Whip Show at Space Center Houston NASA

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Robert Duke
Vendor

Whip Show at Space Center Houston NASA

Post by Robert Duke »

I just got booked to do a half hour whip show on July 5th. I am very excited about it. See details at link.
http://www.spacecenter.org/CurrentExhibit.html
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Re: Whip Show at Space Center Houston NASA

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Here's a question, can you crack a whip in zero gravity, or is it somewhat dependent on gravity in order for the whip to flow correctly?
twilekjedi
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by twilekjedi »

Cool! I've been hoping that someone from COW would be able to go to this exhibit. Post some photos, if you can!
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

I should think that one could crack a whip in zero-g (but getting it in a good throwing position might prove interesting), however, it would be impossible to do in the vacuum of space (no air, no sonic boom...).
Skip
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Skip »

Canuck Digger wrote:I should think that one could crack a whip in zero-g (but getting it in a good throwing position might prove interesting), however, it would be impossible to do in the vacuum of space (no air, no sonic boom...).
Franco is right about the vacuum... When a whip moves through the air, pressure waves are produced. When the whip exceeds the speed of sound the pressure waves compress and produce a shock wave. The shock wave is heard as a crack.

But I believe that cracking a whip in a 0g atmosphere would be impossible. Gravity helps to keep the whip in position as it’s rolling out.

Think of this… If you were hanging by your feet up-side-down, to you gravity would be pulling you up. When you try to throw a whip in this position gravity would, from your perspective, pull the thong up. In 0g up and down have no meaning at all. It would make for an interesting experiment..

skip
www.handmadewhips.com
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

According to the mathematical models of Goriely and McMillan, a whip would crack in zero G, because it really has more to do with centrepedal force and angular momentum than gravity, (though gravity does help with vertical cracks.) But yeah, you'd have to be anchored to something due to Newtonian stuff to do it easily, (equal and opposite reaction.)

And a whip would WORK in vacuum. The energy would travel the same, but there would be no bowshock as there is no medium, (air,) to transfer the energy of the whip to, so there would be no crack, obviously.

(been reading TOO MUCH Goriely and McMillan! Someone SHOOT me!)

By the way, good luck with the show, Robert!

-D
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

Yes, a whip would work in a vacuum; I simply said it wouldn't crack...

Franco
raider 57
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by raider 57 »

OK , Now we've got a reason to return to the Moon!!! First Indy whip crack on the Lunar surface!!! But alas, no sound! :whip: :-$
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

Tehehe. Call in Ben Burt!
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

At the time that Franco was posting, so was I.

And yeah! Call Ben Burt! He's the ONLY man for the job!
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

raider 57 wrote:OK , Now we've got a reason to return to the Moon!!! First Indy whip crack on the Lunar surface!!! But alas, no sound! :whip: :-$
"That's one small crack for man... one giant BOOM for man—err... I didn't hear anything, did you?"

:lol:

I know that the vacuum would render the sound waves null and void, but I am interested in how a whip could work in 0 g. While I know the air is there to support the sound waves, getting the flow and action of the whip to cooperate seems like no small feat to me. I agree in that I think that gravity would help keep the whip in proper position in order to roll out and crack effectively. That, and trying to ground yourself to get a good throwing position would be difficult at best, as well as cheating in my criteria for such an experiment. I suppose if you had a small whip and tried to do a short "towel crack" it might be possible, but I think you'd end up hitting yourself and swearing like a probe landing on the surface of Mercury. But doing a typical crack with an 8 foot bullwhip? I'd like to see NASA try it. :)
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

THAT'S IT!

I think that's the next Guinness Record for Adam Winrich! Number of bullwhip cracks in Zero G!!

I'd give Adam hurling on the Vomit Comet 5 stars!
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

:-0 :rolling: Puking at the speed of sound. :lol: :lol: :lol: