Indy's Draw

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Rhode Island: The Tiny State That's Actually NOT An Island...and no, I'm not from "Quahog"

Indy's Draw

Post by Indiana Neri »

If you notice in the Indy movies (Raiders being the most obvious), Indy/HF draws his whip with two fingers and his thumb. This is especially noticeable in the SoC scene. Is this a common or "proper" draw? What are the advantages/disadvantages, if any? I would think that you couldn't grasp the handle well with the whip between your middle and ring finger :-k

;)
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Rhode Island: The Tiny State That's Actually NOT An Island...and no, I'm not from "Quahog"

Re: Indy's Draw

Post by Indiana Neri »

No one else seemed to notice that :-k I must be going out of my mind then. I must have even dreamt that I saw a screengrab someplace, too.

:-s
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

He takes the whip from the holder like that so that it doesn't uncoil until he releases the two fingers. If he held all the coils in one hand he wouldn't be able to hold the handle and let the whip uncoil. If he only held the handle, the whip would uncoil as he took it from the holder and would wrap around his legs. If you have a whip, try doing a draw and you'll see that it's the logical way to do it. You grip the handle with two fingers, keep the coils with two fingers, then let go of the coils to uncoil the whip and use all fingers to grip the handle while you beat the #### out of your opponents. :whip:
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana County Jr. »

Great screen grab Whiskeyman!

Pure street justice.... "Jones Style"!

Crack On! :whip:
Allen
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Neri »

Hmmm....tell you the truth, I've never really noticed HOW my hand grabs my whip. I THINK I grab the entire coil with my hand and release when I'm ready to "throw". Dang it, now I have to wait for tomorrow to try it out. ](*,) :whip:

;)
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

That is pretty cool - gonna have to try that grab next time. Image