JPD Reblock with vintage hat block

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Indiana Green
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

JPD Reblock with vintage hat block

Post by Indiana Green »

After trying my hand at plaster, and styrofoam to make my own block, I decided to look around and buy a vintage one. After browsing the 'bay for a while, I stumbled upon a really great looking block that just happened to be the right size. I got a pretty good deal on it, and also bought a flange that was supposed to go with the block, though they were sold separately. On a side note, the bottom has 4 C's carved in it, and there's a stamp on top with the faint words "Cross Country", just in case any experienced hatters would know what this means. Anyway, I digress. The hat I used was a Jimmy Pierce that I had attempted to reblock before on several styrofoam blocks, rather unsuccessfully. It turned out much better this time, but I must urge viewers to ignore the brim, as 1) I was very impatient with my brim break, flattening and flanging and 2) Jimmy went a little crazy with the dimensional cut and shortened the sides a lot. Without further delay, here's the album:

http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh12 ... 20Reblock/
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Re: JPD Reblock with vintage hat block

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I have a vintage Dobbs hat which is a Cross Country model. Might be for that hat? If so, and it's a 7 1/4, send it to me. :lol:
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Looks like you lost some brim width in the reblocking. I think it looks great though. You did a bang up job.

Dave
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Are you a giants fan?

There us nothing wrong with ironing a ribbon before you take it on.

John
Indycrazy5187
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indycrazy5187 »

ah my beloved New York Giants. Big year from Bradshaw hopefully. Yes, it's off topic from this thread but I just had to say it.
Indiana Green
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Green »

;) :lol: Actually, I made sure my Giants Fathead was in the background of that shot. I knew John was a NYG fan already, and figured he might chime in. I'm really hoping that this will be a big year for the G-men with Plax the Distraction out of the picture.

Back to the topic at hand, I knew the brim would be screwy since it was already kind of short. I did this reblock mostly as a test to see how this block looked, and as a practice round before I make a hat from start to finish (I already have all of the supplies on the way). Overall, I'm very satisfied with how the crown came out. And John, I appreciate any help you can offer. I actually did iron the ribbon a little bit, but it was already in pretty bad shape from when I messed with this hat before. Anyway, I'm hoping that this will prove to be a good learning experience so that my first homemade hat will be nice enough to wear around. Please keep giving me your feedback!

Jordan

(BTW, you have no idea how hard it is to live in Pittsburgh and NOT like the Steelers...these people are rabid!)
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Well, the block gives a nice crown shape. I like it. Nice crease too.

Dave
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Same here on the Giants stuff but back to the hat. Did you put something over the ribbon when you ironed it? and wet it down?
Indiana Green
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Green »

Actually, I just sort of ran the iron over it really quick. I was sort of impatient with some of the processes because I wanted to see how the finished hat would look. Like I said, this was just a practice hat. I ordered Todd's ribbon for my next hat, so I'll take alot better care when I make this hat. Do you suggest dry ironing for the ribbon before it's tacked on? I'll take any advice I can from the experienced hatters on this site :D Which, by the way, do the experienced hatters have any opinion on the crown shape?
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

First you need to find some real at ribbon and spray it with some water. Lay something over it ( thin towel) and then iron it.
fedoraiders
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoraiders »

I like your crown shape and i think that your hat block is very good.

Great Job!
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Which, by the way, do the experienced hatters have any opinion on the crown shape?

Yes, a great block shape. It's a number 52 block, which means nothing really. My own number 52 blocks are totally different. No consistency in block numbers from one blockmaker to the next. Fedora
Indiana Green
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Green »

Thanks alot guys, I really appreciate the compliments. I can't wait to make a hat from scratch. This is a fascinating hobby, I must admit.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Is this one of the Curry specials?
Indiana Green
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Green »

I can't remember if the Curry was the cheaper of the two options, but I bought the more expensive $160 hat, if that tells you anything.
squidkidd
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by squidkidd »

Indiana Green wrote:I can't remember if the Curry was the cheaper of the two options, but I bought the more expensive $160 hat, if that tells you anything.
That was Winchester felt at that price. Pretty good stuff. I'd stay away from Todd's, it's not actual hat ribbon. It doesn't have a finished edge and looks frayed. Try contacting Steve or Mark or John and see if they'll sell you some of the real deal. If not your best bet is getting black ribbon from hat supply's website.

Regards,
Brian