Adam Stops By and We Crack Big!

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

bobm2004
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Adam Stops By and We Crack Big!

Post by bobm2004 »

Well I have to say that I was fortunate to have forum friend, whip cracking guru and my mentor stopped by to spend the night this past weekend! Always nice to have a seven time world record holder visit! And Adam brought a big whip for us to play with-his newly acquired 42.5' foot whip. Not practical to carry on the hip and I doubt our friend Indy would use one, but hey it was a blast-especially after the Tylenol kicked in!

As if you can't tell, the 42.5' is the one in the upper left, next to it is my 22' and below it a newly acquired 6' stock whip, all in the color of the day, black nylon.

After a warming up with the smaller stuff, and a few loosening up throws, Adam hits his stride and throws a near perfect crack, look at the nicely formed loop, all it needs to do is travel another 35 feet or so!

And to really get it crack mega super loud, you time a pull back, demonstrated here...

Now for my first attempt!!

After a few rounds, with breaks in between for oxygen and shoulder re-alignment, I get it right!

I think that I tried it about 12-15 times and proudly have to say I got it to crack twice!! Surprisingly it was my hips that were hurting the most, followed by my shoulders. I did pick up my 22 footer and it was like throwing a 6 footer, it was light, fast and responsive!!

Now I want a 45 footer, just so I can have one a little longer than Adam!!!
Last edited by bobm2004 on Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Adam Stops By and We Crack Big!

Post by Canuck Digger »

Boys! It's always about size, isn't it?
JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

That looks like a lot of fun. I'd love to be there, cracking a 42.5 foot whip in the snow. Where I am, it is hot and humid. Must be that global warming. Or is it just the weather.
Marhala
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Marhala »

Amazing! That is the father of all bullock whips. :shock:

What do you make such a long whip with?

Aldo

P.S. I'm a bit jealous, Bob. :?
jeanfifi
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by jeanfifi »

Canuck Digger wrote:Boys! It's always about size, isn't it?
LOL

beautifull pictures and whips!
Thanks for sharing
JP
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Canuck Digger wrote:Boys! It's always about size, isn't it?
Actually, it's not just about the size, it's about the workout! I'm glad that I've finally got a whip that works my lower back, hips and abs :D

Bob and Bullwhip Borton both got to try out this whip and can attest the the strain it puts on the muscles.

-Adam
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana County Jr. »

Now.. now... now...
No need to brag... besides you could put an eye out with that thing mister!

Awesome show guys! :clap:
Crack On!
Allen
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Adam was out making the rounds last weekend and was able to stop by my place for a visit on Sunday. It was a good to finally meet him in person; we had a lot of fun trading stories, looking over whips and doing a bit of cracking out in the back. One thing is for sure, Adam has earned every accolade that he has accomplished, his whip work is phenomenal.

Rather then start a new thread, Here are a few photos I took during his visit.

That 42.5 ft whip was with out a shadow of a doubt, a monster! It’s the longest whips I’ve ever tried and took me several tries before I was able to get it to crack. You could definitely feel it in your back and shoulder. It took a lot of energy to get it moving and rolling out but once it got moving, look out there was a lot of power in those cracks!

Dan
JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

Richard Taubman, who sometimes has ads in the APWA journal for kangaroo hides, once had a very long bullock whip which he demonstrated at the Brunette Downs races in the northern territory. It acted as a drawcard for potential buyers of his stockwhips and other gear. It was made out of redhide and was I think 80 ft but I could be wrong on that.

You lay the whip out on the ground in a long straight line, grabbed the handle in both hands, standing just to the left of the thong, and basically started to run fast towards the cracker end, and then at a certain point, flung both arms downwards nearly to the ground, to get it to crack. It looked like an anaconda when coiled up.