Christmas Shopping in my Fed IV

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Tennessee Steinmetz
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Christmas Shopping in my Fed IV

Post by Tennessee Steinmetz »

I was at the mall getting one more Christmas present for my son, wearing my Fed IV Deluxe, which of course I wear most everywhere I go. One man actually walked over and stopped me, and said, "If you don't mind my asking, where did you get that hat?" I told him hatsdirect.com, and he again said, "I really do like that hat!"

That brought a little more cheer to my Christmas shopping!
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Christmas Shopping in my Fed IV

Post by maboot38 »

Tennessee Steinmetz wrote:I was at the mall getting one more Christmas present for my son, wearing my Fed IV Deluxe, which of course I wear most everywhere I go. One man actually walked over and stopped me, and said, "If you don't mind my asking, where did you get that hat?" I told him hatsdirect.com, and he again said, "I really do like that hat!"

Excellent! It IS a nice hat.
darthbish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by darthbish »

maboot38 wrote:
Tennessee Steinmetz wrote:I was at the mall getting one more Christmas present for my son, wearing my Fed IV Deluxe, which of course I wear most everywhere I go. One man actually walked over and stopped me, and said, "If you don't mind my asking, where did you get that hat?" I told him hatsdirect.com, and he again said, "I really do like that hat!"

Excellent! It IS a nice hat.

Nah.....
It's a SENSATIONAL HAT!!!!!!!
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

It's just not Christmas without fedoras. Image
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

And I don't get the spirit, until I have watched that film, at least once. Never tire of it. Fedora
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

I usually get good comments on my Camptown hats. Had one clerk at Game Stop comment, "Man, I love that hat." And then was very helpful in picking out some really good games. The hat worked it's magic.

That is one of my favorite holiday films. I always enjoy seeing a fedora on ebay that has the Higbee's Deparment Store logo in it. They are usually too small for me though to get. Maybe someday I'll find one similar to Darren McGavin's.

Cheers! :TOH:

Dan
cowboy827
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cowboy827 »

I attended a gun and knife show in W. Springfiled, MA this past weekend, wearing my AB Henry and my Wested LC jacket. Several guys stopped me to compliment my hat and ask from where I got it.

One gentlemen, who appeared to be in his early 50s, said "That hat is bad! I mean, like, really cool!" He then complained about being unable to find a good hat these days. When I told him what a Henry costs, he wasn't surprised.

I even ran into another member of COW, who was wearing a European-made fedora and a Todd's jacket.
DoubleOhSeven
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by DoubleOhSeven »

I got a few hat stories to come about the last few days....

The first was on an elevator. I was already inside when a gentleman stepped in wearing a Dorfman (complete with the Indy pin on the bow). He saw my Akubra and said, "I don't usually wear mine out much," as he pointed to his DP, "but now I'm glad I did." We then had a short lecture (with me leading of course) on the origins of the Indy hats and how he could get one. I gave him the website for COW.

The last one was at a Christmas party hosted by my office. We all met at a farm and had the party in and around the barn. Was great with oysters, beer, that sort of thing. Everyone was, of course, casually dressed, which was a big change from the suit-and-tie office norm. It was cold and rainy that day and evening, so I wore my Fed again, because that thing can sure take a licking from the elements. I heard every comment from "hey it's Indiana Jones" to "you look like Clint Black" (have NO idea where that came from!). But, most of the staff commented on how nice the hat was, where did I get it, and they sure wished they had thought of wearing one while we were cooking/eating oysters. A few had ballcaps and the like, but they just didn't ward off the drizzle like a fedora can do.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

I was walking down the street in my carbon grey Fed IV, and randomly a woman told me "Nice hat!" I said thank you, and as I was walking away, she says "you really make a statement with that hat."

:H:
jkdbuck76
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jkdbuck76 »

DoubleOhSeven wrote:
"you look like Clint Black" (have NO idea where that came from!).
you did mention b33r. I wear my Fed just about everywhere. The only time I get compliments is at church. "Hey it's Indiana Jones!" My brother in law saw me in my Fed and said "that crystal skull movie you were in was pretty good."
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Fedora wrote:And I don't get the spirit, until I have watched that film, at least once. Never tire of it. Fedora
Not to derail, but the funny thing is, they first released it in the summer. I remember my mom taking us as kids and being a bit nervous and frightened by a vet in a wheel chair who was shouting about mistreatment. I couldn't understand why he was angry. I didn't know much about panhandlers at that age.

I still got fond memories…of that movie.
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Funny thing is, when I wear my Camptown Legend I get great hat comments with narry an Indy comment to be had. Now, when I wear my vintage 1947 Whippet, I still get good comments tinged with Indy. This hat is a pale rose/grey with a bound brim & a C crown. I know their knowledge is limited but they are well intentionde comments, so I smile and say thank you. Just funny how if your hat looks spot on you don't get the Indy comment, but if it is a far departure of the iconic look they come out of the woodwork.

Dan
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

Yeah, Ive had similar experiences. i get cowboy comments when I wear my Fed IV, and Indy comments when I wear my huge (6" crown, 4" brim) Bailey western (brown with brown grosgrain ribbon).
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

In my area we're surrounded by ranches, so you see plenty of cowboy hats. They especially come out of the woodwork on non-hat wearers during the Fair season. So nobody really looks twice at my lids, & don't comment on a cowboy hat as they see them every day on folks. I see a lot more younger folks wearing some sort of fedora, even if it is one of those little stingy brim Urban numbers. At least it's a step in the right direction for them.

Dan
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Fedora wrote:And I don't get the spirit, until I have watched that film, at least once. Never tire of it. Fedora
Every year I don't watch that movie until Christmas Eve and then ALL Christmas Day. That's the only time I will allow myself to watch it during the year :)

Kyle
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana MarkVII »

Sorry to say, but I don't know that photo, so could someone please tell me what movie they are talking about?

(Then get back on the right rails)
sallah4
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sallah4 »

IndianaMarkVII the photo is from A Christmas Story.
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana MarkVII »

Thanks sallah4. The boy in glasses looked vaguely familiar, but I didn't have a clue who the other characters are. Now if there had been a BB gun in the picture...