Pecards on Cowhide whips

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Blackthorne Rose
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Pecards on Cowhide whips

Post by Blackthorne Rose »

Can Pecards be used on a cowhide bullwhip? Will it change the texture or the look of the whip at all?
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Re: Pecards on Cowhide whips

Post by Sergei »

Blackthorne Rose wrote:Can Pecards be used on a cowhide bullwhip? Will it change the texture or the look of the whip at all?
Will you do need to use something or the leather will dry out. I would recommend Pecards. David Morgan and a legion of other whipmakers recommends the product. In addition, museum curators use the product to restore and maintain leather artifacts. I wouldn't worry about changing the texture. But I would not go overboard. Always apply Pecards with a thin coat and let it dry naturally (not in the sun, not in an oven) after 24 hours. Reapply with another thin coat, if after 24 hours the application was entirely soaked into the leather.

As far as color, it should darken, deepen the color of the cowhide. I have one cowhide whip, a Keppler. That whip is so dark brown, I haven't noticed it turning it darker. But my other roo hide whips, it does make it turn darker brown, but then again most conditioners do that.

I used Pecards on all my leather material including auto upholstery, gloves, boots, etc. A small tub (6 oz.) goes a long way.

I hope this helps....

-Sergei