different head sizes = different crown heights?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Briscott
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

different head sizes = different crown heights?

Post by Briscott »

I'vea read that some vendors offer different crown heights (open crowned) depending on the hat size and I was wondering how much they really vary. I tried to find that out with a formula in excel, based on the fact that Mr Fords (size 7-1/4) had a crown height of 5.5 inch (CS), here's the result:

hat size = crown height (open)

7-3/4 = 5.9 inch
7-5/8 = 5.8 inch
7-1/2 = 5.7 inch
7-3/8 = 5.6 inch
7-1/4 = 5.5 inch
7-1/8 = 5.4 inch
7 = 5.3 inch
6-7/8 = 5.25 inch

What do you say? Could that be or would it be too much difference? Thanks for your help!
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: different head sizes = different crown heights?

Post by Fedora »

I generally don't adjust that much for each hat size.

I basically use the 5 1/2 crown height for hats that run from size 7 1/8 to 7 1/2. I adjust the crown height up, for anything above a 7 1/2, and down for anything below a 7 1/8. Also with the brims when needed, just depends upon facial shape. But on the crown heights, I never go above 5 3/4 open crown. A 6 inch tall hat is still TALL even on a size 7 3/4 head. Too tall for an Indy fedora. Makes a nice Hoss Cartwright hat though. :lol: Fedora
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

I'm a size 6 7/8" and I experimented with my Christys,re-blocking the crown to 5 1/4" open-crown,I was suprised by the results.I found that with the lower height,the centre dent wouldn't go down deep enough and kept popping back up,the sweatband was now higher in the hat so I couldn't get a proper front crease and the ribbon just looked wrong-out of proportion to the new height of the hat-it didn't look like an Indy hat anymore!
The 5 1/2" open-crown height looks much better on me even though I'm 5 foot 6 and logically it SHOULD be lower.
I think it's possible to wear a taller hat as long as the width of the brim and crown are right.
Last edited by mark seven on Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Fedora wrote:... A 6 inch tall hat is still TALL even on a size 7 3/4 head. Too tall for an Indy fedora. Makes a nice Hoss Cartwright hat though. :lol: Fedora
You mean kinda like this :-k

:rolling:
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I'm a size 6 7/8" and I experimented with my Christys,re-blocking the crown to 5 1/4" open-crown,I was suprised by the results.I found that with the lower height,the centre dent wouldn't go down deep enough and kept popping back up,the sweatband was now higher in the hat so I couldn't get a proper front crease and the ribbon just looked wrong-out of proportion to the new height of the hat-it didn't look like an Indy hat anymore!
The 5 1/2" open-crown height looks much better on me even though I'm 5 foot 6 and logically it SHOULD be lower.
I think it's possible to wear a taller hat as long as the width of the brim and crown are right.

Yes, I agree. But the shape of the top of the head enters into the equation. Some of those film hats were less than 5 1/2 open crown, but Ford had no trouble wearing them, that is, his head did not push out the top. But, I can't wear one shorter than 5 1/2 either!! My head pushes out the top. I usually preface my posts of this sort with the word "generally speaking". :lol: But I have seen way too many of my hats on small heads, with the film crown height looking comical. And comical is NOT what an Indy hat should look like. But as you said, there are some who HAVE to have the taller height, regardless of head size. And on some folks with smaller heads, the hat looks ok, taller. Blocks that make hats start to get narrower from side to side as the hat size decreases. Adding height to a narrow hat generally makes the hat look too tall. It's the perspective entering into it.

What we run into with Indy hats is, some folks never look right in them. And of course, this is because we don't all have Ford's head and facial shape. You can tailor the hat to fit the head and facial shape, but then you are fitting the hat to fit a non Ford head, facial shape. It looks better on the person, but you can't expect it to be film accurate in looks, if you nit pick the details. Folks with real thin faces are the hardest to fit. Especially if they pick the Raiders fedora, or the CS, which both have fuller crowns. Now, these thin faced folks look so much better in the tapered crowns, of TOD. But, that is not a very popular hat here. :lol:

No doubt that D.N. designed the Raiders fedora with Harrisons head/facial shape taken into consideration. If he had been born with a wider face, or thinner face, we would not have the Raiders fedora as we know it today, IMO. No doubt crown height was considered as well. He doesn't have much skull above the brows. So, he can wear shorter hats with that particular type of top crease. Even when the Raiders hat lost some crown height, he could still wear them. I think we actually see some hats in Raiders that were 5 1/4 open crown height. And he pulled it off well. But, we can't all do it. Fedora
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

You mean kinda like this
Giddy up!! :lol: