Zipper pull repair

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

Restless Dreamer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Zipper pull repair

Post by Restless Dreamer »

I did a search in this section using "zipper" as keyword, but didn't find anything useful.

I wonder if there is a home made solution to repair a zipper pull on a leather jacket. When I pull up the zipper pull, the theeth don't line up right.

this is an example of what happens

is there any chance to solve the problem by myself, or should I just ask a taylor to repair it?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Zipper pull repair

Post by Michaelson »

RD, you can fiddle around with it yourself, but I've found 9 times out of 10 it's due to a broken/misaligned tooth, and not much can be done to keep it 'fixed'.

My suggestion is your best plan of attack is to take it to your seamstress and let her do her magic on it rather than beating your head against the wall fighting a losing battle.

I've been there, done that, have a few grey hairs to show for it before I realized I was not going to win without help. :lol: ;)

Regards! Michaelson
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

One side may have just slipped. I watched a tailor repair a similar problem using a pair of pliers on the slider...gave it a tweak on one side of it's runner after examining it.
Restless Dreamer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Restless Dreamer »

Michaelson wrote:RD, you can fiddle around with it yourself, but I've found 9 times out of 10 it's due to a broken/misaligned tooth, and not much can be done to keep it 'fixed'.
this is so frustrating :( I hate when I can't solve a problem by myself, I always want to know _what_ is wrong and _how_ to make it right.

but I guess I will have to cope with it :-k I'll bring the jacket to my tailor and ask for a fix - but I will also ask him where the problem is, I want to see it with my eyes \:D/ Since I really can't spot the "wrong" tooth. Maybe the problem is in the zipper pull, who knows.

Well thanks for the feedback anyway
enigmata_wood
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by enigmata_wood »

this has worked for me before but i can't speak for how it wakens the zip:

Run the zipper pull up to the top of the zip.
Technically you need 3 hands for this so clamp the bottom halves of the zip side by side in a vice et al - where they ought to be when it's closed.
Put a little oil on the zip and zipper pull.
Identify which side of the zip has extra teeth free [when the zipper is down] gently pull just that side taught while you run the zipper pull up and down quickly.
If you're lucky the pull will skip over the extra teeth until everything lines up again.