Nowak LC in 747 cow?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Raskolnikov
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Nowak LC in 747 cow?

Post by Raskolnikov »

I am thinking about ordering Tony a new jacket this summer. It may be a new Raiders or a LC. If it’s a Raiders, it will surely be in shrunken lamb. But if I decide to go for a LC I am thinking about chosing the 747, instead of CS cow. I've seen some distressed surrogates jackets that really do the part and I think that the LC distressing would suit this leather too.
What do you think about that last choice? Anyone having a 747 jacket (no matter what style), do you think that this hide would do a nice LC?

Thanks,
Rask
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Nowak LC in 747 cow?

Post by Hatch »

Tony does a fabulous job with distressing, he made me a great 'Surrogate' replica with distressing that looked like it was pulled off Willis's back....(it's just different shade but same leather as 747), more pics on the FJ site.....would just ask Tony's ideas.....it would be a great looking jacket IMO, but I'll defer to Tony, the master......
Raskolnikov
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Raskolnikov »

Thanks Hatch. Of course, before ordering I will ask big Tony for advise. Just wanted to know what you guys thought about this too.
I saw the pictures in FJ. Your beautiful jacket was precisely the reason to make me think about this.

Regards,
Rask
Last edited by Raskolnikov on Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I know that Tony thinks the dark CS cowhide makes the best LC (the reason I got mine in that hide ;) ). I have a Raiders in 747 and absolutely love the hide. It's my favorite of any I've owned. So you will be very pleased with the hide, I'd almost guarantee you. However, I don't know how well it will look like the movie LC as the 747 has more grain. However, it would be a terrific jacket and being happy with your jacket is the main thing, not SA necessarily.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

I'd also defer to Tony on the hide and how it will distress, but another hide you might consider for this is the 'Happy Cow'
Raskolnikov
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Raskolnikov »

Oh yes, like orb's TOD jacket... That sounds pretty good too. I didn't think about it before.
Crismans, you are right: I noticed the grain too and, as you say, the LC jacket has a much smoother surface. I love the grainy hides, but maybe that's not the best choice for a LC (although it would do a great looking jacket too, so who knows...).
Anyway, I think I'm gonna focus my attention on that happy cow...

Thanks a lot, guys.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I think the 747 would make a great looking LC but not very LC so you would need to decide how important that was to you. I've got a swatch of Happy Cow (not as good as making a determination as RC has a ToD made from it) but I agree that it would make a good LC as well.
Raskolnikov
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Raskolnikov »

Crismans, do you think you could post a picture of that swatch?
I'm watching right now some pictures of jackets in happy cow. While they make a great NH Temple of Doom, I think their shade is a tad lighter for a LC :-k . But, once again, I can ask Tony if he has a darker shade, like I did with the goat :P
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Raskolnikov wrote:Crismans, do you think you could post a picture of that swatch?
I'm watching right now some pictures of jackets in happy cow. While they make a great NH Temple of Doom, I think their shade is a tad lighter for a LC :-k . But, once again, I can ask Tony if he has a darker shade, like I did with the goat :P
It's actually darker than it appears in photos. The ones of my jacket anyway, and it gets darker with use.
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

Hatch wrote:Tony does a fabulous job with distressing, he made me a great 'Surrogate' replica with distressing that looked like it was pulled off Willis's back....(it's just different shade but same leather as 747), more pics on the FJ site.....would just ask Tony's ideas.....it would be a great looking jacket IMO, but I'll defer to Tony, the master......
I was just looking at that thread a couple days ago.. most of the pics are dead though :(
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

I think the CS hide is great for a LC jacket - but then again it's personal choice
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

blueoakleyz wrote:
Hatch wrote:Tony does a fabulous job with distressing, he made me a great 'Surrogate' replica with distressing that looked like it was pulled off Willis's back....(it's just different shade but same leather as 747), more pics on the FJ site.....would just ask Tony's ideas.....it would be a great looking jacket IMO, but I'll defer to Tony, the master......
I was just looking at that thread a couple days ago.. most of the pics are dead though :(

