My Caicedo 10' 12 Plait (w/ Pics, and a special thanks...)

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

TruckWhatTruck
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

My Caicedo 10' 12 Plait (w/ Pics, and a special thanks...)

Post by TruckWhatTruck »

Hello to all- it's been a while since I've posted on COW, and certainly a while since I've started a thread- partly due to lack of post-worthy news, and partly due to a heavy college schedule. However, I'm happy to say that at least one of the two problems has been remedied... :whip:

Three weeks ago, I finished some early holiday shopping, and discovered that I had some money to burn. After a bit of reflection (albeit a very brief bit of reflection) I decided the time was right to take the bullwhip plunge. After doing a quick COW refresher course on whips, whip makers, vendors, models, and everything else whip-related, I determined that what I wanted was a functional, quality whip, as close to Raiders' SA as I could get without going broke. Now, there are MANY very skilled whip craftsmen who have a presence here on the forums, and each of them bring something unique to the table. The high-end whips (let's say the $500-$900 range) are gorgeous and I'm certain they are worth they praise they receive, but I could never justify that much money for a whip on my budget. :roll:

So, clearly I was in need of a mid-range whip from a reliable craftsman. After checking out thread after thread praising the work of Gus Caicedo, and his customer service, I headed over to http://www.purewhips.com to check out his whips and prices. The whips looked great, and the prices were quite a pleasant surprise as well. I decided I didn't need to look any further than Gus. Now, never having owned a truly "functional" whip, and not really knowing much about the technical aspects of well-made whips, I ended up just going with my gut in terms of choosing my whip- actually, I just went for what looked to be the most screen accurate whip Gus was selling- to my eyes, this turned out to be the 10' 12 plait, cow hide in natural, which sells for a cool $300.

I ordered the whip, and held my breath.

Three weeks later, I am the proud owner of this Caicedo whip:

The whip is light, but it feels great and moves beautifully. It's sturdy, with a heavy thong- but it responds like a champ, and goes where you tell it to go. Flexible, but not limp. I'm not exactly sure what accounts for Gus' relatively low prices on his whips, but it doesn't seem to me that he's made any sacrifices to the quality- it's just in cow hide, as opposed to, say, roo. But for my money, it moves exactly the way it should. :tup:

Here are some detail shots for those who have interest:
ImageImage
ImageImage

The braiding is tight, and contains no errors that I can discern. The color is what I would call a light "whiskey" shade, and I think it's a decent match for the Raiders look (though I won't complain when the natural darkening process sets in). As far as I can tell, the pictures you're seeing are a true representation of how the whip looks in natural light. I've seen where some people have complained that Gus' natural whips are too light in color, but frankly I think it looks fine right out of the box. Horses for courses, I suppose. Just so you know, Gus also included a number of black nylon replacement poppers at no extra charge.

Today I took the whip out for some practice when I went hiking with my trusty dog, Captain, at my side (or rather, on my shoulder...)

Before I close out this post, I'd like to take a minute and let you guys know something about Gus Caicedo-

A couple of days before the whip arrived, I sent Gus an email, just to check in and see where things were at. I was expecting that, like most vendors, I would hear back a brief line or two within the next few days letting me know the status (which would have been perfectly acceptable- that's normal). But Gus is certainly not "most vendors", and within 20 minutes of sending the email I got a phone call from Gus himself. He wanted to reach me in person to let me know about my order (which he had already shipped). When I had some questions, Gus patiently answered each of them, and we ended up having a really interesting conversation touching on everything from how he makes his whips, to tips for targeting, to his friendship and good-natured rivalry with Adam Winrich (another superb COW whip vendor that I'm sure you're all familiar with).

The long and short of this little anecdote is that Gus Caicedo isn't just a talented craftsman with great prices, he's also a small business owner who really invests in his product and in his customers' satisfaction with that product. I want to make it clear that I'm sure most of COW's vendors are excellent people who have excellent customer service, and my praise of Gus should not be taken as a dig at their expense- but I've been buying specialty items off of the internet for years now, and I can count on one hand the number of times I've encountered a seller who cared enough about my satisfaction and concerns to call me up (of their own free will) just to make sure everything was as it should be. But that's the kind of guy Gus is, and I'm pretty impressed. :notworthy: :)

I have been extremely pleased with my choice in purewhips as a whip vendor. Not just because I really like the whip, but also because I really like the whip maker. All my best wishes and compliments to Gus and his family, and a huge pat on the back for the excellent work that's being done over at purewhips.com. When the time comes, I'm absolutely looking forward to purchasing my next whip (8' for sure) from Gus.

Also, a special thanks to everyone here at COW for giving me so much information, and so many options, when it came to finally making my long-delayed whip purchase. :clap:

respects to all-

truck
Last edited by TruckWhatTruck on Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: My Caicedo 10' 12 Plait (w/ Pics, and a special thanks...)

Post by tomek9210 »

Cool whip! I like the color and plaiting.
Have a nice time with breaking it in :TOH:
bobm2004
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bobm2004 »

I have had the pleasure of a Gus whip and he is great to deal with. Love the detail of your post and I am sure you are going to be happy. I also have to tell you I just shared this post with my wife. The reason being is you marching companion in the woods-Captain! We too have one of those little monsters, I mean a Chihuahua named Sequoya (along with three whippets)! She would like to say hi!

Cracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cracker »

Congratulations on the new whip. Gus is a great guy. Captain is cool too :)

Jim
TruckWhatTruck
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by TruckWhatTruck »

bobm2004 wrote:I have had the pleasure of a Gus whip and he is great to deal with. Love the detail of your post and I am sure you are going to be happy. I also have to tell you I just shared this post with my wife. The reason being is you marching companion in the woods-Captain! We too have one of those little monsters, I mean a Chihuahua named Sequoya (along with three whippets)! She would like to say hi!

She's beautiful! :-

And yes, I think I'm going to be very happy indeed with my whip. Now if I could only manage to stop whipping myself in the legs... ah well. Getting a whip from Gus took 3 weeks, but learning to use it might take a lifetime.
TruckWhatTruck
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by TruckWhatTruck »

Tundrarider wrote:Truck,

That picture with you and Captain on the bridge is priceless!!! :lol:

That's a very nice whip and I really enjoyed the review. We are SO fortunate to have such a great group of vendors here. :notworthy:

Congratulations on your new whip! :whip:

Thanks for posting,

Michael :TOH:
Hey Michael- thank you very much. :TOH:

I've had the world's greatest whip resource to draw on thanks to COW, and I'm genuinely grateful to everyone who contributes here for making my choice a relatively easy one. For the new inductees to the world of whipcraft, I feel like Gus' work is a perfect fit.

If my review can help inform someone else who might be about to make a purchase, then hopefully I've repaid the debt that I owe COW for helping me decide (which is kind of what it's all about, isn't it?). :)

-truck
louiefoxx
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by louiefoxx »

I know you already know this...but I figured I should mention it to make sure: Untie knots in your falls as soon as the happen when you are out whip cracking.

Louie
http://bullwhips.org
TruckWhatTruck
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by TruckWhatTruck »

louiefoxx wrote:I know you already know this...but I figured I should mention it to make sure: Untie knots in your falls as soon as the happen when you are out whip cracking.

Louie
http://bullwhips.org
Hi Louie- yeah, I noticed the knot in the fall about a 10 minutes after snapping the pictures. :[ Not to worry though, it's history. But it never hurts to be vigilant, so thanks!
Vaderbreath
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Vaderbreath »

Gorgeous whip! I second everyting said about Gus. I have never had such good customer service than I've had with him. Not to mention he makes really nice, affordable whips!