MKVII snaps

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Sitting Rabbit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

MKVII snaps

Post by Sitting Rabbit »

Hello all,
I have a MKVII bag that has the snaps with the ring around the outside, and has the tooling rough surface on the inside. One of my snaps busted off and cannot be fixed. Does anyone know where to get new ones? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

~Jason
jedidentist
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: MKVII snaps

Post by jedidentist »

I'd ask one of the repro guys like WP Glory or Magnoli.
Sitting Rabbit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sitting Rabbit »

Just did, thanks for the advice.
Sitting Rabbit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sitting Rabbit »

Still didn't find any. Anyone had any luck finding these? I know others want them too, so don't be shy :CR:
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

My local shoe repair guy replaced one for me. Same size as the original, slightly different colour, but that doesn't worry me.

LJ
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

Is yours an original or repro?
I have an origininal, and the first time I tired to unsnap them, it seemed a little tough. I want to avoid having mine break off, so I think I will keep them open. If you have a repro, this may be a good time to get an original....if it was an original, this may be a good time to get a repro. Hey, any excuse to buy more Indy gear, right?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Long John Tinfoil wrote:My local shoe repair guy replaced one for me. Same size as the original, slightly different colour, but that doesn't worry me.

LJ
If it's any solace, I have an original bag that has seen some use, it has had one of the snaps replaced sometime in it's life so the 2 snaps do not match at all. Neither do the 'pip' part. Makes no difference to how it works and I feel it a bit of history.
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

A local leather repair shoppe should be able to get your fixed up. :TOH:
Sitting Rabbit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sitting Rabbit »

Nope, mine are the original snaps and I kind of wanted to keep them original. The snaps are rough in the middle with a ring around the outside. I really don't want to have to get the shiny snaps from "Joanne Fabrics". My bag is in mint condition (like it was just made), and is the real McCoy. I bought it (I don't remember where) without the original strap (I'm not he type to ruin a piece of history like cutting off the original strap). I put a nice leather belt on it with Marc's Adventurebilt buckle, and I use to use my bag just about everyday until the snap broke. Since then, my wife's purse has been full of my stuff as well as her stuff. Yeah, I could just get another bag, but this one is mint and I have kept very good care of it (except for the snap breaking). I would have thought there would be a ton of these out there left over from making these bags. Someone somewhere has them, just not a member here on COW. Go figure. Maybe someday I'll find them.......... ](*,)
ThatManFromRio
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ThatManFromRio »

Check this thread :
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=31120
Pics are deleted but I remember TheMechanic doing a very nice job recreating the ring on
standard snaps .
Maybe you could get some advice from him through PM . :-k
TMFR
Sitting Rabbit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: MKVII snaps - Newey snaps

Post by Sitting Rabbit »

Anyone have any luck locating the snaps I'm looking for? On the bottom of the snap (the inside part), it reads "newey pat. 201430-22". I know that the Newey company made a lot of snaps and different closures. I'm still looking to fix my bag. Thanks.
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

Post some pics & we would know exactly what we should be looking for.
Sitting Rabbit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sitting Rabbit »

How do I post a picture? I never learned how :roll: There was a post in "Thefedoralounge" way back with the same bag I have. http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthre ... g-unissued" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's another picture just like mine. It's towards the bottom. http://thepropzone.tripod.com/id14.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If this doesn't help, how do I post a pic? Thanks.
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

I have sourced high and low for these snaps and have only been able to find cheap plastic versions or tops stamped with some other emblem or the like.

I know it is possible to heat and stamp the standard brass snap top using a torch, spot setter, and design stamp but it is tricky and very prone to mistakes and/or causing the snap to malfunction.

In lieu of finding the correct snap tops (which I believe are no longer in production) you can use a standard old American brass snap top. There are a lot of different makers and finishes available. I like the antique style brass because they patina nicely. If you use a new snap on a vintage MKVII I think it looks kinda funny.

If you find you need to go with regular brass snaps and want to have it done let me know. I can fix it fairly easily for you.

W.E.
Sitting Rabbit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sitting Rabbit »

Wade Egan wrote:I have sourced high and low for these snaps and have only been able to find cheap plastic versions or tops stamped with some other emblem or the like.

I know it is possible to heat and stamp the standard brass snap top using a torch, spot setter, and design stamp but it is tricky and very prone to mistakes and/or causing the snap to malfunction.

In lieu of finding the correct snap tops (which I believe are no longer in production) you can use a standard old American brass snap top. There are a lot of different makers and finishes available. I like the antique style brass because they patina nicely. If you use a new snap on a vintage MKVII I think it looks kinda funny.

If you find you need to go with regular brass snaps and want to have it done let me know. I can fix it fairly easily for you.

