcracker wrote:...is there any possibility on a darker color on the horizon. Everybody talks about them being darker...I dunno...
You can almost count on it... ;)

Kind regards,
Indy
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

GREAT reference material here, Indy... Thank you.
:)
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Looking at the originals and at the ones posted a the top of the thread, it looks like the dart has a different angle and also cuts through behind the belt loop on the Magnoli's. This may be partly what is causing the dart to look a little odd.

To see the angle imagine a vertical line about 1.5" either side of the button and draw a diagonal line between them from the top of the belt to the level of the button.

Mags start too close to the button and the angle is too shallow so they end too far towards the edge of the flap. The belt loops are also (pretty much) centred on the button, where they are slightly to the side on the screen used ones.

This may be more an artifact of the size of the pants than a pattern thing.

OOPs I notice that Tony said exactly the same about sizing. Sorry Tony.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Maybe you got the wrong color? It happened to me twice! I wish I knew what color my second one was, because I love it and want another someday. It's not Stone, that's for sure, and is very close to my NH Raiders shirt.
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

I have to say that 'light tan' looks great, I might need to pick up one of those...
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bartram »

Photoss wrote:I have to say that 'light tan' looks great, I might need to pick up one of those...
+1
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

UPDATE: For some reason (maybe dry cleaners) the shirt doesn't look as green as I showed before. Now, the only thing wrong with it is that i ordered a size too small ](*,)

So for the record, I still HIGHLY recommend Magnoli's adventure shirt and pants :)

Kyle
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

Any outside pics with the shirt and pants together?