Gun belt unpractical

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

redsleighdown
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Gun belt unpractical

Post by redsleighdown »

So I was wearing my gear today and thought of something. Wouldn't it be more practical if the web belt and gunbelt were switched (or at least the holster and whip holder)? I'm not talking about switching the side, but I feel like the holster should definitely be put through whichever belt is going through the pant loops. Too many times has my webley been "stuck" in the holster and I end up just lifting the gun holster and gunbelt when trying to take out my gun due to the belt not being secured down by anything. Has anyway else pondered this or encountered this problem?

-Red :twisted:
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Gun belt unpractical

Post by Wade Egan »

I'm with you on that one. The actual screen used set up is not really designed for any kind of endurance or speed at all. But what can you do?

In my opinion, this is how my ideal real world 'Adventure Rig' would go (bottom up):

1) I'd have taller boots with a knife in the outside right and more support/protection.
2) The pants would have removable legs and cargo pockets. It gets really freakin' hot in the jungle.
3) The web belts have always worked for me with pants. But I would never hang anything from one.
4) The gun belt would be a lot thicker and sturdier and a more military design with mag pouches on the front right and back.
5) The pistol would be an HK .45 auto and in a cross draw flap holster placed on the left side riding forward centered.
6) The whip would be secured on the back of the right hip in a super holder with the handle in the wrap facing backward. This is a speed draw rig and would hold the whip tighter against the body so it wouldn't flap around. You'd sit on it sometimes though.
7) The shirt would be a Columbia Titanium shirt. I love them more than anything.
8. The shoulder bag would be more of a tactical sling bag like the Jumbo S-Type Versapak w/ canteen and concealed carry pocket.
9) I'd lose the leather jacket (impractical in almost all travel or light infantry type situations and heavy) and get a good tac vest instead.
10) The hat, it's blasphemy I know, but I'd go with a Tilleys or other crushable, water resistant and lighter weight hat.

*Bonus Gear ~ If we're ever actually dealing with threats like Nazis or things of that nature for some reason*

11) I'd have an HK 416 and a bunch of high capacity mags under my bunk.
12) Ok... and maybe a Kriss .45 auto on hand for emergencies. :-
13) Better gloves, custom made and breathable with knuckle pads.
14) The Whip, I think Mr. Strain has me covered.
15) Last but not least, some really cool shades.

:TOH:
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

....and they had all this gear in the 30's? :P :-
redsleighdown
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by redsleighdown »

But Wade, the true question is, would you wear your bag strap on the inside or outside of your jacket (or is that why you did away with it)? :P

P.S. It was your gunbelt I was wearing. Fits great! Thanks again.
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

redsleighdown wrote:... Too many times has my webley been "stuck" in the holster and I end up just lifting the gun holster and gunbelt when trying to take out my gun due to the belt not being secured down by anything. Has anyway else pondered this or encountered this problem?
-Red :twisted:
Red:
Oh yeah, in my 20+ years in the Army toting an M-1911A1 .45 auto I had this problem just about every time I withdrew the weapon from its holster. However, What I've learned is that you do not want your weapon fitting loose in the holster. Not for the "quick draw" but to insure you don't loose the pistol! The flap on the holster aside, the holster must grip the pistol. The German holsters were loose fitting, but the holster flap buckled closed to prevent the weapon from falling out of the holster.
Of course if you're just standing still or just walking it's not a problem, but if you are engaged in the rigors of combat or combat training the likely hood of you weapon falling out of the holster is high. Thus do most military hand guns, Webley, 1917 .45, M-1911's all have lanyard loops.
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

I meant 'real world' as in today's gear not the thirty's. I still would have opted for the 1911 .45 instead of the revolvers.

I would wear the shoulder bag either over or under the tac vest depending on situations I was to be in. I would also switch the gun from a belt holster to a leg holster with a tie down if 'quick draw' action is to be needed.

:whip:
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

You can't put your holster on your pants belt...otherwise when you need to remove your gun, your pants will go down.

I can only think of one situation where the above scenario would be appropriate. For all other times it would just be awkward for all involved.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

A separate weapon belt goes back to at least the middle ages. I suppose the idea is that you can disarm without drawing a weapon or having to remove clothing. As well as arming. Even modern military and law enforcement carry on this tradition.

Perhaps it's benefits are largely outweighed by other issues now, but I know that many police and security officers use various methods to secure the weapon belt to their regular belt, and tie down the bottom of the holster (like the cowboys do in movies). Although most police rigs today place the gun higher on the hip, which is smarter for drawing purposes.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

True. Indy's belt was a utilitarian use belt, that is, it was intended as a 'tool' rather than a quick draw set up. It was just for toting his revolver on his side, out of the way until he actually required it.

I've worn mine in the woods many a time, and have to say it works perfectly for the requirement it was intended to be used for.

Regards! Micahelson
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Michaelson wrote:True. Indy's belt was a utilitarian use belt, that is, it was intended as a 'tool' rather than a quick draw set up. It was just for toting his revolver on his side, out of the way until he actually required it.

I've worn mine in the woods many a time, and have to say it works perfectly for the requirement it was intended to be used for.

Regards! Micahelson
I use mine in the woods as well. I replace the gun and holster with a hatchet (similar weight), and find it works perfectly. When I want to stop and rest, or if I'm camping and want to relax by a fire, I can easily remove the belt without having to touch the belt that holds up my pants.

I find it VERY practical.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

We have ornry critters like rattlesnakes and copperheads, so I carry my revolver when I'm out.

Regards! Michaelson
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Michaelson wrote:We have ornry critters like rattlesnakes and copperheads, so I carry my revolver when I'm out.

Regards! Michaelson
Another reason I love New England!!! The only place you can find rattlesnakes here is about 5 miles from my house in the Blue Hills, and even there, one hasn't been seen in a long time. Also, in a state like Massachusetts, gun ownership is about as frowned upon as the rest of the constitution, and carrying it in public....they'd probably find SOME reason to arrest you for it!

At least with the hatchet, I can conceal a knife in the handle!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Here in Tennessee, it's almost a crime if you're caught WITHOUT a firearm in your possession. :lol: ;)

Regards! Michaelson
misfit
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by misfit »

Michaelson wrote:Here in Tennessee, it's almost a crime if you're caught WITHOUT a firearm in your possession. :lol: ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Same hear in Arizona, I love how polite people are when everyone has the right to carry. \:D/
Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ranger36 »

:rolling:
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

That's why in LC and CS he puts the web belt AND gun belt through the whip holder

Kyle
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

Well, now days the make "keepers" to attach a police gunbelt to the belt that is holding up the pants. But, that's different thank Indys situation. He carries the gun as one of his tools that hopefully he'll not have to use. He won't be doing "quick draws" or such, so he only needs to have it where he can get to it. If Indy were a soldier, a cop, or something similar I'd vote to change the whole set up.