Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Nevada Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

GB Expedition Price Bump

Post by Nevada Jones »

Hello All,

Just wanted to give all members a head's up if you're considering getting a GB Expedition. Yesterday I ordered my second GB Ex. The price has gone up $40 to $488 for the Goat. The price is NOT reflected on the Internet site yet (still shows the old price), though I believe I was told it is reflected in the new catalog.

They agreed to honor the price as reflected on the site, but only after I talked to a supervisor. Understandably this has caused them some problems with "surprised" customers.

They've been trying to update the Internet site now for four years, but I was told it really should be happening now within the next few weeks.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: GB Expedition Price Bump

Post by Michaelson »

Thanks for the heads up! :M: :tup:

It honestly doesn't suprise me, though. :(

Regards! Michaelson
Nevada Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Nevada Jones »

The fact that they increased their price doesn't surprise you, or the fact that it took a supervisor to honor the advertised price?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Yes to the first....and 'that sometimes happens, not sure why' to the second... :[

Regards! Michaelson
Nevada Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Nevada Jones »

Well, the customer service from GB is very good, but this time I could tell they were all pretty frustrated. Evidently the website issue has been causing all kinds of problems with not meeting customer expectations, and in customer service managing expectations is everything.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yeah, that's occurred at both G&B AND Wings in the past. The disconnect is frustrating for all involved! :-s

Regards! Michaelson
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

In this day and age that is simply... perplexing. They must honour the lowest advertised price. The web price should be the simplest to change, not the hardest.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Agreed 100%.

Regards! Michaelson
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Nevada Jones wrote:......

They've been trying to update the Internet site now for four years, but I was told it really should be happening now within the next few weeks.
Four years? :shock:

obviously the price increase wasn't meant for four years ago .......?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yeah, not sure why they're having such problems with their website, but their old FlightSuit.com site is still up too!

http://www.flightsuits.com/

They haven't been 'FlightSuits' for several years now.

I have a copy of their brand new catalog laying on my desk in front of me, and it's Gibson & Barnes.

As has been said, their customer service and production folks are top drawer, but this has really been an odd situation regarding the website.

Regards! Michaelson
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

If you Internet search Gibson & Barnes pretty much all you get is 'flightsuits.com'

entering gibson-barnes.com as an address brings up flightsuits.com too

They need to fire their Webmaster.
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

RCSignals wrote:If you Internet search Gibson & Barnes pretty much all you get is 'flightsuits.com'

entering gibson-barnes.com as an address brings up flightsuits.com too

They need to fire their Webmaster.
They tried to fire him...four years ago. :Plymouth:
Harry Gooch
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Harry Gooch »

Raising prices during a recession as deep as this one seems unwise.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I agree, but it seems to be the mindset right now. One I'm not sure I quite understand....but hey, I'm just a university distance learning videographer. What do I know about economics? :roll: :lol: ;)

Regards! Michaelson
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Well, from an Australian point of view that is still good value for a premium jacket. I can pay lots more than that here for a leather jacket of less substantial manufacture.

Cheers
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

I agree CM, it's not that big of a price jump.
I understand they haven't had an increase in a while, and even though 'the economy' is always on peoples mind, G+B's costs have likely gone up as well.
pfmundy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by pfmundy »

I purchased an expedition jacket last week. I did ask them if the price was as quoted in the website. The person on the line stated that it was. 468.00 I was charged 485.00 i think. I will have to check on that tommorrow. I had sent out a post inquiring about the best jacket to purchase. Most that replied seem to think that the flight suit (GB) coat was the best to go with besides the Todds and tony nowak. Has anyone recently purchased an expedition recently who can advise if they are pleased with it or not. I was reading on this post that some people have been disappointed because the coat doesnt meet the standards that the website boasts.

thanks

pfmundy
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Ive been really curious about the gibson and barnes jacket. for one change I would like to NOT think about getting the SA factor on a high level and still feel raiders in the jacket.

so my question is to those in know, is the dark br goat really dark? or is it just the photos that makes it look darker then it really is?

and probably rundquist will answer to this one. the black goat.. hows that?.. grey undertones or brown?
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

As far as the brown goes, it is really dark. It's probably the darkest Indy jacket I own.
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

Yep, next to my dark brown CS, my goat G&B looks nearly black. It has very little wear at the moment; the thing is impervious to damage it would seem.
I'm guessing the undertones, if any, would be of the grey variety when they finally appear. Or perhaps it's just the same very dark brown all the way through, I don't know...
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Nothing has changed regarding the quality discussions. It's still top drawer as far as I'm concerned. Personally I split my time between my TN and my G&B when it's jacket wearing time. They're equal in my eyes.

