John Penman - two thumbs up!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

John Penman - two thumbs up!

Post by generalFROSTY »

I'm a newbie here but one thing being on the RPF for many years has taught me is to do your homework on an important purchase.
The Fedora was no easy task when it came time to decide which one to choose. With so many options and price points available, an uninformed buyer could easily be lured into obtaining a less expensive - and less quality - Indy Fedora and think nothing of it.
I demand a higher calliber of quality and accuracy in the items I choose to include in my collection and as tough as it was to decide on my own on a Raiders fedora, I am very happy to say that thanks to the positive reviews by COW members, I took it upon myself to contact John Penman and had a conversation that has truly put things into perspective for me regarding not only the Fedora, but Indy gear in general.
For those of you that know John, when I say he was EXTREMELY generous with his time on the phone, you will know what I am talking about. John made sure all my questions were answered honestly and accurately. Even though John is a gifted hatmaker, he did not try and push HIS hats in front of everyone elses - he was able to objectively evaluate the hats that I included on my short list as potential buys and in the end, help me decide on which hat was the best for ME as a collector and a fan.
Not since my dealings with Magnoli have I been so taken back by the level of service provided by a vendor. For anyone who has even been toying around with the idea of buying an Indy fedora - or any style of fedora for that matter - would be doing themselves a great favor by talking a little bit with John. He is knowlegable, courteous and more than happy to share his passion with fellow fans.

Right now, I am on John's waiting list for a hand made rabbit felt Raiders style, though I have some time to decide to go up to the beaver or even decide on the AB Henry If I want.
Thanks John, and I look forward to getting my first (and hopefully ONLY Indy hat)
-Jimmy
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Re: John Penman - two thumbs up!

Post by Texan Scott »

Something that I would like to see is for John to make a line of custom 80/20 rabbit/beaver hats, maybe a custom Henry. Don't get me wrong, the Henry is a nice factory hat, but it has certain idiosyncrasies that you will not see in one of his custom creations, like the ribbon being sewn above the sweatband stitching. This bow was affixed toward the back portion of the hat, instead of the middle. Had I bashed the hat with the "turn" this would not have happened. Much of this is due to it being made as a Raiders hat was made, so there is method to the madness, but some of us prefer certain things that can only be realized through custom work.
Ohio Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ohio Jones »

I just received my Penman...and for the price...you are getting something worth way more. I cannot praise Johns craftsmanship and customer service enough.

His attention to detail is awesome and when you order from him you are not just some number..and his availability is top notch.

You can not go wrong with a custom Penman!!!!
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Ohio Jones wrote:I just received my Penman...and for the price...you are getting something worth way more. I cannot praise Johns craftsmanship and customer service enough.

His attention to detail is awesome and when you order from him you are not just some number..and his availability is top notch.

You can not go wrong with a custom Penman!!!!

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Sorry Matt but the statement " you are just not a number" is very funny to me. Me being a hugh Prisoner fan.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

According to John, apparently I am both # 99 and 169.

John.... for my next hat you should make me # 1 or 6!!! :CR:
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

I just had an RPF member PM me asking which hat he should go with...first I told him to register here and then I gave nothing but high praises for John (and that's without even owining one of his hats yet!)
Dangerman009
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerman009 »

Ohio Jones wrote:...you are not just some number...
I am not a number! I AM A FREE MAN!!!! ;)

It's always nice to hear of vendors going the extra mile. It reminds me of Macy's motto in The Miracle on 34th Street, "If we don't have it, we'll find it for you". Now that's customer service. :tup:
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Really, there are not enough superlatives for the man or the hat.

So I've just given up. :-s ;)
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

crismans wrote:Really, there are not enough superlatives for the man or the hat.

you lost me.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

...I was #45 myself! :P
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Tundrarider wrote:
BendingOak wrote:
crismans wrote:Really, there are not enough superlatives for the man or the hat.

you lost me.
I think what crismans is saying here is what we all feel...

We think so highly of you and your work, that words fall short. :notworthy:

Michael :TOH:

Sorry, I guess I'm real slow.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

That's okay John, we still like you! :-$
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

BendingOak wrote:

you lost me.
Michael called it right. I was just saying that sometimes I feel like a broken record saying "Beautiful hat, beautiful craftsmanship. Terrific customer service." But what else can you say?
KY Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by KY Jones »

Regarding Oak and Penman hats:

My third one is on order.

Nuf' said.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

KY Jones wrote:Regarding Oak and Penman hats:

My third one is on order.

Nuf' said.
What was wrong with the first two? :-k

J/K I know you love them ;) :TOH:
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

John should make a hat and send it to speilberg...
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

There's already talk of him joining up with Steve and Marc to help make the Indy V hats if and when that happens. That's just a rumour that I have heard.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

crismans wrote:
BendingOak wrote:

you lost me.
Michael called it right. I was just saying that sometimes I feel like a broken record saying "Beautiful hat, beautiful craftsmanship. Terrific customer service." But what else can you say?
Just tap the back of your head, maybe the record would skip? :P
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

No rumor, Nick. Steve has written many times here on these boards that he is inviting John to help make the Indy V hats. Everyone here with a Penman already has a hat from one of the Indy V hatters. And if you have one of his and one of Steve's you are really ahead of the game.

Dave
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

DR Ulloa wrote:No rumor, Nick. Steve has written many times here on these boards that he is inviting John to help make the Indy V hats. Everyone here with a Penman already has a hat from one of the Indy V hatters. And if you have one of his and one of Steve's you are really ahead of the game.

Dave
Your jumping way to far ahead. We don't even know if there is going to be a INDY 5. I know both Steve and Marc have giving me a great invite IF there is another movie and I have excepted the offer of course ( Im not a dumb guy ) but there has to be a movie being made before any of that happens. I hope it happens fore many reason but the biggest for me will be working side by side with Steve and Marc.

John
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Alright, then IF Indy V is made, all us Penman owners already have a hat, or two, or three, from one of the Indy V hatters. Howzat? ;)

Dave
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

DR Ulloa wrote:Alright, then IF Indy V is made, all us Penman owners already have a hat, or two, or three, from one of the Indy V hatters. Howzat? ;)

Dave

Don't mean to bust your chops David but don't drive the engine before opening the bay doors.

Believe me I have a good one to put into the thread about why I want Indy 5 to be made but I have put it out of my mind and focused on just making my hats.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

No problem, my friend. But I have a feeling we will get an Indy V. Plus, whether or not it happens, you are still my favorite hatter, tied with Steve, of course. I loved your hats before Steve said that. ####, I loved your hats before Penman Hats was Penman Hats. I was the first order placed through COW. You had three friends you made hats for, so techincally I was number four. Who is number? As long as I am not number six, we are cool.

Dave
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

DR Ulloa wrote:No problem, my friend. But I have a feeling we will get an Indy V. Plus, whether or not it happens, you are still my favorite hatter, tied with Steve, of course. I loved your hats before Steve said that. ####, I loved your hats before Penman Hats was Penman Hats. I was the first order placed through COW. You had three friends you made hats for, so techincally I was number four. Who is number? As long as I am not number six, we are cool.

Dave

Thanks for the complement my friend.