Weak/floppy brim

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Indiana jax
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Weak/floppy brim

Post by Indiana jax »

first of all let me start by saying I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season!
Onto business.
My fed IV standard's brim has become floppy in certain spots, mostly on one side. It creases down while the rest of the brim wil be shaped in the same curve. comparing the 2 sides there isn't too much difference, aside from the floppy side feeling weaker. Is this a problem and can I fix it?
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Weak/floppy brim

Post by RaidersBash »

Check around the bay for this:

http://www.bickmore.com/bickmore/Hat%20 ... fener.html

works great and is super easy to use
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Yep, it sounds like the stiffener in your brim is loosening up, which is what will naturally happen with fedoras over time, use, and handling. If you want a stiffer brim, the stuff RB linked to should do the trick.
Harry Steele
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Harry Steele »

Sometimes using a bit of steam on the brim will "reactivate" the stiffener already in the hat -- especially in hats that originally had a lot of stiffener applied during manufacture (like Akubras). Stiffener, like shellac, will break up with handling; steam will soften the existing stiffener, and it will harden as it cools.

Harry
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

That stuff can be found at any western store that carries hat products. If you have a Boot Barn or Shepplers in your area start there. It does well as a quick fix, just don't over do it otherwise you'll have a hat as stiff as a Drill Instructors cover. ;)

Cheers!

Dan
Indiana jax
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indiana jax »

Thanks everyone! I live near Nashville, so there are western stores a'plenty. I'll work with the syeam and see how that goes. :D