Trousers & shirt from Wested - dry cleaning?

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

TreacleMiner
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Trousers & shirt from Wested - dry cleaning?

Post by TreacleMiner »

Hi folks,

I just joined the forum recently, happy to be here among so many Indy aficionados :D

Anyways, I've started building my collection of Indy gear and the first items to arrive were a pair of trousers, shirt and belt from Wested.

Regarding the cleaning and upkeep of these items, I noticed that the trousers are "Hand Wash or Dry Clean" - I'm worried that, being wool, they might shrink if I take them to the cleaners. Does anyone have any experience with this?

To play it safe I guess I should just hand-wash them, but I wanted to hear your opinions, or any other advice you might have on upkeep in general :-k

The other items I've ordered include:

8' whip from David Morgan
ROLA lambskin jacket from Wested
Satchel, gunbelt & whip holder from Magnoli
Bag strap & buckle from Wade
Fedora from Adventurebilt

Not sure what I am going to do for the boots, probably shop around here first (Montreal area) to see if I can find something decent.
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Trousers & shirt from Wested - dry cleaning?

Post by Imahomer »

I'm not aware of items shrinking, at least it's never happened to me, when I send them out to be dry cleaned. That's how I have anything nice cleaned. Been doing it that way for years. However, when in doubt, bring it to the cleaners and ask.

Mike
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Yeah, I've never had shrinkage problems at the dry cleaners. They should also guarantee their work and replace your pants if they are ruined. It is best to ask them first, but considering people get things much more valuable than Indy pants dry cleaned all the time, I bet you are pretty safe.

I've had my tuxedo cleaned many times, and it still fits.
jedidentist
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jedidentist »

Definitely less likely to shrink at the dry cleaners than washing at home. Ask them...that's what they do for a living!
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana MarkVII »

I would suggest dry cleaning the pants and cold water washing the shirt, allowing it to drip drip. There's good advice for checking with your local dry cleaner.
BroadSword
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by BroadSword »

Are you planning to wear the shirt pants all time? If not, don't mess with dry cleaning at all!

INDY= Dirty and Beat Up!!

If you completely soil your stuff I'd just cold wash and line dry. I guess it all depends on how you into to wear the items I think.

**This post has been paid for by the Association for the Preservation of a dirty, beat-up Indiana Jones**
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

I wouldn't worry about the shirt. The more you wash it, the better it gets. Definitely dry clean the pants, but beat the H-E-double hockey sticks out of that shirt, and it will love you back!
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Personal experience, wash the shirt but at relatively low temperatures. I've found that the fusing one the collar can bubble over time, I do not know if this is due to high temperature machine washing. It does not ruin the shirt just is no longer 'pristine'.

As for the trousers I would dry clean. You can carefully cold wash by hand but it can shrink the fabric and it looses some of it's shape. You actually get more of a SA look/feel once it has been washed but it might not fit anymore!
barry
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by barry »

Kt Templar wrote:Personal experience, wash the shirt but at relatively low temperatures. I've found that the fusing one the collar can bubble over time, I do not know if this is due to high temperature machine washing. It does not ruin the shirt just is no longer 'pristine'.

As for the trousers I would dry clean. You can carefully cold wash by hand but it can shrink the fabric and it looses some of it's shape. You actually get more of a SA look/feel once it has been washed but it might not fit anymore!
me i hve wested pants and shirt and i wash both in the washer together with very little soap and place them on hangers to dry as for shrink well they where small to start with thats another story but have felt no change in fit but more of the lived in look and feel washed at least 6 or 7 times :|