Just rechecked and everything has been restored ( thanks to a friend who is better at it than I am ) so feel free to have a look, and enjoy...Tony does a great job on reproducing what we see on the screen

http://www.filmjackets.com/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0
Raskolnikov
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Raskolnikov »

Once more, Hatch, that's a wonderful jacket.
RCSignals wrote:
Raskolnikov wrote:Crismans, do you think you could post a picture of that swatch?
It's actually darker than it appears in photos. The ones of my jacket anyway, and it gets darker with use.
Interesting...
nicktheguy wrote:I think the CS hide is great for a LC jacket - but then again it's personal choice
Yeah. Now I am considering wether to choose Happy Cow or dark CS. Anyway, I have enough time to think about it, because I'm not going to order the jacket until may-summer.

Thanks a lot guys, you were all of great help.

Regards,
Rask
cyrano
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by cyrano »

It may be a new Raiders or a LC.
Anything wrong with your Holygoat ? Would you modify any of your specs if you go for an other raiders ?
Raskolnikov
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Raskolnikov »

Cyrano wrote:Anything wrong with your Holygoat ? Would you modify any of your specs if you go for an other raiders ?
Nothing wrong, Cyrano. My TN Raiders is the best jacket I have ever bought. I can't praise it enough. The goat is thick, strong and yet, with time, has become very flexible, draping almost like lambskin (although, obviously, it doesn't behave or move like it, because is twice as heavy: but in any case the looks are death on). I've been wearing this beauty, not taking into account summer, every day since the parcel arrived. It has less shine now and is beginning to show timidly some distressed parts.
Why would I go for another Raiders? Good question: just Indynuts like us do such things. Lets say I would like to have the real thing, same leather et all. This would do for a lighter springtime jacket too.

Regards,
Rask
cyrano
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by cyrano »

So Rask, cowhide for summertime sounds awkward especially in Spain !

Do you think you will keep the very same specifications if you stick to Raiders ?

You drove crazy so many of us with your gorgeous hollygoat, feel free to show it us anytime.

Regards

Jack
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

Rask, I've got to raise a similar question.....I live in SE US and love my CS or Surrogates in 747 style leather for fall, winter, very early spring but when it gets above 70 degrees the Raiders in SL is preferable, just the lightest most easy moving , floats around on you ,combo........I know you said in your goat thread you wanted jacket with toughness but just thought I'd throw this in......no problem with the SL wearing well thus far but obviously not as tough as cow, goat etc but excellent day after day wearability.....and as said definitely the most comfortable in warmer weather.....
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Jack, I'm not sure why you'd want to change 'specs' of this Raiders jacket from TN other than for sizing.
SpeedRcrX
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by SpeedRcrX »

Hatch wrote:no problem with the SL wearing well thus far but obviously not as tough as cow, goat etc but excellent day after day wearability.....and as said definitely the most comfortable in warmer weather.....

I totally agree with Hatch, I have been wearing my SL Raiders everyday (not these days, it's been too cold around here) since I got it about one year ago.

I can tell you that this lamb is tough because I wear the jacket also at work and I don't baby it, I carry a lot of stuff, some times I just throw it on ground and I wear it in every weather!

I have one in Goat and I also have a Mutt Jacket in lamb but I always come back to my shrunken lamb, it's the most confortable of the three and I simply love the look of that jacket :lol:
Raskolnikov
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Raskolnikov »

Guys, don’t look for a good reason in this. Logic has nothing to do with it. If I go for another Raiders it will be for the simple reason of having a jacket with the original leather: no change of specs, just the same jacket Tony had in his hands. But, you know, when you buy something as expensive as this, you have to lie yourself with a good, sensible excuse… Mine is: 'OK, It will better than my goat Raiders as a springtime jacket...' [-X [-X That’s just a lie, guys: deep inside of me I know I just want it on a whim. I could go for the original measurements too, but with my height, it would be falling into a new grade of craziness I still haven’t reached (Anyway, who knows… You just wait and see ;) ).
Speed, you are the proud owner of two TN Riders, one in goat and the other one in SL. I'm sure you understand me ;)

