How many cracks do you know?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

How many cracks do you know?

Post by Strider »

I was just wondering how many of us gearheads can perform multiple cracks? When I say "know," I mean cracks you can bust every single time you attempt it, or at least 95% of the time. I don't mean "65% of the time, it works every time." :P

Here's my list of cracks:

Sidearm
Overhead (Right and left handed)
Circus (Right and left handed) Otherwise known as a forward crack, or whoosh bang.
Hungarian Pig Drover's
Coachman's
Windshield Wiper

Still trying to figure out:

Figure 8's

Let's hear it, fellows!
McFly
Scoundrel

Re: How many cracks do you know?

Post by McFly »

Hey Strider!

I can do:
Basic throws in the 8 planes (downward and upward vertical, downward and upward oblique in forehand and backhand planes, forehand and backhand sidearms)
Circus crack
Coachman's crack
Overhead and reverse overhead cracks
Fast and slow figure 8s
Windshield wiper
Hungarian pig drover's
Tasmanian cutback
Continuing the line

Working on:
Snake killer
The "Reverse Borton" - a trick Dan Borton created

Shane
Kiscien
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kiscien »

Hi Strider:

whoosh bang is not the same crack as a circus crack.

I can do this basic cracks both hands (coachmen's, cattlemen's, figure 8'th(slow and fast), victorian cutback, sydney flash, whoosh bang, volley, snake killer, tasmanian cutback, flicks, both crossovers),

four corners only right handed, but I can connect it with volley or anything else in left hand.

I know some of the routines on two hands(changing 8'ts, mad coachman, ben's helicopter, helicopter, nad couple other cracks that I don't remember the name).
Lightning
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Lightning »

Cattleman's (circus) crack
Overhead Crack
Forward Flick
The Sidearm Flick
The Underhand Flick
Coachman’s crack

I would like to note that learning the Coachman’s crack on a 10-foot bullwhip without assistance was extremely difficult.
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana County Jr. »

Hi Strider!

Here is my list:

Cattleman’s crack
Overhead crack
The Flick (sidearm, underneath)
Slow figure 8
Fast figure 8
The Volley
The Snake Killer
Cairo crack
Singleton Special
Tasmanian cutback
Continuing the line
The Arrow Head
Rotational crack pattern
Australian Cross
Coachman’s crack
X Crack (Robert Amper)

BTW: A very big thanks to Adam Winrich, Anthony Delongis and Robert Amper for demonstrating these cracks and capturing them on film for us all to work on!

Still working on:
My left side..... #-o

Crack On! :whip:
Allen
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Oh! I can do the Sergei Volley, and Sydney and Queensland flashes too, and the Cairo crack, and I ONCE did the arrowhead. :lol:

What's the Australian cross?

I'm also interested in hearing about this victorian cutback, and the whoosh bang!

Lightning - yeah, it's tough doing that crack on the 10 even after you're good at it, but isn't it SO cool? ;) :whip:

Shane
thebovrilmonkey
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by thebovrilmonkey »

This thread's reminding me how much I dislike text based communication and typical whip terminology* - I probably know a few of the cracks listed already, but I have no idea what they're called.

Aside from the combos, are any of them really that different from a cattlemans crack (in that it makes a loop) or a throw crack (in that it makes a hairpin U shape)?

* not just whip terminology, the same goes for anything that doesn't have a set of descriptive names, which tends to be most things ;)
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Hi Shane,

The Austrailian Cross refers to the defensive move(s) by Indy in the deleted swordsman fight from Raiders. I picked it up while reading this thread a while ago.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26743&hilit=Australian+cross

Beat my self "silly" trying this the first week..... :lol:

Allen
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Oh! I can do that! :lol:

What I can NOT do though are volleys. Those things always kick my butt! The only volley I can do is the Sergei volley, but not the regular one. I've tried it a bunch of times and just can't get it. Same with the snake killer. Ah well. I'll leave those ones to the pros! ;)

I also invented (or I think I did) the "Driver" which is basically a golf styled crack and the "Home run" which is obviously baseball styled.

Shane
louiefoxx
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by louiefoxx »

Shane,

someone does the whip impressions of a golf swing and baseball on an old VHS I have from Australia.

Louie
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

McFly wrote:What I can NOT do though are volleys.
I hear you.... I got more stripes than a tiger learning the hard way the first week I tried it.. What I was doing wrong turned out to be that I needed to hold my arm at a 45 degree angle (previously, I was laying it flat and turning my wrist upwards...) Once I did that and slowly taught my arm the positions as the whip moved, it began to work. Give it a try, believe me, if I can do it, anyone can...... :lol:

Allen
jedidentist
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jedidentist »

I think you have to preface some of these cracks with the type of whip you're using. It's tougher for those of us slingin' 10 footers!
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

jedidentist wrote:I think you have to preface some of these cracks with the type of whip you're using. It's tougher for those of us slingin' 10 footers!

All 10 footers my friend. :TOH:

Allen
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

McFly wrote:I'm also interested in hearing about this victorian cutback, and the whoosh bang
Whoosh bang is underhand flick and circus crack (cattleman's crack).
Victorian cutback - I can't describe it in words but I think a video is worth thousend of them so here you are::
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLwg4ZDh ... annel_page (starts at 26 sec and at 30 sec)
and here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDZFlaDi ... annel_page (about at 1min 12 sec)
And what is Reverse Borton?