W.E.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I might have to take you up on that offer. I'll let you know soon.
Indiana Dymond
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Dymond »

You could try these ( second item down )

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/reenactors/index.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are newley press studs and realy ment for replacements on a Dennison smock.
I bet the paint would come off with a little work,it normally has on any old smock I,ve ever seen.
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

Sitting Rabbit wrote:How do I post a picture? I never learned how :roll: There was a post in "Thefedoralounge" way back with the same bag I have. http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthre ... g-unissued" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's another picture just like mine. It's towards the bottom. http://thepropzone.tripod.com/id14.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If this doesn't help, how do I post a pic? Thanks.
http://www.imageshack.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has free hosting.
Sitting Rabbit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sitting Rabbit »

Those studs on soldier of fortune look like the guts of the snap that broke off, but the front is smooth with black on it. I might have to buy a set and rub the paint off like you suggested. Thanks for the idea. It may resort to that too.

Thanks for the image site. I'll have to sign up.
Indiana Dymond
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Dymond »

MK VII bags do come with smooth studs as well as the embossed ones.

If you have to replace one you may as well do both,chances are the second one will fail at some point as the first on has broke allready.
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

Sitting Rabbit wrote:Thanks for the image site. I'll have to sign up.
You know that you don't have to sign up if you don't want to, right?
sam
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sam »

By the way, I thought I should mention, in case you don't know, that the only snaps we see on film are the plain smooth ones. The snaps with the wavey lines never appear on screen as far as I know. A lot of folks like them better, but they never make an appearance in the movies. Every still, every frame I've ever zoomed in on always has the smooth snaps. So, that may be something to consider if you care about that kind of thing. By the way, if anyone knows of any shots where the other snaps appear, please speak up. If I'm wrong about that, I definitely want to know! Thanks!
indydude18
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indydude18 »

Hey Sitting Rabbit,
I have some snap covers that may be able to help you out. Shoot me a pm.

-indydude18
Sitting Rabbit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sitting Rabbit »

indydude18 wrote:Hey Sitting Rabbit,
I have some snap covers that may be able to help you out. Shoot me a pm.

-indydude18

PM Sent.
IndyRiv
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyRiv »

Hello Sitting Rabbit,

Just saw your thread and wanted to chime in a bit. One option that might work is to advertise for anyone who has an old, beater-upper Mark VII bag that could be used as a parts bag to steal the snaps off of that one. Also, if you're just looking for the snaps, perhaps Ebay might be a good place to pick up a bag cheaper. There are a lot of originals there that don't go for that much because they're dirty, heavily soiled, etc. Again, it would be a parts bag but you may luck out finding a "junk" bag with nice snaps originally yet or that can be shined up by dipping them in vinegar or another cleaning solution.

Just some other options. I've learned a lot from your post as well about the plain brass snaps. I bought a few Mark VII bags from WPG not long ago and received a couple of them that had a snap ripped off or broken. I had thought about replacing the snaps, but didn't think to contact people on here about options and just sent the bags back to WPG for a refund. They were PERFECT bags - just that the snaps weren't right for me. Now I know!
Sitting Rabbit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sitting Rabbit »

Yeah, I thought about junk bags. The only problem is that I'd end up using the junk bags for something else :?
IndyRiv
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyRiv »

Sitting Rabbit wrote:Yeah, I thought about junk bags. The only problem is that I'd end up using the junk bags for something else :?
Ah! That problem, eh? :-k I know exactly what you mean! I've bought a few different Raiders shirts with the intention of actually "using" them for daily wear and adventures --- I have YET to actually wear one and abuse it naturally for the purpose I intended on buying it for! :lol:

Before I sign off on my post, I know it's been said earlier in this thread and I don't know what your personal preference is, but the bags used in all 4 films had the plain brass snaps and if you were looking to make your bags somewhat more screen-accurate, going ahead and eliminating the other snaps and putting the plain brass ones on might be an idea. Again, it all comes down to your personal preference though and both snaps are very nice.

Anyone reading this --- speaking of the snaps... I've got two Mark VII bags that have the same types of snaps that Sitting Rabbit is referring to and I'm curious to know how easy it is to change the snaps and replace them with the Screen-Accurate styled ones? This is what I'd love to do, but I don't want to end up destroying the bag over something that ultimately is quite meanial in the long run.

Thanks! And best of luck to you, Sitting Rabbit! :TOH:
Sitting Rabbit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sitting Rabbit »

IndyRiv wrote:
Sitting Rabbit wrote:Yeah, I thought about junk bags. The only problem is that I'd end up using the junk bags for something else :?
Ah! That problem, eh? :-k I know exactly what you mean! I've bought a few different Raiders shirts with the intention of actually "using" them for daily wear and adventures --- I have YET to actually wear one and abuse it naturally for the purpose I intended on buying it for! :lol:

Before I sign off on my post, I know it's been said earlier in this thread and I don't know what your personal preference is, but the bags used in all 4 films had the plain brass snaps and if you were looking to make your bags somewhat more screen-accurate, going ahead and eliminating the other snaps and putting the plain brass ones on might be an idea. Again, it all comes down to your personal preference though and both snaps are very nice.