We're just talking about the price increase. You got a great jacket, and it will last and last and last....

Regards! Michaelson

pfmundy wrote:I purchased an expedition jacket last week. I did ask them if the price was as quoted in the website. The person on the line stated that it was. 468.00 I was charged 485.00 i think. I will have to check on that tommorrow. I had sent out a post inquiring about the best jacket to purchase. Most that replied seem to think that the flight suit (GB) coat was the best to go with besides the Todds and tony nowak. Has anyone recently purchased an expedition recently who can advise if they are pleased with it or not. I was reading on this post that some people have been disappointed because the coat doesnt meet the standards that the website boasts.

thanks

pfmundy
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Does anyone know offhand what the back length and sleeve length of a G&B in a size 42R is? (or even a 40 or 44)

I have the highest regard for their quality too. Their stuff is "stand in the rain/snow and stay comfy" good and still have a jacket when it's over.
pfmundy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by pfmundy »

my expedition came today. i am really pleased with it. to answer the last question my coat is a 42 regular and my back length was 22 inch and sleeves were 33

pfmundy
pfmundy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by pfmundy »

photo of my expedition

pf
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

this is the dark goat right? love it and those flaps aswell :tup:

care to take some pictures of the jacket in natural dayligh and sunlight?
bobjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by bobjones »

pfmundy wrote:photo of my expedition

pf
PF!!!! Get it off that plastic hangar!!!! A leather jacket is probably best stored flat, but if you really want to keep it hung, use a VERY wide wooden or cushioned shoulder hanger.

Prolonged hanging on a thin hangar like what is in the picture will leave the shoulders with a stretched-out shape... ;(

As for the jacket quality, I have Aeros, and I have a G&B goat expo, and you'd be VERY hard-pressed to find better quality than those 2 makers...
pfmundy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by pfmundy »

it is actually the dark brown lamb. i can take some other photos of it when it is daylight. thanks for the heads up about the hangar. I was hanging it to take a photo of it. i will probably store it flat.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

So pfmundy, 33 sleeve is about 7" from the collar to the shoulder and 26" from the shoulder to the wrist? Are you sure the back is 22"? That sounds awfully short to me, but the jacket looks perfect.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

33" should be from the center back, as you would measure sleeve length for a shirt.

Are you sure it's a 42 regular not a 42 short?
pfmundy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by pfmundy »

i dont know if it is a short or not. i gave the person at flightsuits my measurements. 41 chest, 33 sleeves measured from middle of back over shoulder down to the sleeve, 18 shoulders, and 22 back length. he took the measurements and told me it would be about a week. the tag in the coat says 42 regular. I dont know if my measurements fit into a 42 reg or if it they just take a 42 reg coat and modify it.
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

pf, what does it measure at shoulder sean (bottom of collar to shoulder seam) and from shoulder seam to cuff and please remeasure bottom of collar to bottom of back panel and length of storm flap.....thanks
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

thanks pf. Sounds like they made it to your measurements, which is great.
I was told here before that G+B doesn't do that for the Indy jacket, good to hear they do.
pfmundy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by pfmundy »

from bottom of collar to bottom of coat is 24 1/2 approx. that is the measurement of the coat but the measurement i gave them was 22 inches. I know nothing about tailoring so i dont know if that is normal when you give your measurements or not but it fits me well and i am 5'08 and 160 lbs measurements from end of shoulder seam to end of cuff is 24 inch

pf
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

ah, that sounds about right. Nice jacket pf
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

G&B takes different measurments, as we would know them. Typically, we think of back length from the bottom of the collar stand to the end of the jacket, and sleeve length from the shoulder seam to the cuff. G&B measures from the bottom of the shirt collar to the bottom of the pants waist band, and sleeves from the spine to the sleeve cuff.

I've seen just about all jackets from most every manufacturer, excluding TN. Yet the one jacket that I have received that most looked like the Raiders jacket, and could back the reputation up in terms of the highest quality hide & best construction, was the G&B Lamb. The 30 day Satisfaction guarantee, 1 year defects warranty, and the zipper/stitching guarantee per the life of the jacket, (if you are the original owner) only enhances its value.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I've owned a goat in the past but I would really like to have a look at the lamb. Obviously, it's not in the neighborhood of goat in terms of strength but does it feel like it would last?
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

What you do with it, its intended use means alot. It is still lamb, but as you may already know, they only use Type A & B hides.