On the other hand, if I finally go for a LC jacket it won’t be for having a spring/summer jacket... I will order one because, what the heck… I already have a Riders!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Raskolnikov on Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Raskolnikov
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Raskolnikov »

cyrano wrote:You drove crazy so many of us with your gorgeous hollygoat, feel free to show it us anytime.
Thanks, Cyrano.
And, as you wish:

Haven't seen a jacket more raiderish than a Nowak:

Here you have some more pictures:
http://s584.photobucket.com/albums/ss28 ... 010431.jpg

regards,
Rask
Last edited by Raskolnikov on Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
cyrano
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by cyrano »

Jack, I'm not sure why you'd want to change 'specs' of this Raiders jacket from TN other than for sizing.
IMHO cowhide is perfect for cold seasons wearing layers underneath. I rather wear a lighter and slimmer jacket in warmer seasons.
Guys, don’t look for a good reason in this

Too bad, I was expecting you to give me a good one to persuade my wife.
Rask, no more pics you are killing me !

Jack
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

I see Jack. I wasn't thinking of the leather type as a spec but it probably should be.
I was thinking more of construction details, pattern etc.
cyrano
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by cyrano »

Up to now this is the way I used to wear my Westeds:

Winter: full cut backlenght 26 inches cow/horsehide
Summer: eighty's cut backlenght 25 inches lamb/goat

Now I can wear my 747 up to april, what shall I do next ?
That's why I was asking Rask if he was to modifie any of his specs.

Jack
Raskolnikov
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Raskolnikov »

He, he, he... Cyrano, I'm seeing you in the near future ordering a SL too :P
cyrano wrote:Too bad, I was expecting you to give me a good one to persuade my wife.
Try with this one: 'I need a very well made summer jacket and blah, blah, blah...'
:lol:
cyrano
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by cyrano »

I do have very well made westeds for summer.

SL is not for me, even though it most probably was the real thing.

A light and thin (as Wested new goat) dark goat (holly or Nowak matt finsh) would be my ultimate one.

Nah would'nt that be the very best argument ?

Wish she had'nt heard it so often

Jack
Raskolnikov
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Raskolnikov »

:lol:

The dark goat I have is thick, at least considerably ticker than lamb. I seem to remember that the 'vintage' goat and 'new goat' were thiner than mine, but I am not sure. They also appear to be, at least from what I see in the pictures, dark brown.

And yes, your Westeds look really nice ;)

Regards
Rask :TOH:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I dig your jacket Rask. out of all the nowaks in goat, yours is the one I want.
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

Ditto! That's a lovely looking jacket :clap:
cyrano
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by cyrano »

Thanks Rask

Thickness and weight of goat seems to vary from a jacket to another. Clutters and other members Nowak goat do look thiner.
Anyway, when I will be ready (one jacket a year isn't too bad and since I got my 747 end of december I can plan my official 2010 jacket)
I'll be in touch with Tony to sort it out. No doubt he will work another wonder.

Best of luck with your summer jacket

No sweat

Jack
Raskolnikov
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Raskolnikov »

Anytime, Cyrano. :TOH:

Djd, Holt, thanks. I'm surprised to see how, after almost one year and so many good jackets around, this one seems to continue being in the limelight.

Any news about that LC Wested in cow you were about to get, Holt?
r.deckard
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by r.deckard »

[
Haven't seen a jacket more raiderish than a Nowak:

[

Except for a Todd's custom!
Raskolnikov
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Raskolnikov »

Well, I deserved that answer: that's certanly a great one too :tup:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Raskolnikov wrote:
Any news about that LC Wested in cow you were about to get, Holt?
well, I have a raiders Lamb on the way and the next will be an LC in cow.

the reason why I have cancelled on my LC order is because I am sourcing my own SA lining for the LC jacket.