Anyone reading this --- speaking of the snaps... I've got two Mark VII bags that have the same types of snaps that Sitting Rabbit is referring to and I'm curious to know how easy it is to change the snaps and replace them with the Screen-Accurate styled ones? This is what I'd love to do, but I don't want to end up destroying the bag over something that ultimately is quite meanial in the long run.

Thanks! And best of luck to you, Sitting Rabbit! :TOH:

Thanks for the response IndyRiv! Yeah, I might just do that. Hey, if you end up being able to get those snaps off and putting the smooth ones on, can you send them my way? :TOH:
IndyRiv
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyRiv »

Sitting Rabbit -

It'll probably be a fairly long ways down the road before I may tackle that aspect and I'd like to first see if anyone responds about how to remove them successfully. I may give a call or email Wade Egan to get a better idea of how to do this, where to get very close replacement snaps, etc. as his recommendation in the thread of the different types of snaps is reassuring.

But, the main answer is: if I can get them removed successfully.... they're yours! :TOH:

Keep in touch with a PM every once in awhile if you wouldn't mind. This way I can be reminded by someone more reliable than my own mind. :lol:

All the best to you,

IndyRiv
Sitting Rabbit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sitting Rabbit »

IndyRiv wrote:Sitting Rabbit -

It'll probably be a fairly long ways down the road before I may tackle that aspect and I'd like to first see if anyone responds about how to remove them successfully. I may give a call or email Wade Egan to get a better idea of how to do this, where to get very close replacement snaps, etc. as his recommendation in the thread of the different types of snaps is reassuring.

But, the main answer is: if I can get them removed successfully.... they're yours! :TOH:

Keep in touch with a PM every once in awhile if you wouldn't mind. This way I can be reminded by someone more reliable than my own mind. :lol:

All the best to you,

IndyRiv
Thanks IndyRiv! I sure will.
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

Removing snaps while keeping them intact is not really possible. Snap tops are set like rivets, when they're pressed together the metal is furled backwards to effectively meld the two pieces together. When you pound or cut the snaps apart your left without the post on the snap top you need to refasten it.

Only options I've come across are to either tool the snap top yourself or just go with the plain 'old style' brass tops. The new tops don't look the same so you have to look around for the older style. I have a couple sources if you need help finding them.

:TOH:

W
Sitting Rabbit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sitting Rabbit »

Wade Egan wrote:Removing snaps while keeping them intact is not really possible. Snap tops are set like rivets, when they're pressed together the metal is furled backwards to effectively meld the two pieces together. When you pound or cut the snaps apart your left without the post on the snap top you need to refasten it.

Only options I've come across are to either tool the snap top yourself or just go with the plain 'old style' brass tops. The new tops don't look the same so you have to look around for the older style. I have a couple sources if you need help finding them.

:TOH:

W

Yes, I'd love to know where to get some from your sources. PM me and we'll talk. Thanks!
IndyRiv
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyRiv »

Wade,

Will be getting in touch with you shortly via PM or through your site regarding the snaps and services of yours.

Thanks for bringing this wonderfully useful information to our attention.

Most Sincerely,

IndyRiv :TOH:
wild_weasel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by wild_weasel »

Hello,

Tandy Leather sells snaps, in brass, and the tools necessary to replace them.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home ... 3-045.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers,
W-W
Sitting Rabbit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sitting Rabbit »

Since I've been unable to locate the original snaps, I'm ready to just put some regular ones on (maybe ones that would match the holes at the bottom. My bag is so mint (other than the snap broken off) that it almost looks like a fake, lol. Anyone know how to put new snaps on? Anyone willing to put them on for me? Thanks. I'm just ready to start using my bag again! :whip:
Sitting Rabbit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sitting Rabbit »

I'm still looking! ](*,) It sits in my closet waiting for the original snaps somewhere in some box in England somewhere. Anyone out there found any? Anyone willing to put new ones on for me? Let me know. Thanks. :TOH:
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Well just my own experiance. My MKVIII had a snap come un-done. :x
Looked around for replacemnts, but only was able to locate not even close enoughs :(

So I contacted Wade about canvas straps on the side, needed one replaced, so I figured, contact him for his insight.
Said send it to him heas some CA in antique brass finish which will be better than shiny.

So I sent him both, replace the straps on bothe and replace the snaps on the one that needs it. :)

Croft :mrgreen:
Sitting Rabbit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sitting Rabbit »

Indiana Croft wrote:Well just my own experiance. My MKVIII had a snap come un-done. :x
Looked around for replacemnts, but only was able to locate not even close enoughs :(

So I contacted Wade about canvas straps on the side, needed one replaced, so I figured, contact him for his insight.
Said send it to him heas some CA in antique brass finish which will be better than shiny.

So I sent him both, replace the straps on bothe and replace the snaps on the one that needs it. :)

Croft :mrgreen:

Thanks! Yeah, will probably end up doing just that.